Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible hidden costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may use Model 3 owners as an on going revenue stream. This likely required to keep the price low. How would everyone feel about the following charges?

$100 - one year of map updates
$600 - one year of 4G data
$1000 - one year of local supercharging (superchargers < 60 miles from your home)

It should be noted none of this is required. You can continue to use the outdated maps for free. You can use WiFi tethering on your phone and connect to your home WiFi for other updates. Lastly you don't have to use the local superchargers (long distance superchargers would be free).

Also did I miss anything Tesla could charge yearly for?

Maps come from Google via the Internet, no charges there (assuming you have Internet). Plus you need accurate maps to lead you to Superchargers.

As to the 4G connection, that seems integral to the car experience. Would they ever break that out?

Streaming music and maps doesn't use that much data. For example, Spotify mobile uses 96kbps as the default quality for mobile apps (43mb/hour), and Google Maps about 5mb/hour. Figure 2 hours per day = ~100mb * 30 days = ~3GB. Tesla probably buys bandwidth in large pools, if not unlimited, so this cost to them isn't as bad as you think (and not everyone uses those features daily anyway).

Let's not forget, that connection is needed for OTA updates. Which prevent trips to the service center. And Tesla absolutely benefits by limiting trips to the service center.

As to what happens when the cars are outside the warranty period, who knows. Under warranty? You can bet that connection will be there.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. It might be helpful to look at it from a tech perspective as you started to do, somewhat akin to buying a new gadget like a phone, with Tesla being the phone manufacturer as well as the carrier.

-Data charges and supercharger access make sense.
-What about software updates not always being free?
-Or charging for certain software features? Like getting autopilot safety for free but charging for autopilot convenience, but in other categories that don't come to mind at the moment.
-Maybe something like the iPhone upgrade program? Pay a monthly charge and you can get the latest car every certain number of years, with maintenance included as well. Kind of locks you into being a Tesla owner like Apple does.

I say don't start freaking out about things like this if they don't do it for the S and X. It's unlikely they'll gouge the 3 owners for stuff that the higher end users get for free. Musk wants this car to be affordable, after all. You start dinging people for stuff to make it more expensive to drive than an ICE and everyone will cancel their reservation.

I certainly hope they don't do most of these. I've read the LTE is free for 4 years and then Tesla is supposed to start charging the S/X owners as well. Not sure a) that's true and b) they have or will do it. As for the super chargers I don't see that happening. It'll either be a one time cost or a per charge fee. If people start getting nickel and dimed after purchase I foresee a lot of cancellations as well

I am hoping lte connection be part of the car. I think with tesla uncertain about whether superchargers are free or not, but they may do the same with this. Tethering from a cellphone has its issues because not everyone has phones that can tether ie flip phones or older locked down smartphone that don't provide a way to tether. I prefer not to set tether on my phone every time I get in the car.

I think a hidden cost is increase in insurance premium, servicing fees (I know it's electric but most s owners has that service package).

Personally I think the odds of them including LTE and paying for the owner's data usage every month for the life of their 35K car is slim to none. Anything else is wishful thinking, IMO.

As far as maps, people need to realize that Google maps only works where you have a data connection. There are also offline maps that are not Google based that need to be updated periodically (that's what the Nav uses, because a nav that cuts out when you drive far enough away from cities would be really really bad).

Reactions: MostlyStock
Tesla may use Model 3 owners as an on going revenue stream. This likely required to keep the price low. How would everyone feel about the following charges?

$1000 - one year of local supercharging (superchargers < 60 miles from your home)

It should be noted none of this is required. You can continue to use the outdated maps for free. You can use WiFi tethering on your phone and connect to your home WiFi for other updates. Lastly you don't have to use the local superchargers (long distance superchargers would be free).

As a current owner, I would reject every one of these charges out of hand. What possible motivation is there to pay MORE?

Maybe they'll make you lease the battery like some other manufacturers do.
sarcasm.gif

I guess I'm thinking of hidden costs more like

- How much is it going to cost to put a wall charger in the house ($600ish?)
- How much is charging at home going to add to my electric bill (from the tesla site I get about $350 per year)
- Am I going to buy into the Tesla maintenance plan ($2,100 for 4 years of prepaid maintenance)
- How much will my insurance go up on a $40,000 vehicle vs my current 2008 Mitsubishi that's worth maybe $7,000 now.
- Am I going to love the car so much (as others have said) that I"m going to wash it way more often than I wash my car now? At $10 per week that's over $500 per year
- Similar to the above will I go with that opticoat paint protectent that I hear so much about in the forums?
- Will the windows be tinted standard? If not what's that going to run me?

NFW!