TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Possible Model 3 test mule sighting?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by wallet.dat, May 18, 2015.

1. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I saw this posted on my FB timeline:

IMHO I doubt it. It looks like there are some exhaust cut outs at the rear, but that could be just to throw people off (?). What do you all think?

2. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Could be, although it seems too big? This looks like the kind of car that rarely goes far from the factory unless it is on a trailer. Do any other manufacturers test around here?

The door handles, shark-fin and exhaust cutouts could easily be part of the camo. But those look like Model S wheels. And the curve of the boot lid looks very similar to Model X. Maybe the Model S facelift?

3. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Looks like either the '16 Malibu or the new Sonata hybrid.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Doubt a Model 3 test mule would have an satellite radio sharkfin antenna. Probably from a larger car co.

5. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Our latest credible datapoint from the "wait but why" blog who made an interview with Elon and visited the HQ is that they were at the clay model phase with Model 3, fine tuning the design. There is no way they made the jump to a road worthy test model yet.

The car they'll show us in March 2016 should be a very early prototype, I'd be suprised if even that one could actually drive on an open road.

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

No Tesla cues visible, unlikely timing (far too early,) and a larger car that is nearly Model S sized? I really doubt it's a Model 3.

7. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

My vote is Malibu:
    2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-rear.jpg

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#8 TEG, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015