Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

possible first time long distance + wrong side of the road. Tips? Mad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if I pick the early slots that only affects the fixed prices.

Yes, that's been my experience.

if I want the ability to adjust/cancel/jump on any train ...

Isn't that a significant difference when comparing against Ferry? (I have no idea what happens there in regard to "missing a slot" or what Flexible Fare gives you, its decades since I took a cross-channel ferry - actually it was probably before tunnel existed! and maybe that was just "rock up and get on the next one" as they must have been leaving every half hour or so back then).

We did "posh" (whatever it was called) on Irish Ferries (Hollyhead-Dubin). That was £20 extra per person, got us into a "lounge" onboard which had food and drinks. Car was loaded first-on ... and last-off (which made a huge difference - it was at least an hour until we disembarked, the ferry departure was delayed 2 hours, that put our arrival in UK to late evening and thus all motorways home were "several lanes closed for drains cleaning" or whatever they do at night ...)

Whereas my experience of Flexi for Chunnel is "turn up whenever you like"; skip any queues for the check-in (not that I have seen any recently, but I expect there will be some at peak), and proceed directly to departure rather than corralled until designated train's depart time. Loading is first-on / first-off. Complimentary Sandwiches, coffee, a newspaper and somewhere to sit - if you want it. (Even a drive-through for that if you are in a rush, although I don't remember that being available when we went Skiing in early March - but France had been "closed" until a week or two before then, so maybe that will be revived)

Supercharger within the checked-in area "while you wait" at both ends (don't need Flexi for that, although additional available Flexi at Calais)

Dunno what Ferry "Flexi" provides by comparison to that (no Tesla charging at either port that I know of)

Reactions: Mrklaw
I have a booking with DFDS for July which they have allowed me to move 3 times due to covid. Eurotunnel on the other hand wouldn’t move a booking by 3 days so I lost the money. I’ll never use the tunnel again, their customer service is dire and the trains are usually late which negates the time saving.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I’ve never used my granny charger. I only took my type 2 cable out of the bag for the first time yesterday as I was at the cinema and they had free podpoint chargers.

Should I buy a shuko (sp?) adapter anyway just in case? thinking in case we can charge up at hotels that don’t have ‘proper’ EV charge points to save supercharging, but probably unlikely to be used - so its more a ‘risk mitigation’ thing.

Should I buy a shuko (sp?) adapter anyway just in case?

I took the view that I was likely to go to the continent again. I found a socket in the garage (ski chalet) where we were staying (twice now). The car charging away merrily for days on end meant I had a full battery for some local running around, and when we left. Might also need an extension lead suitable for EV (but if you get a 13AMP one that would also be useful for out-and-about in the UK)

But if you don't expect subsequent use, and its "just in case hotel has a socket in the car park" then probably a question of what the schuko adapter costs. You'll want one that can put up with continuous-use ... so the airport ones to run a laptop off are probably not appropriate!

Tesla have a schuko adaptor, which fits the UMC, which is a "neat" solution. £43 - might be the most expensive?

Tough Leads have a simple Schuko / 13-AMP lead for £15 - but that would be an indoor solution (I bought EV extension leads / etc. from them)

img_6143_umc_length-jpg.520320

Tesla UMC with Schuko adapter ... and a tight-fit garage!