Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible safety issue with Model 3 for tall people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6'2" and I have the front seat as far back as possible and as low as possible. However, if I was to be propelled forward rapidly in a crash it seems my head to crash into the A pillar where the sun visor is. I watched the crash test videos but the airbags do not seem to stop the dummies for going way past the visor area.

I am 6'2" and I have the front seat as far back as possible and as low as possible. However, if I was to be propelled forward rapidly in a crash it seems my head to crash into the A pillar where the sun visor is. I watched the crash test videos but the airbags do not seem to stop the dummies for going way past the visor area.

Do you wear a seat belt?

If so, there is no physically possible way for your head to detach from your seat-belted torso, and reach the A-pillar (where the windshield attaches to the body of the car).

I watched the crash test videos but the airbags do not seem to stop the dummies for going way past the visor area.

Can you share a link to the crash test that got you worried?
All crash test I ever watched included the test dummy's upper torso leaning forward at an angle (hips tied to the seat with the seat belt), with the head aiming for the steering wheel. Airbag deploys, and prevents face implanting onto the steering wheel.

To reach the "visor area", your, or test dummy's, head would need to go through the steering wheel!

a

Do you wear a seat belt?

If so, there is no physically possible way for your head to detach from your seat-belted torso, and reach the A-pillar (where the windshield attaches to the body of the car).

Can you share a link to the crash test that got you worried?
All crash test I ever watched included the test dummy's upper torso leaning forward at an angle (hips tied to the seat with the seat belt), with the head aiming for the steering wheel. Airbag deploys, and prevents face implanting onto the steering wheel.

To reach the "visor area", your, or test dummy's, head would need to go through the steering wheel!

a

I do wear my seat belt. Here is the video, go to 1:47. The head goes significantly past the visor. This dummie is belted and is rather short

I am 6'2" and I have the front seat as far back as possible and as low as possible.
Then you are not even close to the position the crash test dummy is in.

Do yourself a favor, try one of two tests. Try an emergency brake manuever somewhere safe. Brake with enough force that the seatbelt locks up and you're thrown forward a bit. Another test would be to attempt to hold your seatbelt in place and without allowing it to move, lean forward as far as you possibly can.

There's no possibility you'll hit that pillar.

Then you are not even close to the position the crash test dummy is in.

Do yourself a favor, try one of two tests. Try an emergency brake manuever somewhere safe. Brake with enough force that the seatbelt locks up and you're thrown forward a bit. Another test would be to attempt to hold your seatbelt in place and without allowing it to move, lean forward as far as you possibly can.

There's no possibility you'll hit that pillar.

Ill try this, hope you're right. I know this is something most people would brush off, its just a few years ago a friend got a head injury. Hes never been right since.

I’m nearly 6’ 3” and it isn’t an issue for me. I can touch my head to the visor if I lean forward far enough, but since a seatbelt would stop my body from moving forward far enough to reach, it isn’t a big deal. You must have felt a seat belt lock up before (I’ve had cars that would do it when I was just applying the brake on a highway or even street to slow down moderately), so you should know there isn’t much give there. Unless your torso and neck are significantly longer than mine, there’s basically no way your head can hit the pillar barring a strange seatbelt malfunction of some sort.