Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible air suspension height settings issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the air suspension figured out.

My car was delivered last week and this is how it works with the latest updates:

If you put your car in the Very High Setting and leave it there, it will stay in that position until you select another height - or- until you reach 10mph.
At 10 miles per hour the car lowers to High.
At 20 miles per hour it lowers to standard.
I wasn't watching when it went to low.

It is not lowering on its own while in park or while turned off.

Can you adjust to high or very high while moving (under 10 mph) - such as when approaching a sloped driveway or speed bump - or must you stop?

Got my car today and followed up on this.

You can change while moving.
It will lower down on its own from very high: first to high and then to standard. it takes About 90 minutes to change all the way to standard while parked.

You can use jack mode to stop it from lowering.

Don't park over a park stop!!

Got my car today and followed up on this.

You can change while moving.
It will lower down on its own from very high: first to high and then to standard. it takes About 90 minutes to change all the way to standard while parked.

You can use jack mode to stop it from lowering.

Don't park over a park stop!!

I guess we can add parking stop sensor to the RFE. This sensor would stop the automatic lowering of the suspension when parked.

I think I got bitten by this issue last night. I parked the car with the front lip slightly over a curb. There was no sound when I pulled in. When I left, there was a slight scraping noise. Nothing huge, but I suspect that the car did lower after I parked it.

I still feel it shouldn't do this. I've never had a car with air suspension "settle" and secondly, there is a big thread on towing where it is explained that the reason you have to flat-bed the car is because the suspension continues to "auto level" even when the car is "off".

Sorry, but I'm hyper-sensitive to this issue. My current car has a very low front air dam, and in spite of serious attention, I have managed to "bump" it on curbs a couple of times. The last thing I want is my car hitting curbs on it's own. If I park with the nose clearing the curb, I expect it to be that way when I return.

I still feel it shouldn't do this. I've never had a car with air suspension "settle" and secondly, there is a big thread on towing where it is explained that the reason you have to flat-bed the car is because the suspension continues to "auto level" even when the car is "off".

Sorry, but I'm hyper-sensitive to this issue. My current car has a very low front air dam, and in spite of serious attention, I have managed to "bump" it on curbs a couple of times. The last thing I want is my car hitting curbs on it's own. If I park with the nose clearing the curb, I expect it to be that way when I return.
Simple solution. Don't order a car with air suspension.

I've been leaving my car on the settings screen when I get out. So far it has usually been lowering the car from very high to high by the morning. Sometimes it even stays in very high. I have not seen it go back to standard like the rep told me it would, but I have always been checking in the morning just in case before I leave down my curb.

Simple solution. Don't order a car with air suspension.

Good point. I had wanted the air suspension, but may want to re-think that. I have had air suspension on past cars, and when they worked, they were great. I did, however, have problems with leaks in the system that were fixed under warranty, but I always worried about a failure after my warranty ran out (never did have an out of warranty failure).

I don't believe any non-air cars have gone out yet. Is this true?

This isn't an elegant solution, but here's a workaround: get in the habit of throwing the car into Very High when you get in. The car will lift itself off any curbing, and then gently settle back to Normal height as you get underway. This approach won't eliminate slight marring from the car resting on the curbing, but at least you won't scrape the paint.

That won't solve the problem: the last time my car settled onto a parking bumper it was still set on Very High when I got in and backed out: scrape, plop.

Semi-related issue: for reasons unknown, my S sometimes won't let me select a lower suspension setting when parked in Very High.

Weird I can always go to low while parked, but if I drive it raises back up.

Jack mode is the only way to keep it in very high guaranteed although I have mostly seen it stay in very high or at least drop to high in the morning. Not sure why sometimes it drops and sometimes it doesn't and tesla says 90minutes til it drops, but that isn't Always the case either.

Lowered onto curb while parked front AND rear

I recall reading in another post about the car lowering while parked onto parking bumpers. Well I had that happen to the front skid pad below the front bumper a few days ago, so I started backing into spots. This evening when leaving work, I pulled out, and SCRAAAAAPE not only did it scrape, it broke the small plastic chrome strip on the bottom of the back bumper causing half of it to hang down. Aaaaaargh. I'm going to call tesla service tomorrow, hopefully this will be taken care of as it seems like a cheap part, but this issue really needs to be resolved!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm the OP on that other thread about the S lowering itself onto parking bumpers. It's happened to me three times so far, and I really hope my paranoia means that it won't happen again: these days I only let the front end overhang things that I know are lower than the suspension's lowest setting. As for how long it takes, I reported one instance where the car had lowered itself onto a curb in the time it took me to get out of the car and check the clearance, maybe 30 seconds, max.