TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Possibility for the Falcon Wing Doors to become better as AP2 matures?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by cstromme, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cstromme

cstromme Member

I just thought of something today; as AP2 matures and the car becomes more aware of obstacles around it, do you think the FWD will benefit from this? We randomly encounter situations where it doesn't quite read the environment right, but if it's boosted by the data that AP2 provides, is there any reason to think that Tesla wouldn't take advantage of this to make opening/closing of the doors both safer, faster and more "correct"?

2. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

I didn't know AP2 MX's had issues with their FWD's. No issues with my AP1 MX, the FWD's work perfectly every time. I sure hope Tesla irons out the AP2 issues soon!

3. SSD420

SSD420 Member

FWD are far from flawless in cold and snowy weather.

• Like x 1
  4. outie

outie Active Member

Not likely. The AP2 hardware is just that, for AP.

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

Exactly. What do sound/wave sensors have to do with AP?

6. cstromme

cstromme Member

The FWDs work the same regardless if the car has AP1 or AP2. Happy to hear that you haven't encountered situations where the sensors in the doors didn't read the surroundings right, but that doesn't mean they're perfect.

And I realise the AP2 hardware is just for the autopilot, but if the car has a good understanding of it's surroundings, why wouldn't they take advantage of that to make the FWDs even better?

7. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

The AP2 hardware is used for more things than AutoPilot. For example, the automatic rain-sensing wipers. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla decides to use them for identifying door obstacles. Might work better than just using ultrasonics.

• Like x 1
  8. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I must say, after doing a semi long drive today in my P100D with out AP, I sure miss AP1. AP2 better be worth the wait!

• Like x 1
  9. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

AP 2.0 on Interstate I77 and Country Roads. 400+ mile on my X with AP. Hands On.