Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possessed charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced something like that?

It happens almost every morning. I get close to the car, the handles get out but no lights on the charge port. Hit the button then I get the white light and hear the pin unlocking... then I unplug it. It will then cycle to red.. then close and reopen... and close and reopen. Until I start the car or lock it.

At first I thought I had a defective handle (with a sticky button) but I had someone turn off the breaker and the problem was still there.

I have this since 2.4.188.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older S that doesn't have the auto-closing chargeport but mine has always been possessed too. It seems completely random whether the chargeport door will stay closed if I close it. Sometimes it opens up on its own. Often it doesn't lock until I am in the car and have started it. Or it might lock, but then unlock while driving, and open up.

I'm on my third chargeport and the flakiness has never been fixed. I suspect it's a software bug and not part of the physical hardware.

I have an older S that doesn't have the auto-closing chargeport but mine has always been possessed too. It seems completely random whether the chargeport door will stay closed if I close it. Sometimes it opens up on its own. Often it doesn't lock until I am in the car and have started it. Or it might lock, but then unlock while driving, and open up.

I'm on my third chargeport and the flakiness has never been fixed. I suspect it's a software bug and not part of the physical hardware.

I just noticed this starting to happen in the last month. Every second morning or so, I close the port, hang up cable and open door and get in and it 'pops open' on its own, it was definitely closed when I hang up cable, but I thought well, maybe I just did not close it far enough. Glad I am not as crazy, ok, maybe I am for other reasons....

I have a service appointment next week, they'll check it.

Got my service appointment. They replaced my charge port :

intermittent failure to latch during charge port testing with UMC and HPWC. In addition,charge port would not pass testing through toolbox. Charge port replacement necessary.

For those interested, here's the part number : ASY, CHARGEPORT, MDLS, GEN2, US (1026041-99-H)

Bumping an old thread here...

I would like to know if anyone has retrofitted the new "Auto Close" charge port to an older MS that come with the "Close it yourself" door?

If this is an easy swap, I am all in...
Not an easy swap at all. The sheet metal of the body isn't even the same. Most people I know who tried to do this changed their mind...

Reactions: Cyclone
When they started installing the new charge port. The exterior of the body is the same. It's the sheet metal INSIDE, around the charge port that is different.

Can't find picture right now but the mount points for the charge port aren't the same...
That makes sence, they would need to add reinforcement to mount the motor/actuator to close the door.

Oh well, back to not being lazy and getting out to close it when I forget...

That makes sence, they would need to add reinforcement to mount the motor/actuator to close the door.

Oh well, back to not being lazy and getting out to close it when I forget...

For me it isn't about forgetting, but parking too close to a Supercharger and getting popped open when others unplugged. After the third time closing the port, I usually give up until I get to my next destination. I have thankfully never been in the car about to put it in Drive when this happened to know if it would shut off the car like it does when you click "Open Charge Port".