Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive Service Centre Experience (Chelmsford)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fred2

Sep 12, 2019
Uk
Just thought I'd describe my recent service centre experience, since the ones that go well are probably underreported

I had notice that my driver side door sill was missing the 'model 3' plaque - whether it had never been there in the first place (I suspect this) or had fallen off somehow I'm not sure. I had availability for an appointment 2 days after, although since that didn't fit with my schedule I picked one a few days later (my recollection was waits of 4 weeks plus last time I tried to book an appointment)

This was replaced under warranty without quibble (the car is just a few days over a year old) and they also did a "Rework Electrical Harness due to Water Ingress" which is something I gather they're doing as and when they see cars for other reasons (I didn't notice this until I looked at the invoice when I got home, or I'd have asked them for more details).

I only saw one other customer, there was plenty of space to keep apart and they seemed to be pretty much continuously disinfecting every surface in sight.

This was replaced under warranty without quibble (the car is just a few days over a year old) and they also did a "Rework Electrical Harness due to Water Ingress" which is something I gather they're doing as and when they see cars for other reasons (I didn't notice this until I looked at the invoice when I got home, or I'd have asked them for more details).

Yes, the "electrical harness" was originally fitted in a position where water could get into a connector and this resulted in a multiple systems failure ... loss of power steering etc ... which I can confirm was quite dramatic, though an easy fix for the Service Centre! I'm impressed that there was no challenge on fitting a kick plate after you'd had the car for a year!

Reactions: Fred2
That sounds pretty dramatic! I was braced for an argument but they agreed straightaway that if it had fallen off it really shouldn’t have and if it hadn’t been there all along (I’m leaning that way) then that was also a fault

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
That sounds pretty dramatic!

Fortunately I had been following this forum and knew the "multiple systems" klaxon signalled impending disaster, so I knew it was going to be a Service Centre job and despite the failed power steering I decided to manhandle it straight there! Give them their due they took the car at zero notice, gave me a loaner, and I had mine back a day and a half later. The issue has since become a low level "recall" i.e. something that really could have justified a recall but has been dealt with on the quiet by dealing with cars as they go into the Service Centres for other work.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred2
The issue has since become a low level "recall" i.e. something that really could have justified a recall but has been dealt with on the quiet by dealing with cars as they go into the Service Centres for other work.

As I understand (from service staff), the cars fault handling has been made less extreme via an update so the consequences of having the fault are less serious. ie multiple systems no longer get compromised.

Reactions: LEE3 and Adopado
funny enough I was in Chelmsford on Weds for some work (rear light not fixed correctly, condensation and I had a sensor hanging out of the bodywork by the front wheel!).

I assume this must be a brand new SC, they were still wondering around fitting teh signs to the walls when I was there! But agree the place was well managed with lots of space and lots of cleaning going on. I was pretty much the only one there for the couple of hours I was waiting.

TBH, the service I've had from the Bristol SC has always been extremely good. Overall, the SC staff have been far and away the best part of the whole experience of dealing with Tesla. However, it has got to the stage where I'm on first name terms with some of the SC staff, which hasn't ever been the case for any other new car I've bought . . .