Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive Trade in Offer

twentworth12

Aug 21, 2020
Boston
Hey Y’all

Wanted to share a positive experience with the Tesla trade-in process.

I’m picking up a MYLR next Friday and will be trading in a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I initially assumed I’d be going thru Carvana as they gave me a $30,500 offer. Well, to my surprise Tesla offered me $31,500.

I know the feedback is usually that Carvana and others always win, so I thought I’d share this one outlier.

AZMurph

Mar 21, 2019
Arizona
Similar — Tesla offered me $2,500 more for my car than Carvana. When you then take the sales tax benefit of trading into account, the difference was larger.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
Lucky you! I checked what Tesla would offer for my 2020 M3 if I were to trade in on a Y and it was $6k less than Carvana (27.5 vs 33.5). And we know Tesla will throw FSD on and resell for over 40k. This from a company that won’t let you buy your M3 at the end of your lease because they want a robo taxi fleet. Seems like they should spend a little more on trade ins of their own vehicles.

Ejl80

Dec 23, 2017
Nj
Lucky you! I checked what Tesla would offer for my 2020 M3 if I were to trade in on a Y and it was $6k less than Carvana (27.5 vs 33.5). And we know Tesla will throw FSD on and resell for over 40k. This from a company that won’t let you buy your M3 at the end of your lease because they want a robo taxi fleet. Seems like they should spend a little more on trade ins of their own vehicles.
Tesla offered 6k over Carvana for me. Weird.

wynnek

Feb 15, 2021
It seems it is worth get multiple quotes from various companies. Tesla and everyone else seem inconsistent so no other persons experience seems to relevant.
This is very true. Tesla offered me $12,200 for my 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I sold it to Carmax for $15,000.

fireball08

Feb 15, 2021
AZ
Also got quotes from Tesla, Carvana, Vroom, etc. Tesla is the lowest. I don't blame them, since they're not making any money off the trade ins. They're just pushing volume of teslas and that's totally cool by me.

GregW

Nov 19, 2015
La Jolla, Ca
I received a horribly low quote for my 2014 S with Tesla. 7K more $ with Shift. I really don't fault Tesla. They are not in the used car business, but boy was that low.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Tesla offered 6k over Carvana for me. Weird.

Seems Tesla will value Tesla trade-ins higher than non-Teslas as any non-Tesla will be sold at auction, while a Tesla (especially a not-too-old one with low miles) they'll be able to spruce up and put up for sale as used.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC