TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possibility of a 500 mile range Plaid Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AMPd, Nov 4, 2019.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I assume to achieve Plaid performance, tesla would need to make a larger capacity battery, any chance tesla would reach for the stars and break the 500 mile barrier?

2. spentan

spentan Active Member

If you do the simple math (500/370*100), you get 135kWh.

So if they make a 135kWh Model S, you get a 500mi range.

Easy

3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

In that case I hope they make a 150kWh battery!

• Like x 1
  4. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

5. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

I will be impressed if we get 300 miles in Winter Conditions, and charging to 80% at 150Kw or above charging... till that time..

• Like x 1
  6. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

To me, we need 500 mile rated EVs, at least with current battery tech. Because....

If you charge a 500 battery to 90% then you are at 450 rated miles, throw in some vampire drain, realistic driving (over rated Wh/Mile rate), hills and valleys, and anything but perfect Southern California weather you will find out that 375 miles is what you will consistently get. Obviously hypermilers will do better.

To make my life simple I always took 25% off my max rated range on my Teslas and it worked pretty solidly for real world driving in Southern California in terms of very comfortable range goals.

• Like x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

What we know of Plaid so far is better brakes and cooling, and two smaller motors driving individual rear wheels instead of a differential setup, probably the off the shelf PMSR "model 3" motor cores that are the Raven front motors and used individually to drive each rear wheel in the semi.

Two of those PMSR cores in the rear would have about the same maximum power as the single large induction motor in the rear of Performance S and X today, so there's no obvious need for a bigger battery for performance purposes. If they don't need more peak discharge rate, adding more battery capacity will only add weight and slow the car down...

• Informative x 1
  8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

That's a long time to keep your butt plastered in a seat. And a lot longer than most gas tanks.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Zishan

Zishan Member

I love long range. We had a Passat TDI that would get 700 miles range. My truck does 600 miles, but that's because it has a huge 36 gallon tank. (Ouch $)

I think Tesla will eventually get there, maybe wishful thinking. A 500 mile range would be a game changer (IMHO).

10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Oh definitely, for me I’m not looking to drive all of it non stop, it’s more the freedom of being able to skip a supercharger if it’s got a line of cars waiting.

• Like x 1
  11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Ouch indeed.
    You’re in Texas which makes it a little less painful, I’m in California and pay 60 bucks to fuel up around 13 gallons, which last me about 3 days :)

12. darxsys

darxsys Member

500 mile rated range doesn’t mean 500 mile real range. If you hit 370 miles with 500 rated range, that’s excellent. So still less than most/all gas cars.

• Disagree x 1
  13. croman

croman Active Member

Rated is realistic. I rarely don't hit it or do better at any time of the year except winter.

If you only get 370 on 500 rated I'd get your car checked or drive at safer highway speeds. I drive 75mph and have no issues getting 245 miles in my 75D.

• Disagree x 1
  14. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

That's not a big problem outside of California. I commonly skip Superchargers because I just don't need to stop.

15. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Can't imagine a battery pack architecture change coming any time soon. There's no more room for physical cells, so the only hope in the current chassis is a chemistry/density improvement.

They also seem to have demonstrated already that there's no need to change the battery to go Plaid.

16. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I am in California.

Interesting, I assumed they would need a larger battery, my assumption was based on the Roadster having a larger battery and if I’m not mistaken the battery was the limiting factor in achieving the 691hp on the P90D.

17. Zishan

Zishan Member

So it seems Tesla got more efficient with dual motors, and now plaid(3 motors). Wonder what will happen if each axle gets a motor (I.E. 4 motors driving each wheel).

Maybe this, along with more efficiency and better battery chemistry will continue to result in improved range.

Fingers crossed.....

18. wemetzger

wemetzger Member

I think there is a difference on getting 100% of your rated range when driving on teh highway on a long trip, or if that range is the accumulation of driving to and from work each day for 10 miles and blasting the heater/AC each time.

• Like x 2
  19. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen any data or statements about Plaid efficiency anywhere.

I’m actually expecting it to be less efficient than the Ravens - more air drag from the enhanced cooling, and at cruising speeds the motors you can’t idle are operating further into the low power region.

20. Zishan

Zishan Member

You are correct, I confused myself. my apologies.

What I meant, single motor, then dual motor: efficiency improved. Then Raven, new motor, efficiency improved. Now we are looking at Plaid, I'm not sure of efficiency, but beyond that, what would further advancements and/or moving to a 4 motor drive system result in.....hopefully even more range.

Tesla has continued to increase battery size every few years....so I'm hoping we will continue to see range increases....and all things considered, I think we will.