Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible future owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I'm an aircraft systems engineer in the suburbs of Savannah, building an airplane in my garage (seriously!), and joined up to get some perspective on owning/operating a Tesla, and also to ask a few questions.

I'm looking into getting a new car sometime in the next year or so, as my 2003 Focus finally died for good and my 2005 short cab F150 is impractical as a DD in the long term (been driving old cars to save some money). I'm 95% sure I'm going BEV, it's just a question of which one. I've narrowed the list down to most likely a Model 3, Model Y, or the F-150 Lightning (or possibly a Cybertruck if it actually happens in time; all depends on the specs and price). I think the hardest thing to adapt to would be the minimal maintenance--between airplanes and older cars, I'm used to wrenching on things frequently.

Looking forward to some learning...

Welcome. Like anything....goods and bads. I am 3 months into a model Y and like it very much. Autopilot/Cruise control kinda sucks with the phantom braking. You may want to research that issue. Hopefully software updates will fix that soon.

Do you have specific questions?

Thanks! I do have a few questions I think, but I'll probably put most of them in the vehicle-specific areas.

Mostly I'm just in "lurk and learn" mode right now. Trying to get a feel for what to expect and when the timing might work out right--I'm at least hoping to see some real-world range/price numbers for the F150 and also waiting to see if new batteries (and more range) work their way into the 3/Y. I'm not in a rush to buy yet; my truck is still running and I'm working from home about 40% of the time so not too much commuting to worry about.