Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible change in service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my car in to rotate tires and check my charging cables due to a couple errors at a supercharger. I was in and out in less than two hours.

My service advisor said they are working through a backlog right now and he anticipates that next week they will be going to a new streamlined service where you don't get entered into a queue and your car sits for a week before someone looks at it. He said most service will be done on the same day if possible.

I hope this is good information from him because being without my car for a week and having an ICE rental is why I did not like taking my car in.

he anticipates that next week they will be going to a new streamlined service where you don't get entered into a queue and your car sits for a week before someone looks at it. He said most service will be done on the same day if possible.

Begs the question why this wasn't done sooner, if they know how to do it.

Anyone has any insight on why Tesla is so bad at estimating when they can get to work on a car? I mean, I can understand a long wait to get an appointment -- the SCs are overloaded -- but why would cars sit for a week or more after the appointment before someone can even look at them? Other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem; they usually get to the car the day of the appointment, or the next day. Are Tesla problems that much harder to diagnose or estimate how long something would take?

Begs the question why this wasn't done sooner, if they know how to do it.

Anyone has any insight on why Tesla is so bad at estimating when they can get to work on a car? I mean, I can understand a long wait to get an appointment -- the SCs are overloaded -- but why would cars sit for a week or more after the appointment before someone can even look at them? Other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem; they usually get to the car the day of the appointment, or the next day. Are Tesla problems that much harder to diagnose or estimate how long something would take?
Best guess, they're trying to rush to catch up on the backlog, pressuring staff to repair more than they have time to, end result is that they get a bit more done than if they weren't under the pressure, but that the times they give out are unreasonable. (imagine, a piece of service that's expected to take 2 hours is scheduled in to a 1 hour slot, the tech gets it done in 1:30, they start catching up slowly, but they also fall behind the appointment times by a large margin)

Begs Anyone has any insight on why Tesla is so bad at estimating when they can get to work on a car? I mean, I can understand a long wait to get an appointment -- the SCs are overloaded -- but why would cars sit for a week or more after the appointment before someone can even look at them?
Weird. Bellevue (WA) service has never been like this. I guess this is one of those rare occasions where the Tesla experience is not better in California.

Best guess, they're trying to rush to catch up on the backlog, pressuring staff to repair more than they have time to, end result is that they get a bit more done than if they weren't under the pressure, but that the times they give out are unreasonable. (imagine, a piece of service that's expected to take 2 hours is scheduled in to a 1 hour slot, the tech gets it done in 1:30, they start catching up slowly, but they also fall behind the appointment times by a large margin)

That's a reasonable guess. If so, hopefully they are catching up and are able to go to a more normal mode of operation soon (as indicated by the first post of the thread).

I have had good - albeit limited - service experience.

I had a problem early last month with a supercharger failure at Fountain Valley just before a 1,000 mile trip. The port light would turn green briefly and then purple and an error message appeared on the display saying "cannot charge, please remove charger and try again." After 6 tries, I called supercharger support line and she couldn't determine whether the fault was in the SC station or the car. She called the CM service center and they checked out the car and pronounced it good to go. There were no problems supercharging on the trip.

Yesterday, I received a followup call from Tesla service to find out if I had had any problems during my trip. She then inquired whether the car had any other issues. I said only worn out wiper blade, but I didn't want to spend $600 on an annual service visit just to replace it. She said no problem, I'll schedule for someone to stop by your house and replace it at no cost; how about Monday at 11:00 am?

Totally unexpected and delightful surprise.