TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possible location for the Jersy city supercharger

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Cory, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

Have you seen the SuC on Mott Street, NYC?

2. allen565

allen565 Member

No....but I can only imagine..LOL. Anything in the city in regards to an automobile is a nightmare, so you got me there!!

3. BMWLover

BMWLover Member

Agreed. Most of this thread was before Newport was operational, then Oakman came online, but a week or two later, Newport became operational so I agree with you, I'd never go to Oakman now that Newport is open. In my eyes, Oakman has zero advantages over Newport unless you live there

• Like x 1
  4. simonberg

simonberg Member

Me so happy!! :)
    9D9B0E71-2DB0-4117-ACB8-3049E20DFAAA.jpeg

• Like x 2
  5. electra2016

electra2016 Member

Charged Thursday. It does make a difference in my life. No worries about charging ever again. Wonderful. Long life Tesla!!!

6. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

100% agreed. I live next door to The Oakman and I don't plan on ever using those chargers. :eek:

The driveway to get in is tight, the parking is stacked and super tight. And, you have to pay a lot of money. As you correctly point out, the drive from 1st St to the mall superchargers is exactly half a mile. And, at the mall you have the option to at least walk around and get stuff done while your car charges.

7. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

Btw, Newport is now on PlugShare

8. mgeneczko

mgeneczko Member

So if and when I get my Tesla 3, it will cost me $1.50 plus charging which could be $7 to $12 estimated. That is if I'm there only a hour. So then I'm paying about 1/3 of of a gas powered car to go 300 miles.

9. hickin

hickin Member

bodhipooh, if you live next door to the Oakman, and are looking for long term parking, there is a good tesla charging set up at the parking at the Morgan. (3 chargers, I've never once seen all utilized at the same time) Its where I park/charge my tesla.

10. pakman00

pakman00 Member

We may need to stop at the Newport Centre SC on our way to Manhattan next week. We're likely to get their after the mall is closed (~10pm). Anything open around that time especially with bathrooms or do we need to swing by one of the gas stations near the Holland tunnel entrance? thanks

11. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

There is a Zinburger Burger/Wine and a Cheesecake factory that operate beyond normal shopping hours. Cheescake closes 12;30 AM on Fri & Sat, Zin closes 11PM Fri-Sat

• Like x 2
  12. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

Soo much ICEing there. I was there today there were 3+ SUV parked at the chargers.

13. pakman00

pakman00 Member

We were there near closing so it wasn't crowded but did have a chuckle seeing a model S parked at the EVSE charger spots closer to the mall while all the supercharger spots were wide open. Couldn't tell if it was plugged in.

Convenient location for topping up before heading into Manhattan as we were planning to leave the car parked for an extended weekend.

14. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

Not at all surprised. It will only get worse during the very busy holiday shopping season.

15. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

BTW, tried to supercharge last week, and only got about 40 miles over a 2hr period. I called Tesla to confirm there was an issue with the stations and not my X and they confirmed they had gotten reports of load problems a week or two before, and that they do not have an ETA on when this problem will be fixed. Very annoying, as that is my go-to spot for charging since it is a 10-minute walk from home. I am about to go try again later today, so I will report back with current status. Unfortunately, I am sure this is low priority to PSE&G.

16. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

Unfortunately the location is still experiencing problems with energy loads. Definitely plan ahead and don't show up expecting to be able to supercharge here. With the car completely turned off, I was only able to gain about 40 miles over a 2hr period. A true shame, since this location is a short walk from home.

17. hly

hly Member

What is the charge rate that you are getting, is it around 7 kW?
    And have you tried different stalls?

18. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

The charge rate is definitely WAY below their normal, regular 72 kW. It is not an issue with a stall or two. All of them are affected. Personally, I only tested three stalls (out of twenty) but a call to Tesla confirmed they are having load problems at the location and they do NOT have an ETA on when the problem will be fixed. They are at the mercy of PSE&G, which I suspect does not feel this is a priority. I ended up using the supercharger at The Oakman (160 1st Street) but be prepared to shell out $7 for one hour (or, $9 for two hours) which sucks in comparison to the $1.50 charge at Newport Centre.

19. BMWLover

BMWLover Member

That really sucks, it's been nothing but nonstop issues with this location even before they were operational. Thanks for keeping us posted, I was going to charge there this weekend but now I know it'd be a waste of time/money.

20. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

Turns out there is another thread discussing the same problem. Link: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/jersey-city-supercharger-effectively-down-other-viable-option.116828/

This location being down can be problematic for people who may show up running very low and expecting to supercharge while taking a break at the mall. Also, lots of Tesla owners from NYC actually come here to supercharge because, even after accounting for the ~$15 tunnel toll, it is much cheaper than paying the exorbitant parking fees of Manhattan. I hope they get it sorted out soon, but it's been weeks already.