Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive Ordering, Payment, Delivery Experience Out-of-State

Ampre Sand

Nov 18, 2016
Seattle
I wanted to provide a report of a positive experience purchasing and receiving our new Model 3 LR AWD at the Scottsdale AZ Service Center. My concerns having read too much of this forum (haha) were unfounded. The car was delivered in as good of a condition, and perhaps better, than any new car I've previously purchased. Thinking back, most cars I've purchased in the past always ended up with a "we owe" statement for something missing or needing to be adjusted / fixed.

Panel fitment is excellent, no scratches or scuffs, and everything complete. "Touch free" delivery was uneventful and like a party complete with music and reps available to answer questions. There were two or three rows of covered parking spots for active deliveries. The auto transporters were bringing more cars in as fast as new owners were driving them away.

After a quick once-over, I accepted delivery via the web portal, then was able to unlock my new car using the Tesla app. There were a couple sheets of paper to sign in a folder on the passenger's seat, and the deed was done. I didn't even have to worry about paying for it, since I had seen to that the day before using the, again uneventful, Plaid ACH.

As I snow-bird to AZ, my purchase was "out-of-state" since the car will be registered in my home state. There was some initial consternation from my home state Tesla rep, but he researched it, got in touch with the folks at Scottsdale, and found out it's no big deal so long as we filled out and uploaded a state-specific non-resident affidavit, and there was a similar statement to sign at day of delivery. I imagine all the auto dealers in Scottsdale are accustomed to out-of-state purchases... it is a great place to visit and shop for cars / motorcycles.

The car looks better than I imagined and is a hoot to drive! It does have the new headlights and was manufactured this month.

Tholland

Apr 22, 2019
Ocean City, MD
Tesla does a lot of wrong and they are always blasted for it. Thank you for showing a positive and great experience it sounds like with Tesla! They need more of this when they do right by customer. Congratulations and welcome.

dmurphy

Woof.
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
Congratulations and welcome!!

Regardless of what you read on a forum like this, Tesla customer satisfaction is right at the top of the mark. They wouldn't sell every single car they build if it weren't.

Enjoy the car -- have a blast; it'll continue to impress you day in and day out! Mine is almost 2 years old now and I still itch to drive it every.single.day. And then about once a month or so, the car downloads a software update that makes it like a new car all over again. I've never owned anything like this before!

Enjoy it -- have a blast!

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
They wouldn't sell every single car they build if it weren't.
Of course they sell them eventually, like other automakers. but certainly not always right away. It's not like every car Tesla builds is for immediate sale. They build plenty of cars on spec and have hundreds of new inventory cars available that are several months old and still unsold.

dmurphy

Woof.
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Very few. Tesla's DOI (days of inventory) right now is about 64.

Industry average?

TSLA | Days Inventory Outstanding (DIO) Chart and History 2011-2020 | DiscoverCI

Right now, new vehicle inventories are down overall. According to Cox/vAuto data reported in September, the average days’ supply in the U.S. was 58 days and even lower on average for luxury brands e.g., Land Rover was only 19 days, Lexus was 29 days, and BMW was 32 days.

None of these types of data prove much of anything as far as "customer satisfaction."

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC