Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reasons why my car will "stopped charging" and then start again later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not often, but more than a few times while my car is in the middle of charging, it will come up and say "stopped charging" the port is red, if I unplug it and put it back in, still same message... and then by itself maybe 30 minutes later it will say "charging" and be normal again...

Is this a car issue, cable issue or power source issue?

this doesn't happen with me, try charging at a public charger and if it happens there too than its something wrong with your car and you should schedule an appointment with the service center.

Thank you, while it's happened a few times since March 27, I've charged it many times and I've yet to charge it outside yet... but I will keep an eye on it when I do have the chance... I have a long road trip planned in June, but nothing multi-days until then.

In about 30-40 supercharger sessions, only once have I seen a charge drop to 0kW, and then spontaneously restart. I vaguely recall that it was overcast, and there was some lightning in the distance.

This morning, the home wall connector (WC) that I've used ~100 times would not even start. But in that instance, the WC showed a red status light, and a simple pushing of the 'reset' button got it working again.

I've never had any interruption that occurred because of apparent heat or cold.... and your situation seems to have a moderate temperature -- so that would not be to blame.

Since I've not seen anyone report a situation similar to yours (after reading these forums for about 3 years), my guess is you are experiencing
  1. Intermittent hardware fault in the car;
  2. Intermittent hardware fault in your Wall Connector (or UMC or whatever);
  3. an unusual software condition that is triggering stop/starts (perhaps even bad data from a sensor).