Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible of a Ludicrous- mode hack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know in the model S, doing a ludicrous+ you have to wait for the battery preparation.
This is basically it using a heating element to warm the battery so higher amperage can be pulled.

On a model 3, going to a supercharger through navigation initiates the same thing, higher amperage should result from a 90% battery. Should give better 0-60 times?

Again this is just thought based on how it works on the S, of course there could be limitations based on software/hardware.

I have heard about rooting going on in underground circles but nothing firm or that I would actually want to share in public.

There is also an interview with Sasha Anis from Mountainpass Performance (see question answered at 2:55) where he explains that yes of course it's possible to mod/hack the software but it is not worthwhile from a practical standpoint given the implications of trying to maintain code whilst Tesla continues to update the car with OTA software.

why do people assume their current Model 3’s will be capable of Luda mode?

Tesla could very well update the motors and batteries for future versions. Not everything is a retrofit.
You assuming that I'm assuming is an invalid assumption.

I'm not assuming anything. If Ludicrous Mode happens as an available option, great. If it doesn't, great.

And I'm sure they *will* be updating motors and batteries for future versions. Would be stupid of them *not* to. But that doesn't mean that they didn't leave some potential performance on the table in current generation cars. It also doesn't mean that they *did* leave some performance on the table, either.

No one knows until it happens. Or it doesn't.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
You assuming that I'm assuming is an invalid assumption.

I'm not assuming anything. If Ludicrous Mode happens as an available option, great. If it doesn't, great.

And I'm sure they *will* be updating motors and batteries for future versions. Would be stupid of them *not* to. But that doesn't mean that they didn't leave some potential performance on the table in current generation cars. It also doesn't mean that they *did* leave some performance on the table, either.

No one knows until it happens. Or it doesn't.

Cars are ALWAYS left with potential performance on the table. Same for ICE and EV. There is always a trade-off between performance and reliability.

Let an ICE engine rev higher, and you'll get more power. Run the turbo with higher boost, you'll get more power. Until it goes bang. Engines on Top-Fuel produce huge amounts of power, but get rebuilt after a few seconds use!

I very much doubt the the batteries/wires/motors are run up against the limit dictated by the physics/chemistry, it's really about, how much can they get out of it, within the reliability/cost/warrantee/marketing constraints.

If you remove the thermal protection and short-circuit the battery, it will supply WAY more current/wattage than it currently does to the motors...BUT, not for very long.

Cars are ALWAYS left with potential performance on the table. Same for ICE and EV. There is always a trade-off between performance and reliability.

Let an ICE engine rev higher, and you'll get more power. Run the turbo with higher boost, you'll get more power. Until it goes bang. Engines on Top-Fuel produce huge amounts of power, but get rebuilt after a few seconds use!

I very much doubt the the batteries/wires/motors are run up against the limit dictated by the physics/chemistry, it's really about, how much can they get out of it, within the reliability/cost/warrantee/marketing constraints.

If you remove the thermal protection and short-circuit the battery, it will supply WAY more current/wattage than it currently does to the motors...BUT, not for very long.
Exactly.

And if the numbers come in that support unlocking a bit more of that performance, then it's an easy way for them to generate an additional income stream. They've done it in the past several times already, with one of them being free. That doesn't mean that there's anything left for them to give, but we can always hope.