Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poss CPO Prices Of First Production Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been doing a lot of financial soul searching, and I just don't think getting a car that costs upwards $45k is in the cards for me. I was really, really looking to get the Base 3 (base battery, no P or D variant) with super charging and auto pilot, and I'm figuring after destination fees and taxes/title/license that is really going to be putting out of my price range. Sad face.

Having said that, a possible option would be to wait until the first round of leases are up and get in on the CPO action that starts in 2021-ish.

I've never dealt with cars in this price range, for those who have what would the likely cost of a $40k car be after a 3 year lease has been carried out on it? Does the tax incentive factor in at all if some of the early Model 3's ends up qualifying for it? I understand the Leaf and the Volt suffered some huge depreciation because of the tax incentive, is that likely to happen with the initial Model 3's that make the cut? Does the Model S CPO pricing currently reflect the tax incentive or does that not really factor in?

I don't know about the general question, but in general used cars are competing against new cars. If the new cars aren't eligible for the tax incentive (which they won't be at that point) then it won't be an issue for used car prices. It's not like cars that were bought with the tax incentive are somehow worth less than cars bought without it, it's that anything that makes buying a new car cheaper depresses prices of used cars.

I don't know about the general question, but in general used cars are competing against new cars. If the new cars aren't eligible for the tax incentive (which they won't be at that point) then it won't be an issue for used car prices. It's not like cars that were bought with the tax incentive are somehow worth less than cars bought without it, it's that anything that makes buying a new car cheaper depresses prices of used cars.

Good point, very unlikely the 3's that get the tax credit will be affected at all in that case.