Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible issues since 2022.24.6.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry Mode operating at home in the garage - 18 events overnight. Never happened before, Sentry disabled at home (in the car menu)

Battery drain. Trips showed 8kWh used in 45 miles (3 short trips), but in the same 48 hour period (just after updating the software) the battery dropped from 60% down to 36%, which is about 18kWh. Much more drain than usual (2022 M3 LR).

General question - do you turn climate off between uses? I started doing this because I would often hear the system working several hours after the car had been parked in the garage (this was before the update)

Sentry Mode operating at home in the garage - 18 events overnight. Never happened before, Sentry disabled at home (in the car menu)

Battery drain. Trips showed 8kWh used in 45 miles (3 short trips), but in the same 48 hour period (just after updating the software) the battery dropped from 60% down to 36%, which is about 18kWh. Much more drain than usual (2022 M3 LR).

General question - do you turn climate off between uses? I started doing this because I would often hear the system working several hours after the car had been parked in the garage (this was before the update)
Hmm. Interesting. I have had an M3 for 3 years and sentry has worked perfectly for 3 years i.e. turned off at automatically when at home. The car it was still on 2022.20 when I sold it.
I swapped if for an MY two weeks ago which came on 2022.24.6 and I have had issues with getting Sentry to auto disable at home ever since.
It occurred to me that the software might be the issue but since I have changed the entire car almost impossible to prove.
I am now on 24.8. and it is no better.
I have tried reboot. resetting home. setting all the houses around me as work and favourites and telling it to exclude work and favourites as well as home. nothing has worked. It does not do it all the time but at least half the time when I am at home Sentry is showing enabled now ( you can tell from in the app of course).
Its really annoying me and screwing up my charge stats since it also does not think I am charging at home sometimes either.
I was actually thinking of raising a service request. Not that I think they will do anything but if it is software then if enough people report it then it helps to get the message through.

It won't be the software, more likely the GPS is flakey somehow. You should schedule a service visit to get it fixed.
That was my first thought except when I look on the location map the car is always exactly where it is supposed to be within a few cm and satnav works flawlessly. When I am home it literally gives my road and house number as the current location on the map in the app......then turns on sentry anyway????

I may have at least partially solved my Sentry issue. I noticed that the problem of Sentry staying on was far more prevalent when my wife was driving.
I sold the M3 on 2022.20 and bought the MY 0n 2022.24. So I did not have roaming profiles or navigation linked profiles on the old car but I do on the new.
Consequently when I set up home in the new car I was, unbeknownst to me, only setting it up on my profile not on the car as a whole. As far as the car was concerned my wife had no home, or work or favourites. So whenever she drove the car home it did not know it was home.
When these features were introduced I assume the previous single set of values was replicated to all profiles so most people would not see this issue but because I changed cars into these new features I was in the worst position of not having any existing data. needing to set every setting against each profile and not knowing that that was the case.:mad:
I am not sure if this is the whole cause/solution to my Sentry issue but it has to help. I will find out over the next few days......

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
I may have at least partially solved my Sentry issue. I noticed that the problem of Sentry staying on was far more prevalent when my wife was driving.
I sold the M3 on 2022.20 and bought the MY 0n 2022.24. So I did not have roaming profiles or navigation linked profiles on the old car but I do on the new.
Consequently when I set up home in the new car I was, unbeknownst to me, only setting it up on my profile not on the car as a whole. As far as the car was concerned my wife had no home, or work or favourites. So whenever she drove the car home it did not know it was home.
When these features were introduced I assume the previous single set of values was replicated to all profiles so most people would not see this issue but because I changed cars into these new features I was in the worst position of not having any existing data. needing to set every setting against each profile and not knowing that that was the case.:mad:
I am not sure if this is the whole cause/solution to my Sentry issue but it has to help. I will find out over the next few days......
Did this help, I have similar issue after 2.5 years of flawless working. The only thing I did couple of days ago was just added another profile with some seat and mirror changes. But I have replicated all the other settings in this new profile but still it does not see home as excluded. Wondering what else to do, I have done all the routines of resetting etc.,

Did this help, I have similar issue after 2.5 years of flawless working. The only thing I did couple of days ago was just added another profile with some seat and mirror changes. But I have replicated all the other settings in this new profile but still it does not see home as excluded. Wondering what else to do, I have done all the routines of resetting etc.,
Yes this sorted my issue. If the profile you added is not showing home as excluded then that will be an issue.
Has home definitely been set for this new profile and is exclude home checked?
If so i have no idea why it would not work when that profile is selected? Do you use easy entry? Not sure if you need to set on that profile as well. Best to set home location and exclude home on every profile to be safe

Reactions: spdpsba
Check that home is really home. Sometimes the map data gets confused. e.g. when I parked outside my house the car thought it was parked at number 23 whereas it was parked at 21. Big spaces between houses so the car thought it was not at home. Google maps showed the error too. That got fixed, but no reason to suggest map data doesn't get broken from time to time. Set your home as your current location rather than your address to see if there is a discrepancy.

Check that home is really home. Sometimes the map data gets confused. e.g. when I parked outside my house the car thought it was parked at number 23 whereas it was parked at 21. Big spaces between houses so the car thought it was not at home. Google maps showed the error too. That got fixed, but no reason to suggest map data doesn't get broken from time to time. Set your home as your current location rather than your address to see if there is a discrepancy.
you can also add neighbours as "favourites" and exclude favourites either as an experiment or as a longer term workaround to increase the size of the local exclusion zone.

Reactions: init6 and spdpsba
Yes this sorted my issue. If the profile you added is not showing home as excluded then that will be an issue.
Has home definitely been set for this new profile and is exclude home checked?
If so i have no idea why it would not work when that profile is selected? Do you use easy entry? Not sure if you need to set on that profile as well. Best to set home location and exclude home on every profile to be safe
Yes I use east entry. Will try your suggestion and see. Creating new profile shouldn’t mess up with this sentry mode feature but I’ll go thro the settings and check.

Yes I use east entry. Will try your suggestion and see. Creating new profile shouldn’t mess up with this sentry mode feature but I’ll go thro the settings and check.
if you create and use a new profile but don't set home location and exclude home then it 100% will mess up but if you have done those things then no I agree but before doing anything else I would still check that those things are set on ALL profiles to be safe.