Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Position of Tesla Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a model Y in the next month and looking at options of location of any charging solution. I have purchased the Tesla wall connector in both 8.5 and 18ft lengths and debating where to install in my garage. With the pics below, I have a wall diving garage bays behind where the charge port will go. Car will park where the white VW is right now. I wonder if a shorter cable would work there but then if connected it will be difficult to go and put something into the trunk. If I put it the 18ft on the right side wall behind the car, the cable will lay on the floor behind the car. Often in winter or rain the water that comes off the car flows behind the car to the garage door and therefore would leave cable laying in water or melting snow.
If I put it on the wall above the snowblower in the picture on the left front of the car, that wall is about 18ft on the floor from rear taillight of the VW where the Tesla charge port will be and that does not take into account the additional vertical height from floor to port and to connector on wall so not sure it would fit. The short cable wall connector would keep the cable off the floor but would block trunk easy access as it doesn’t lay on the floor.
many thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• 904511E9-435E-4D41-9E4F-4E9E781E3B3D.jpeg
    904511E9-435E-4D41-9E4F-4E9E781E3B3D.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 392
  • E062D1EE-3894-437A-8944-B4FB1C396209.jpeg
    E062D1EE-3894-437A-8944-B4FB1C396209.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 3893BD8B-B455-4781-9920-0BA6EDA33DC8.jpeg
    3893BD8B-B455-4781-9920-0BA6EDA33DC8.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 1CAE2961-E8AF-4F4D-9B49-6C6375755032.jpeg
    1CAE2961-E8AF-4F4D-9B49-6C6375755032.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 323
To the right of the garage door in pic 1 would be my choice like in the picture below. Cable can be submerged, no issue with melting snow run off. Many have them mounted outdoors directly in the elements.

8.5' is much too restrictive, I suggest returning it. 18' will give you so many more options when you cannot park exactly where you need to. Plus you can even bring it under the door and charge outside if need be. Just leave the excess on the wall connector.

I cannot see the 8.5' option useful to many at all unless you have a really skinny, tight garage and end up almost against the wall at the same location all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmunRa51 and MY-Y
Are you planning to return one of the Wall Connectors? The best location I see in your garage for installing the Wall Connector would be the divider wall between the garage doors. I would definitely install the Wall Connector with the 18 foot charging cord, return the Wall Connector with the shorter cord. You can leave the extra charging cord looped over the Wall Connector. With all of the tools, bicycles, tires in your garage you don't want to be hopping around or over another obstacle such as a charging cord that you won't see in the dark, easily walk into and possibly damage the Tesla's charging port. There is no issue with the charging cord laying on the ground or garage floor even if the floor is wet. (I have seen installations where the charging cord is run up and over to where the charging port is on the vehicle, suspended within an overhead cable trough. The end of the charging cord with the charging connector is connected to a spring loaded reel.)

Last edited:
Are you planning to return one of the Wall Connectors? The best location I see in your garage for installing the Wall Connector would be the divider wall between the garage doors. I would definitely install the Wall Connector with the 18 foot charging cord, return the Wall Connector with the shorter cord. You can leave the extra charging cord looped over the Wall Connector. With all of the tools, bicycles, tires in your garage you don't want to be hopping around or over another obstacle such as a charging cord that you won't see in the dark, easily walk into and possibly damage the Tesla's charging port. There is no issue with the charging cord laying on the ground or garage floor even if the floor is wet. (I have seen installations where the charging cord is run up and over to where the charging port is on the vehicle, suspended within an overhead cable trough. The end of the charging cord with the charging connector is connected to a spring loaded reel.)
Yes I was planning on returning the wall charger I do not plan on using. Thank you for the information, I guess also the model Y might be a little shorter in length than my atlas and therefore I will have more room behind it to step over the cable to get to the trunk.
To the right of the garage door in pic 1 would be my choice like in the picture below. Cable can be submerged, no issue with melting snow run off. Many have them mounted outdoors directly in the elements.

8.5' is much too restrictive, I suggest returning it. 18' will give you so many more options when you cannot park exactly where you need to. Plus you can even bring it under the door and charge outside if need be. Just leave the excess on the wall connector.

I cannot see the 8.5' option useful to many at all unless you have a really skinny, tight garage and end up almost against the wall at the same location all the time.

This is a helpful picture. I think there is still enough space behind th ecar to step over the charging cord to put something into the trunk. Plus more than likely I will only charge 1-2 a week as my daily commute is only about 15-20 miles.

Looks good. Larger loops for any excess charging cord are best as there is less heat build up when charging than if the charging cord is tightly coiled.

You might want to add a charging cable hanger / organizer like this one (you can find many similar cable hanger/organizers on Amazon, eBay and Etsy)
https://www.amazon.com/GUAIMI-Organizer-Connector-Compatible-Accessories/dp/B08Q7V9SZG/
is the charging cord holder like what you showed to remove the cables from the wall unit so that the wall unit doesn't heat up or that the cables and the heat they produce doesn't affect the wall unit?

All of the charging components (Wall Connector, charging cord, charging connector) can get warm while charging. The charging cord holder, while not required, organizes the charging cord and provides a way to secure the charging connector. The Wall Connector may feel warm to the touch while charging (this is normal.) The issue with tightly coiling any excess charging cord is that when charging the tightly looped coils can trap the heat from the charging cord in the coils. This is true whether or not you use a charging cord holder. Having fewer, larger and looser coils for the excess charging cord allows more air flow around the charging cord, less heat built up. (Leaving the excess charging cord on the garage floor while charging is fine, probably helps keep the charging cord cool as the garage floor can serve as a heat sink to draw heat away from the charging cord.)

Last edited:
All of the charging components (Wall Connector, charging cord, charging connector) can get warm while charging. The charging cord holder, while not required, organizes the charging cord and provides a way to secure the charging connector. The Wall Connector may feel warm to the touch while charging (this is normal.) The issue with tightly coiling any excess charging cord is that when charging the tightly looped coils can trap the heat from the charging cord in the coils. This is true whether or not you use a charging cord holder. Having fewer, larger and looser coils for the excess charging cord allows more air flow around the charging cord, less heat built up. (Leaving the excess charging cord on the garage floor while charging is fine, probably helps keep the charging cord cool as the garage floor can serve as a heat sink to draw heat away from the charging cord.)
thanks for that explanation. With regard to securing the charging connector, is the socket on the right side of the wall connector no adequate for that purpose...only reason that I ask is that I have seen pics of similar separate charging connector holders for the plug and the extra loops and didn' tknow if the one on the unit was less than ideal?

The charging connector holder on the right side of the Wall Connector would serve the same purpose of securing the connector when not charging also keeping water out of the connector if it is an outdoor installation.

Many times the separate cable organizers and charging connector holders are used with the Tesla Mobile Connector as a way to hang up the charging cord and secure the connector. The Mobile Connector does not provide a way to hang the charging cord or have a built in holder for the charging connector.

Last edited:
I just built a new garage and installed the short cord version next to the charge port on the garage door wall. I chose the short cord version because my old garage has the long cord and it's always a mess of random loops on the wall and floor making obstacles.
Very happy with the short cord. It's neat and tidy. Easy to plug in and hang up and it doesn't drag on the floor.

I just built a new garage and installed the short cord version next to the charge port on the garage door wall. I chose the short cord version because my old garage has the long cord and it's always a mess of random loops on the wall and floor making obstacles.
Very happy with the short cord. It's neat and tidy. Easy to plug in and hang up and it doesn't drag on the floor.
i debated this as well. The option of charging outside if needed ( highly unlikely) an the concern that the cord connected would not allow me to get to my trunk without climbing over it or under it made me choose the 18ft. ..but I do still wonder if the shorter one would have been nicer look...it is still at home labeled to return ....hmmm..

i debated this as well. The option of charging outside if needed ( highly unlikely) an the concern that the cord connected would not allow me to get to my trunk without climbing over it or under it made me choose the 18ft. ..but I do still wonder if the shorter one would have been nicer look...it is still at home labeled to return ....hmmm..
I don't find it a problem to step over the cord to get to the trunk. It sits very low to the ground and, of course, if I'm going out, I need to unplug it anyway. It hasn't been an issue. The longer cord in my other garage was always in the way with loops on the ground.

Now that you have the Wall Connector installed you can measure off 8.5 feet of charging cord and see if that meets your needs. (Until you have the Model Y parked inside your garage you would have to estimate the distance to the Tesla Model Y's charging port, account for the height of the Tesla Model Y's charging port. I believe that Tesla includes the length of the charging connector in the 8.5 foot measurement of the charging cord, also the 18 foot charging cord.

Take the length of the Model Y as 187 inches (15 feet, 7 inches). Add a suitable distance from the back wall of the garage, perhaps 24 inches. Then subtract 1 foot from the rear of the Model Y for the location of the charging port. The height of the charging port from the floor is ~3.5 feet, (~40 to 41 inches.)

Last edited:
I don't find it a problem to step over the cord to get to the trunk. It sits very low to the ground and, of course, if I'm going out, I need to unplug it anyway. It hasn't been an issue. The longer cord in my other garage was always in the way with loops on the ground.
Do you have picture of your setup plugged in and charging? I am not sure I could change it now that it is installed. I guess I could just swap the front plates as that is what the cable is attached to. But I wondering if the QR code is on both the back plate and the front glass cover.

Do you have picture of your setup plugged in and charging? I am not sure I could change it now that it is installed. I guess I could just swap the front plates as that is what the cable is attached to. But I wondering if the QR code is on both the back plate and the front glass cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_093048_216.jpg
    IMG_20210501_093048_216.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20210501_093402_702.jpg
    IMG_20210501_093402_702.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20210501_093734_676.jpg
    IMG_20210501_093734_676.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 341