TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Possessed charging port

Discussion in 'Model S' started by llavalle, May 9, 2015.

1. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    #1 llavalle, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Has anyone experienced something like that?

It happens almost every morning. I get close to the car, the handles get out but no lights on the charge port. Hit the button then I get the white light and hear the pin unlocking... then I unplug it. It will then cycle to red.. then close and reopen... and close and reopen. Until I start the car or lock it.

At first I thought I had a defective handle (with a sticky button) but I had someone turn off the breaker and the problem was still there.

I have this since 2.4.188.

2. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Extra key fob in the car? That has caused odd behavior.

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Yup, possessed.

4. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I have an older S that doesn't have the auto-closing chargeport but mine has always been possessed too. It seems completely random whether the chargeport door will stay closed if I close it. Sometimes it opens up on its own. Often it doesn't lock until I am in the car and have started it. Or it might lock, but then unlock while driving, and open up.

I'm on my third chargeport and the flakiness has never been fixed. I suspect it's a software bug and not part of the physical hardware.

5. llavalle

llavalle Member

Did not think of that but nope, my 2nd keyfob is inside the house (outside of the reach of the sensors).

I have a service appointment next week, they'll check it.

6. XxCyberHackerxX

I figured out the problem. Your model S is upset it can't be retorted with the autopilot hardware and is starting to rebel!

7. llavalle

llavalle Member

It has autopilot... What do you mean?

8. XxCyberHackerxX

Lol it was a joke. After autopilot was announced previous owners were getting upset because there cars don't have autopilot

9. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

I just noticed this starting to happen in the last month. Every second morning or so, I close the port, hang up cable and open door and get in and it 'pops open' on its own, it was definitely closed when I hang up cable, but I thought well, maybe I just did not close it far enough. Glad I am not as crazy, ok, maybe I am for other reasons....

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

One word

"Christine"
    :D

11. llavalle

llavalle Member

Got my service appointment. They replaced my charge port :

For those interested, here's the part number : ASY, CHARGEPORT, MDLS, GEN2, US (1026041-99-H)

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Are we able to order these parts through our local Service Center? I wouldn't be opposed to it being able to auto-close, though not a big deal if the answer is no.