Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible FSD discount coming for leased cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Reading the Twitter tea leaves:

852C064E-784E-4C7F-80C0-55ABA09D8A50.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Their leases will be up by then. Maybe that explains the timing? Or just that the lease take rate of FSD went downhill. Gotta make those $$

Probably about FSD pack take-rate for Model 3 leases, yes. It is all about the next short-term sale/lease with Tesla. Long-term customer retention/satisfaction does not seem to be something they are thinking about with these moves.

The likelihood of Tesla thinking about 2016 FSD lessees is about the same as them really admitting the early FSD buyers to the real Early Access Program... not completely impossible, but in reality hey who am I kidding, they can’t even make this simple thing right.

• Love
Reactions: croman and am_dmd
Probably about FSD pack take-rate for Model 3 leases, yes. It is all about the next short-term sale/lease with Tesla. Long-term customer retention/satisfaction does not seem to be something they are thinking about with these moves.

The likelihood of Tesla thinking about 2016 FSD lessees is about the same as them really admitting the early FSD buyers to the real Early Access Program... not completely impossible, but in reality hey who am I kidding, they can’t even make this simple thing right.
This is what I mean by constantly writing the same trollish comments in every thread, again & again.

This is what I mean by constantly writing the same trollish comments in every thread, again & again.

My comment was relevant to this thread, more so than your reply. Be that as it may, though, what you see is my genuine view of how Tesla operates based on personal experiences and observation. If I am cynical, it is only because that is how I’ve come to view Tesla.

I would imagine in your heart of hearts even you agree a possible FSD pack discount for Model 3 lessees is possibly or even probably based on take-rate. It is all about the demand lever for Tesla these days. Model 3 lessees may be more reluctant to pay for an expensive, unfinished software feature they don’t have the option ”to take with them” or to necessarily wait for its completion (as they are not allowed to buy the cars), hence lower take-rate. Makes sense, right?

I mean, I will be positively surprised if what they meant were retroactive discounts to 2016 Model S/X lessees who bought FSD and haven’t received any features for it. I would admit that would not be a demand-lever but customer satisfaction play where Tesla was trying to make a thing right (unless it was tied to buying a new Tesla).

Unless you sell to a private party you won’t see any increase in re-sale value with or without FSD through Tesla or a 3rd party such as CarMax
My question is about the residual value on the lease. I guess I'll have to check the website.

EDIT: Looks like it adds $2952 in payments to a 3 year/30,000 mile lease. Not great for an appreciating asset. :p
It seems like Tesla should just charge the $82 a month if people want to add it to their existing lease.

Last edited:
My question is about the residual value on the lease. I guess I'll have to check the website.

EDIT: Looks like it adds $2952 in payments to a 3 year/30,000 mile lease. Not great for an appreciating asset. :p
It seems like Tesla should just charge the $82 a month if people want to add it to their existing lease.

Shouldn’t Tesla be paying you since it is “supposed” to be worth more when you give it back than today?!? :eek::confused:

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD