Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 40% loss in range normal during freeway driving in the winter?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don't know - I live in a warm state!

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've combined a number of factors in such a way that your range is expected to be dismal.

• Your location shows as "The North" so that says cold, and your indications that temperatures were at freezing confirms that. You can probably take away 20% or more just for that.
  • Turning the AC off once it reaches temperature doesn't do any good, you've already used the energy. But that's not a big factor.
  • You didn't mention which car you have, but if you don't have the 18 inch wheels with the covers on, you can subtract another 5-10%.
  • Going 72 mph also subtracts another 20-30%. Once you start to go above 50 mph, you are going to drop below the rated range.
To get a much better estimation of range, look at the numbers on the Energy page. It shows something much closer to reality than the number near the speed.

It is not another 20-30% hit for going 72 mph. Maybe 10%. He got 28% below EPA on an AWD in the cold going 72 mph. That’s Pretty good and sounds about right to me. Not sure which tires he had.

On the slow charging, look at the regen line under the PRND. If there are several little dots on the left end, the battery is too cold to utilize the maximum regen capability of the car. This means that it cannot accept a charge as fast as when warm. So expect your charge rate to be lower.