Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possibility for the Falcon Wing Doors to become better as AP2 matures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just thought of something today; as AP2 matures and the car becomes more aware of obstacles around it, do you think the FWD will benefit from this? We randomly encounter situations where it doesn't quite read the environment right, but if it's boosted by the data that AP2 provides, is there any reason to think that Tesla wouldn't take advantage of this to make opening/closing of the doors both safer, faster and more "correct"?

I didn't know AP2 MX's had issues with their FWD's. No issues with my AP1 MX, the FWD's work perfectly every time. I sure hope Tesla irons out the AP2 issues soon!

The FWDs work the same regardless if the car has AP1 or AP2. Happy to hear that you haven't encountered situations where the sensors in the doors didn't read the surroundings right, but that doesn't mean they're perfect.

And I realise the AP2 hardware is just for the autopilot, but if the car has a good understanding of it's surroundings, why wouldn't they take advantage of that to make the FWDs even better?

The AP2 hardware is used for more things than AutoPilot. For example, the automatic rain-sensing wipers. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla decides to use them for identifying door obstacles. Might work better than just using ultrasonics.

Reactions: Vitold