Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible hidden costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Local saturation has nothing to do with Tesla. Even if it is an issue.

I want to keep this on point.

Fair enough. To bring it back around to being on point:

I wouldn't be shocked if Tesla "decoupled" "free" data from the built-in price of the Model 3. Would fall in line with other OEM's that offer 4G if they gave you 6 months for free, then moved you to an optional subscription plan.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tesla "decoupled" "free" data from the built-in price of the Model 3. Would fall in line with other OEM's that offer 4G if they gave you 6 months for free, then moved you to an optional subscription plan.

I understand what you are saying, however - as I stated below. The M3 isn't the line of cars that the cost of data needs to be decoupled from. I would be hard pressed to say that the M3 group is the group that can afford yet another data package to pay for.

There are 3 other lines of Tesla cars who's owners are much more able to financially absorb the price of a divorced data package. This sounds like US politics.

I understand what you are saying, however - as I stated below. The M3 isn't the line of cars that the cost of data needs to be decoupled from. I would be hard pressed to say that the M3 group is the group that can afford yet another data package to pay for.

There are 3 other lines of Tesla cars who's owners are much more able to financially absorb the price of a divorced data package. This sounds like US politics.

They've already played those politics with the Supercharging.

I can personally afford the data package and the Supercharging. But while people clamor to figure out how they're going to get the base price to stay at $35,000 without taking too bad of a per unit loss (like Chevy is eating on the Bolt), I'm spitballing ideas.

Because, since I'm reasonably certain none of us work for Tesla....all we can do here is spitball ideas.

;)

EDIT: To keep it inline with the title of the thread.....paying for a data plan would be a hidden cost.

They've already played those politics with the Supercharging.

I can personally afford the data package and the Supercharging. But while people clamor to figure out how they're going to get the base price to stay at $35,000 without taking too bad of a per unit loss (like Chevy is eating on the Bolt), I'm spitballing ideas.

Because, since I'm reasonably certain none of us work for Tesla....all we can do here is spitball ideas.

;)

EDIT: To keep it inline with the title of the thread.....paying for a data plan would be a hidden cost.

It has been heavily speculated that folks at Tesla view this forum and "who knows".... maybe they are participating. So I see the suggestions here as being more than spitballing ideas.

A closed mouth doesn't get fed.....so "Speak Up". That's one my primary mantras.

With that said....you are correct in that they have played some of these politics with Supercharging, however supercharging policies haven't been static. I believe the Teslas SC policies will continue to evolve and be dynamic because the EV landscape (Not just Tesla) will evolve.
Teslas data may be equally as dynamic.

That statement you made about SNMP traps is certainly NOT true.

I only made one statement and I'm pretty sure it is true - but it doesn't matter ...

If they do end up decoupling it, and I see it as being a real possibility, I bet they do have some sort of free initial period (probably paid for by AT&T), if for no other reason than to get you to keep using it and pay for it. I don't think it will happen but it would be nice if they would let you use your phone as a hotspot for the car, that would be nice for those people that already have an unlimited data plan.

I only made one statement and I'm pretty sure it is true - but it doesn't matter ...

If they do end up decoupling it, and I see it as being a real possibility, I bet they do have some sort of free initial period (probably paid for by AT&T), if for no other reason than to get you to keep using it and pay for it. I don't think it will happen but it would be nice if they would let you use your phone as a hotspot for the car, that would be nice for those people that already have an unlimited data plan.
Indeed.. you only made one statement...and that statement just isn't true. I can send you some large SNMP traps if you want.

My question is this....What function of a Tesla car....is for the owner? What function of a Tesla car is for Tesla?

Updates? That's Teslas obligation
Fixes? That's Teslas obligation
AP2.0 data? That's Teslas obligation

Remotely heating the cabin - Owner ( if they choose)
Remotely ......? Owner ( if they choose ) .

Add to the list as you may...and lets see how much Tesla is obligated to and how much the owner is responsible for.
I am pretty sure they could make us pay for the things that you say are Teslas obligation. Audi does with it's connected infotainment system.

I think there is no question they will have to charge a suffiient enough money to discourage local charging. The whole model is built on everyone getting the majority (day-to-day) charging at home. I believe $1,000 isn't enough money to discourage it. I think $2-$3k per year. I don't think it is unreasonable to charge for 4G like the other car manufactures do (Chrevrolet, BMW, Nissan, etc).

You don't need 4G to get your over the air software updates. It can be done over Wifi.

I think there is no question they will have to charge a suffiient enough money to discourage local charging. The whole model is built on everyone getting the majority (day-to-day) charging at home. I believe $1,000 isn't enough money to discourage it. I think $2-$3k per year. I don't think it is unreasonable to charge for 4G like the other car manufactures do (Chrevrolet, BMW, Nissan, etc).

You don't need 4G to get your over the air software updates. It can be done over Wifi.

I really don't think it'll be that much of a deal besides apartment/condo owners etc. Why price gouge them? That makes no sense because they are going to be using local charging anyway, regardless of price, because they often have no other options. (It's not like they have a choice)

As a homeowner it would be inconvenient for me to go to a local supercharger just to wait there a half hour when I could just as well go home and plug in.

I believe it's in everyone's best interest if they charge local rates and don't make it for profit.

Last edited:
I really don't think it'll be that much of a deal besides apartment/condo owners etc. Why price gouge them? That makes no sense because they are going to be using local charging anyway regardless of price because by they often have no other options.

As a homeowner it would be inconvenient for me to go to a local supercharger just to wait there a half hour when I could just as well go home and plug in.

I believe it's in everyone's best interest if they charge local rates and don't make it for profit.

Even as they're moving to do away with the "free for life" model, Elon has stated that the Supercharger network won't be run for profit. I'm hoping that they charge enough to cover electricity and maintenance.

Reactions: JeffK
Even as they're moving to do away with the "free for life" model, Elon has stated that the Supercharger network won't be run for profit. I'm hoping that they charge enough to cover electricity and maintenance.
That's all on Tesla. They have certainly proven that they are smart enough to take care of their stuff on their own. I don't worry about Tesla one bit.

I don't think SCing is a hidden cost.

Connected cars will be producing 25+ GB of data every hour. Tesla is planning on getting multiple petabytes of data and bought an InfiniBox system to handle it.

4G/LTE is very old technology and will be replaced with 5G shortly. AT&T is already testing this in Texas and New Jersey.

What?
I didn't say anything at all about a service center. I just made the point that the MS and MX were expensive...and were built for profit.
I thought the same thing Jeff did. The quote from Jeff that you replied to was talking about the service centers, so it made sense to assume you were also talking about service centers. If you're going to go off on a tangent, please leave directions so the rest of us can follow along :D

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
high prices do not necessarily indicate something is for profit... just means stuff is expensive and also that Tesla service center employees are paid well to provide you the best service they can.
$400 for a tire rotation, "inspection", wipers, air filter and keyfob batteries in Tennessee? Yeah, there's some healthy profit there.