Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible frozen AC evaporator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is interesting that the diagnostics screen on my 6 seater X show 2 HVACs (Aux HVAC being the 2nd) but only 1 'Refrigernet Loop' section.
Diagnostic screen = 2021.24.4 - dynotest -- mentioned in various threads. ie. Model Y 82kW Battery Pack

LeWcy93.jpg
I think that is due to having two evaporators fed from one compressor/ condenser (refrigerant loop).

Reactions: scottf200
I had a recent experience in my 2020 Model X (Raven) that I wanted to share. I was driving an extended period on a hot day (100+ degrees), and over the course of a couple of hours, the A/C gradually got less and less effective. I could hear the compressor screaming (as it tends to do normally under hot conditions), and the air was coming out of the vents cold. The problem was the volume of air was slowly diminishing, to the point where it couldn't keep the cabin cool. I had the temperature setting set to LOW. I tried Auto fan speed vs 11, and various output vent settings, but to no avail. I could hear that the blower was running at full speed - it was just that the airflow out the vents was diminished, as if there was blockage somewhere. Tesla customer service's only suggestion was a reboot, and if that didn't fix it, bring it into the service center. A reboot didn't fix it. But, just letting it sit overnight returned it to normal operation. Thinking back on it, I'm guessing that the problem might have been a frozen up evaporator. In addition to being very hot, humidity was higher than normal due to recent rains. I'm guessing that the combination of humidity, Low temp setting, and extended driving resulted in the evaporator icing over, and that letting the car sit for a few hours caused the problem to just melt away - literally.

I tried searching, but couldn't find much mention of this as a common problem. Also, if it were at all common, I would have thought that Tesla phone support would know about it and suggest letting the car sit for awhile rather than recommend bringing it into the service center. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Were you able to figure out what was causing this? I'm experiencing the exact same thing in my MS. It didn't start happening until after the SC did some work on my car.