TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possibility to have Tesla install front motor after delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Shygar, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Shygar

Shygar Member

I'm more curious than anything, but for those of us who bought the rear wheel drive, I wonder how difficult it would be to add the front wheel drive motor by the service center? I would think as long as the wiring harness is the same then it might work, but maybe it wasn't designed that way.

Personally I thought about whether I wanted/needed AWD before ordering mine and realized that I really don't need it so I went ahead and completed my RWD order. But it would be interesting if you could add it later for $5k or something like that.

• Funny x 1
  2. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Anything is possible with enough money. No way in hell it's going to cost as much as the AWD upgrade would cost when you configure. It's probably going to be cheaper to sell your car and buy an AWD.

• Like x 1
  3. marusan

marusan Member

Reportedly M3's were generic enough that this might've been possible at one point, but Elon mentioned that one of the mistakes they'd made was having ports in both the front and back of the battery packs, and that they were spending extra time and parts covering the front port for RWD vehicles. So, if they "fixed" that, new RWD vehicles will have a power pack lacking a connection possibility in the front for the front inverter.

• Informative x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's a for-profit company so although I think it's technologically possible, I don't think Tesla would do it as Tesla has a history of seldom retrofiting your hardware.

It's been willing to upgrade on intentionally software limited products such as a 60 kWh battery sold as 40 kWh... but not for hardware such as installing air suspension for coiled ones...

• Like x 1
  5. Shygar

Shygar Member

It's a $4k option when you buy it new

6. Shygar

Shygar Member

Ok yea that's the only part I wasn't sure about conceptually. It would have been interesting for them to make it relatively easy to add after to get more money.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

They will do it for $57,000.

• Funny x 2
  8. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yes, and my mind boggles at what the price would be to buy it post-manufacturing. For starters it won't be coming from Tesla, it'll be 3rd party and they'll have to try find necessary parts somewhere. Besides the HV lines, control wire harness, etc, the front suppression is a something of a redux for it. Trying to buy OEM parts from Tesla is, at this point, an exercise in frustration. They'll need to salvage them or something, which isn't easy.

9. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

...The suspension has to change to fit the front motor so cost there
    ....The front motor
    .....the extra wiring
    ....same inverter in the battery pack? Hmm not sure

10. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

• Like x 2
  11. Shygar

Shygar Member

You mean Tesla won't grind off the old VIN number and put a new one on? :)

• Funny x 1
  12. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

If it were that easy, I'd like to change my X 90D into a X P90D. ;)

13. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I will, for a price! .... I mean, someone I know of and don't approve of will. Yeah, that's the ticket.......

• Funny x 1