TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Possible irregularity in X 75D range figure? (compared to 90D, S/X)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cantdecide, May 10, 2016.

1. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

Comparing the model X/S ranges for 75D, 90D I'm seeing something interesting...
    I'm wondering if anyone has other sources to help resolve this? Am I missing something?

S 75D 255 or 259 miles (depending on source)
    S 90D 294 miles

X 75D 237 miles
    X 90D 257 miles

You can look at this several ways...
    Adding 15kwh adds 20 miles for X and 35+ miles for S. Sure the X is less efficient but not that much.
    or
    The "range penalty for an X over an S" ...
    for the 90kwh version is 13% while
    for the 75kwh version is 7%.

This suggests that one of the 4 numbers is probably wrong... indeed out by about 15 miles.

Perhaps one of the figures (S 75D) is for the old grill and so the range is understated. According to Tesla the 75D adds up to 15 miles (making 255 miles of range on the old grill). I've seen other figures of 259 miles. In order to make things consistent the range of the S 75D would need to be 270 miles. Why would Tesla do EPA testing of the 75D with the old grill when it is only launched with the new grill?

I doubt Tesla would have overstated S 90D... this was such a big deal of 294 miles of range it should be right.

The X 90D could be understated at 257 miles of range... it could be 273 miles. However, I'm not seeing 90D owners talking about how they have extra range compared to advertised.

The X 75D could be overstated at 237 miles (should be about 225 miles).

Other evidence:
    Looking at wh/mile for battery size and range (ignoring the small part of the battery not used in range calculations, which should scale everything equally)...
    The X 75D is 316wh/mile, whereas the incremental for the X 90D is 750wh/mile (20 miles, 15 kwh)!
    This suggests that there is likely a data issue with the model X. Sure the 90D battery is heavier than the 75D battery but that is a pretty terrible ratio (a bit over 1 mile per kwh) that we haven't seen on any of the figures for the S (60,70,85,95 etc). e.g. between model S75D/90D it is ~35 miles for 15kwh or ~430 wh/m incremental which is about what you would expect given extra weight.

Any thoughts?

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

The reported 90% charge for X shows about 236-238 miles which would be 264 miles at 100%

3. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

I presume that is a 90D with likely 264 miles of range? (rated 257)
    For my P90D a 100% charge listed 252 miles (rated 250)

On the configurator adding P takes out 24 miles of range for the S, but it only takes out 7 miles of range for the X.
    This seems most unusual... I would have expected under 10 miles of range drop.
    This makes me suspect that the S 90D figure is the "odd one out" being higher.
    Perhaps that figure is the only S that has been rated with the new front and the other model S (75D, P90D) will catch up later?
    The X of course hasn't had a change in front.

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

5. Diavel

Diavel Member

Yes... My thoughts are confused. I will just have to concur with you.