Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive Post: 25k miles in and I love my S100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading a lot of negatively titled posts. I always remember that people only post on forums when they're having a problem. Tesla has sold hundreds of thousands of cars and we only see 2 negative posts per week at most? While I understand the rate of issues is probably higher than the rate of an established company, its still a very small percentage.

I wanted to share my positive Tesla experience. I bought an inventory s100d in April 2018 (car from Nov2017) and saved about $12k over new because it had 3k miles as a demo car. This was before the price drop. It was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen.

I then drove the car x-country when I moved from Boston to San Diego, supercharger to supercharger. I absolutely love how big and comfortable this car is. My wife does too. So does my dog who gets the whole back seat (yes I cover them). The autopilot made the trip SO much easier. The car is so fast I can't even imagine owning a ludicrous model. I maybe floored the car 2x in the year I've owned it. Its just so much power always available, never needs to down shift. Its just amazing to me.

I look at what the competition has to offer. The competition still hasn't caught up with the efficiency and range of a car that was developed in the back room of a rocket factory in 2011. Think about that. Even the new audi and jaguar (76 MPGe) doesn't even come close to the efficiency of the S (102 MPGe). Their range is significantly lower and they have huge batteries too. Even comparing to the X (93 MPGe) they're bad. And that's not even talking about the 3, which is 130 MPGe! Think about this - the Model 3 goes ~310 miles on less than 3 gallons of gas (assuming 75kwh battery and kwh/gal of 33.35. That's just mind blowing when you think there are so many people driving around with gas guzzling vehicles, getting in the single digits and teens with their pickups. They go 18 MILES on a gallon and the Model 3 goes 130!

My wife and I (and dog) take SO many more trips now. We drive up into the mountains and camp while sleeping in our car. We bought a fold up mattress that fits in the back with the seats down and put on Camper Mode. We hop in the car on a whim and drive to Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo or Palomar Mountain or Julian or Temcula etc. etc. = almost every week.

My electricity provider SDG&E lets me charge at night from 12am-6am for only $0.06/kwh. That's enough time to always have a full car for next to nothing. I have free unlimited supercharging for life. I have solar, and enough of it that the equivalent energy in solar always goes into the grid making the car essentially powered off the sun. I love that I can charge my car up myself with energy I produce. Its just so amazing.

We also have a 2014 Chevy Spark EV which we bought in 2019. By the time we got it it had 15% battery degradation. It displays, at most, a range of 80 miles, but typically only 66 miles (driving habits affect its estimated range). My wife drives that car 78.5 miles once a week to work in Irvine. She arrives with ~5 miles of range and plugs in at a ChargePoint. That's pretty insane, but we just love electric vehicles. We really want a Model Y standard range; going to sell the Spark for it.

This was kind of a rant but just wanted to say I still feel the magic of Tesla and what Elon Musk is trying to do. I get that so many mistakes were made along the way, and he's terrible with timelines and broken promises. I think it would do everyone really good if we collectively calmed down about these upgrades to AP3 and MCU2. There's ALWAYS going to be something better or cooler. Even if we get the AP3 upgrade, AP4 is around the corner. Then what - we can't get that. Is AP3 going to be enough for people? No, they'll demand the AP4. Guys - AP1 and AP2 is amazing! Our cars drive themselves. Slow down and smell the electrons because we have just incredible vehicles. I have an electric car that goes over 300 miles on a charge, is a sub-5 second 0-60 car, has a 17" screen, and basically drives itself. I honestly couldn't ask for more.

I love my car and yours is an excellent post! After reading through the comments of a lot of the current threads there is some negativity but what you do find is most us do love our cars, love them! Where the negativity seems to stem from is that existing customers are not feeling the love from Tesla when there is an issue. This isn't my experience, my visits to service centres and the work carried out has been exemplary but after reading some of the troubles others have had i feel very fortunate!

Great post @Joelgjr

I have an S85D and a RWD 3 LR. Love them both. My wife feels the same about them, especially the S. They are the best cars I have ever owned, way better I could have even imagined.

I do worry about availability of parts and service when needed, but i have rarely needed them. Whenever I have needed service, Tesla has fixed the cars promptly under the warranty. They also provided Model S loaners, making drop off and pickup easier.

GSP

Ditto! We’ve had a 2016 90D and now a 2018 100D. I guess one can start to get used to the instant power, the smooth power curve, the regen braking, no gas, the amazing google map, music on the fly, no gas, the enormous sunroof, cavernous space, gorgeous looks, no gas, clean lines, awesome handling/suspension, futuristic interior oh and no gas

Thank you for reminding us what we have right in front of us every day. Be blessed Familia Tesla...we’re fortunate to own a piece of humanity’s modern innovation and creativity at its best :)

Many of us paid more than $100K for our Tesla cars if we bought new (I bought a CPO and later a used one). There are some owners old enough who may have paid less for their house than a new P100D.

When stuff breaks unreasonably early, is b0rked due to stupid untested software bugs (browser traffic overlay CPU consumption), is a huge hassle to get repaired, or people feel that Tesla is ignoring its customers, people will complain. Loudly.

Happy owners aren’t posting here often because they’re enjoying their ride!

When my 100D got rear ended three weeks ago, I felt like I lost a family member. I seriously mourned for a week. Still not over it.

I've already put in an order for another because I can't wait for it to be fixed! We'll sell our 75 when it comes back so we'll both have the big battery and better seats.

Driving it is the best part of my day, every day.

I love my car and yours is an excellent post! After reading through the comments of a lot of the current threads there is some negativity but what you do find is most us do love our cars, love them! Where the negativity seems to stem from is that existing customers are not feeling the love from Tesla when there is an issue. This isn't my experience, my visits to service centres and the work carried out has been exemplary but after reading some of the troubles others have had i feel very fortunate!

This. We ALL love the car. But the rest of the business, especially customer service and service experience are extremely inconsistent and subpar.

Reactions: georgewyull
ALL car forums seem to be negative based. I notice this on the Corvette and Jeep forums. But Corvette and Jeep owners love their cars too. ;) But like those forums, I learned so much about my car before purchasing. TMC has been so helpful regarding issues I have had (not many) and how to correct some. Happy Tesla owners, which is most of us, don't always talk about the positives. My 36 month lease is up in August and I cannot imagine getting any other car

We are a have two Model S's and have owned three. My next car will be a Model S or the Truck, and both my kids are completely sold on electric, they don't want to drive anything else, and that is what will matter for the future. My son is negotiating with me to buy my current 2014 P85+ and won't even look at anything else.

After getting frustrated reading the negative posts, I have to agree. There's always a few that will post only when having problems. I have a 2017 S, 75D and love it. It's great in the snow and lucky enough to have free supercharging and that is next to a Panera. Needless to say, we love Panera lunch and free energy!

Thank you for your positive post.

I have owned a Tesla 2018 Model X100d for two months. Also a smart-for-two electric drive since fall 2013. I live in rural Ontario about two hours north of Toronto in a place called Tiny, ON. Seriously.

There are no super chargers near by.
It’s cold
Until recently, there were few hybrids and no electric cars.

I put solar on my house and also use the same charging system (40A) for both.

I love it. I appreciate trip planning. No drive one day a week to the Greater Toronto Area (about 200k each way) without problems.

I feel infinitely safer in the Tesla. The auto pilot doesn’t do well with merging lanes and line marker changes. Other than that, on cruise. I love the soles adjustment in traffic, the lane sensing, the speed and agility when needed, the quiet.... ahhhhh the sound system, the comfort. I don’t think I have ever been in such an amazing vehicle.

I love that as a company there is integrity towards the longevity of the vehicle and battery life ... their reactivity to safety issues as opposed to defensiveness. I often have “beta tested” software. The auto pilot is safe, it is not fully autonomous and does not portend to be anything other than it is. - advising to keep you hands on the wheel and under constant care and control of your vehicle.

I was able to purchase the model I have during a series of Tesla transition events, for a very reduced price as a slightly used vehicle. It is expensive even with reduction in pricing, but the month costs and economy come out about the same!

I consider myself fortunate every day to have this safety and luxury and comfort....

There have been a few oddities, corrected with reboot or the next upgrade... that’s better than most computer software versions I’ve experienced!!

Laurie

I've been reading a lot of negatively titled posts. I always remember that people only post on forums when they're having a problem. Tesla has sold hundreds of thousands of cars and we only see 2 negative posts per week at most? While I understand the rate of issues is probably higher than the rate of an established company, its still a very small percentage.

I wanted to share my positive Tesla experience. I bought an inventory s100d in April 2018 (car from Nov2017) and saved about $12k over new because it had 3k miles as a demo car. This was before the price drop. It was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen.

I then drove the car x-country when I moved from Boston to San Diego, supercharger to supercharger. I absolutely love how big and comfortable this car is. My wife does too. So does my dog who gets the whole back seat (yes I cover them). The autopilot made the trip SO much easier. The car is so fast I can't even imagine owning a ludicrous model. I maybe floored the car 2x in the year I've owned it. Its just so much power always available, never needs to down shift. Its just amazing to me.

I look at what the competition has to offer. The competition still hasn't caught up with the efficiency and range of a car that was developed in the back room of a rocket factory in 2011. Think about that. Even the new audi and jaguar (76 MPGe) doesn't even come close to the efficiency of the S (102 MPGe). Their range is significantly lower and they have huge batteries too. Even comparing to the X (93 MPGe) they're bad. And that's not even talking about the 3, which is 130 MPGe! Think about this - the Model 3 goes ~310 miles on less than 3 gallons of gas (assuming 75kwh battery and kwh/gal of 33.35. That's just mind blowing when you think there are so many people driving around with gas guzzling vehicles, getting in the single digits and teens with their pickups. They go 18 MILES on a gallon and the Model 3 goes 130!

My wife and I (and dog) take SO many more trips now. We drive up into the mountains and camp while sleeping in our car. We bought a fold up mattress that fits in the back with the seats down and put on Camper Mode. We hop in the car on a whim and drive to Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo or Palomar Mountain or Julian or Temcula etc. etc. = almost every week.

My electricity provider SDG&E lets me charge at night from 12am-6am for only $0.06/kwh. That's enough time to always have a full car for next to nothing. I have free unlimited supercharging for life. I have solar, and enough of it that the equivalent energy in solar always goes into the grid making the car essentially powered off the sun. I love that I can charge my car up myself with energy I produce. Its just so amazing.

We also have a 2014 Chevy Spark EV which we bought in 2019. By the time we got it it had 15% battery degradation. It displays, at most, a range of 80 miles, but typically only 66 miles (driving habits affect its estimated range). My wife drives that car 78.5 miles once a week to work in Irvine. She arrives with ~5 miles of range and plugs in at a ChargePoint. That's pretty insane, but we just love electric vehicles. We really want a Model Y standard range; going to sell the Spark for it.

This was kind of a rant but just wanted to say I still feel the magic of Tesla and what Elon Musk is trying to do. I get that so many mistakes were made along the way, and he's terrible with timelines and broken promises. I think it would do everyone really good if we collectively calmed down about these upgrades to AP3 and MCU2. There's ALWAYS going to be something better or cooler. Even if we get the AP3 upgrade, AP4 is around the corner. Then what - we can't get that. Is AP3 going to be enough for people? No, they'll demand the AP4. Guys - AP1 and AP2 is amazing! Our cars drive themselves. Slow down and smell the electrons because we have just incredible vehicles. I have an electric car that goes over 300 miles on a charge, is a sub-5 second 0-60 car, has a 17" screen, and basically drives itself. I honestly couldn't ask for more.
Me Too!!! 26K over 1 1/2 years. Spent 3 month last summer touring the NE US and Canada. I expected to be pleased but I underestimated how much. Planning a 10,000 mile adventure to the NW including Victoria BC. If I tried really hard to finds a complaint I would come up dry.

Jun 2017 S100D. Bought new, now has 30k miles. Month after buying it, 10,000 mile, 49 day x-country roadtrip mostly solo (Santa Barbara to Halifax NS). No superchargers last 500 miles (there are now). Still no problem finding free charging while we (took a friend from Kingston to Halifax and return) slept.

Great car. Joy to drive. And every couple months it’s a better car than I bought due to the SW upgrades. Yes, a few missteps, like teasing me sentry mode is avail in my HW2 car then after many calls and a service appointment, admitting “no it’s not”. Ah well, a first world problem I can live through.

A couple of free level 2 chargers walking distance to grocery shopping. And I have solar. Since we produce more than we consume, it basically cost me 3 cents a kWh to charge at any time of the day. 3 cents is about what they pay me for excess production at the end of the year.

Yes, a great car with quite tolerable early adopter issues. It’s an adventure to be part of something new.

Reactions: Taxdodger
Very similar experience for me with our spacious, beautiful 2018 75D. My Georgia Power electricity only costs about 2 cents /kwh, and I too have free Supercharging. I use Georgia Power SimpleSolar, where I pay an extra cent for each kwh and effectively am using all solar power. We drive all over the place; to Florida, Atlanta to Philadelphia, planning a trip to Grand Canyon and stopping at interesting cities on the way. (ABetterRoutePlanner.com is handy for the trips.) Hardly any maintenance. Love it. Our 70lb dog goes in the 'way back and he loves it too.

My Model 3 was has proven repeatedly to be the best purchase decision I've ever made. I simply love it.
To all of the negativity out there, all I have to say is this: Get in one and drive it, then lets talk.
Glad to hear you love that 3. I never thought that buying a car is the best purchase decision I ever make. For me it is a house and stock. :)

Reactions: ibGeek