TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possible hidden costs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MostlyStock, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. plug

plug Member

Shhhh...no more ideas in public, please

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm sorry, but this whole car for the masses thing is something that overly enthusiastic fans have come up with. All Tesla has said is that it will be an affordable mass-market car. Affordable is relative (Tesla also referred to the Model S as affordable before it came out), and mass-market only refers to the number of cars they intend to sell. I have never seen a single quote where they referred to "the masses".

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Yeah, North American phone/Internet/cable/TV is all way more expensive and slower and/or poorer service than European equivalents. You guys have got it right over there! :)

• Like x 1
  4. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

That would just be rude. Google is already collecting and selling all the usage data -- we have to pay twice for using Google Maps? :confused:
    I hope Google isn't charging Tesla for their maps. That would be double-dipping for sure.

5. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Me too -- I complained to my dealer that the map update DVD was more expensive than a Garmin (with lifetime updates!) and a suction cup. The response was a shrug. The good news is that there is an eBay seller who moves current maps out for less than $100. I've used them a couple of times.

6. Buzby

Buzby New Member

Then there's more upmarket Apple car software. Would someone spending $100k on a car want an Android front end? You know, the OS that is targeted by scammers and reverse engineering nerds? I'm hoping by the time the 3hits the streets, this issue will be resolved.

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

• Like x 1
  8. eisbock

eisbock Member

I do when I reach my destination. Going hiking in the mountains, I need to stock up on cold cuts for my lunch.

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

As pointed out in another thread, this has nothing to do with promoting local supercharging. Tesla just needs a parking lot. Most of these grocery stores are right by major highways, and most travellers do stop for grocery store food and other supplies! The superchargers I regularly use are in hotel parking lots, and the vast majority of users never stay in the hotel. It would be much better to get out and get something fresh to eat from a supermarket, or pick up some supplies for your trip, than be at a hotel where I am not staying. I find it odd that you don't stop at grocery stores while travelling in your vehicle. All restaurant food? No fresh fruits or vegetables? Strange. I thought I was unusual in the other thread until a lot of people posted that they also regularly stop at grocery stores while travelling. This move makes perfect sense for long distant travel and supercharger use. You are reading into it something that is clearly not there.

• Like x 1
  10. eisbock

eisbock Member

I know these are ancient posts, but do you really think 4G connection won't be free?

Tesla cars are pretty much based off the internet. OTA updates, summon, controlling your car remotely, setting charge limits and configurations from inside your house, supercharger maps, navigation... No 4G would pretty much cripple a lot of the car's functionality. Functionality like that is a major selling point for Tesla. Imagine spending 8k for Autopilot and not being able to use it fully or get regular updates because you opted not to pay for 4G? It almost seems like a requirement and it would be pretty scummy to charge for that too.

Also, Autopilot improves through fleet learning, which means every car needs to be equipped with turned-on 4G all the time regardless. Seems kinda petty to charge a user for a feature that's always on and running. It's not like users will be using that much data anyway. I can however see disabling bandwidth-heavy internet features that aren't critical to system functionality (e.g. web browsing, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) and making the user pay for that.

Or maybe I just don't understand the 4G/LTE set-up in a Tesla.

11. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#51 Canuck, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    My Leaf connects (to 2G!) so I can use the app to warm the car, check the battery, update the maps, chargers, etc. and other functions but that's it. I can easily see Tesla doing the same with 4G for that kind of stuff only, but if you want streaming music, internet on the browser, etc. then you pay. I highly doubt it will be unlimited data for everything as it is now with my Model S. But no one knows except Tesla and they may have not even made a decision yet since they will have to negotiate their data plan with a supplier when the time comes, and that probably isn't right now.

12. eisbock

eisbock Member

It's also quite brilliant as a location for superchargers. Most people are in a grocery store long enough to get a full charge, but tend not to dillydally (who wants to hang out in a grocery store?) so you'd rarely run into the issue of congestion via people leaving for hours at a time.

• Like x 1
  13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

This gives me a laugh since I travelled Europe last summer with my wife and kids (by train and foot mostly) and I always wanted to go into the grocery stores in each country. I really enjoyed looking at the shelves and produce in each country and I always bought interesting stuff to eat. The kids were all like, "Oh no, dad wants to go into the grocery store again!"

• Like x 3
  14. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

There is no reason Tesla can't separate data use between what is required for the car to operate and what would be considered optional things like music, web searches, and browsing.

• Helpful x 1
  15. mhan00

mhan00 Member

And then you see people who have their wives or husbands pick them up in their other car so they can go home while leaving their cars at the charging station . . .

16. mhan00

mhan00 Member

It does sound like the Model 3 will have some SC credits included like the Model S and X, according to the electrek, based on some comments by Elon during the Tesla/Solar City vote. We still don't know if the credits will be the same or less than what the S and X will receive.

17. eisbock

eisbock Member

Do you really think this will be an issue? Seems like a lot of work and very inconvenient for everybody involved.

18. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Never underestimate people's desire to save a buck. I personally saw behavior exactly like that at my local Costco's level two chargers until they started locking them up at night. It probably won't be an issue now that SCing only provides the first 400kwh for free, but if unlimited makes a return you will absolutely see people doing that, unless Tesla enacts penalities for staying longer than the time it takes to charge.

19. Jayc

Jayc Member

Have to say this thread is starting to worry me a bit. I like almost everything about Tesla as a company but the Model S service charges are too expensive - especially when Tesla makes it a point to highlight the simplicity of EVs over ICE. Discontinuing pure white is another move in the wrong direction. It's starting to look like the accountants have started to take all the decisions at Tesla.

20. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Back in January 2014 Tesla and [email protected] agreed to a multi-year deal. The said that owners would have free internet services including infotainment for four years.

I think basic features will be free and you will have to buy the [email protected] auto plan if you want the infotainment. I still have a Verizon unlimited plan so Bluetooth is fine for my music.