TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Possible sighting

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Eclectic, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I'll get this out first: No, she didn't take a picture.

On Friday my wife drove behind what she thought was a Model 3 in our community. We live about 30 miles from the factory and there are a lot of Teslas in this area, so I guess two things are possible. She saw a refreshed Model S or she saw a Model 3 being tested.

I asked her to describe it and she said it was red (yes, that was the first thing she noticed), looked like her car from the side other than it was shorter, and the spoiler was more exaggerated on the hatch. So I asked her why she thought it was a Tesla and she said that when it turned onto a side street, she saw the Tesla logo in the front bumper.

So I showed her pictures of the refreshed Model S and the prototype 3 and she said it was definitely the 3, but it had the logo in the bumper like the Model S, not painted on the hood like the prototype 3 pictures.

The odd thing is that we live in a gated community and she saw the car after 6 pm, so if this was a test vehicle someone must have been taking it overnight.

• Informative x 1
  2. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

You forgot to show her picture of the Model X...

• Like x 1
  3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

If it was shorter it was probably a refreshed S with the air suspension... (assuming by her car you mean your P85D)

4. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

The only red Model 3 we know of is made of wood :)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

There's been a few people who've mistaken the X for a 3.

The main way to tell a 3 from a quick look seems to be the door handles.

• Like x 1
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Most likely a Model X. The X, being a taller vehicle than the S, makes it look like a shorter/squatter version of the S, and therefore mistakenly assumed to be the 3. There are only three known prototypes of the Model 3 and the red one is non-working. Model X has a spoiler; Model 3 does not. Models S/X have the logo on the bumper; whereas the 3 has the logo on the hood. Did she notice if the car she saw had a moustache or not? If it did, then it's an S or X. The 3 is clean-shaven.

7. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I started to ask her if it could have been an X and she made it clear that she knows what the X looks like. I still showed her the pictures and pointed out the spoiler that the X has.
    I did ask her about the possibility of it being an X and showed her images of the spoiler on the X, but she said she knows what the X looks like and is positive it wasn't an X...she said it was no taller than our P85D, just shorter. Then she told me to stop asking her questions about it because she felt like I was interrogating her....

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. 22522

22522 Member

You were.

• Funny x 4
  9. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'd laugh if it was just a Maserati with a spoiler...

10. KeRaSh

KeRaSh Member

[​IMG]

"DID IT LOOK LIKE THIS????
    ANSWER ME!!"

• Funny x 8
  11. MissAutobahn

MissAutobahn Elon, please ramp up Fremont in ludicrous mode!

Maybe she saw the red clay model from the gigafactory, on a trailer behind a Model X :)

12. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Most likely a Model X. At least not a Model 3 if the logo was placed differently.

After you've interrogated her, this is relevant:

13. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

In her defense: As unlikely as it might be right now, we don't know for sure if they've started assembling the betas yet. And the Bay Area would be the place to spot them early on.

14. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Just let us know if she sees one with no driver....

15. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

They won't be assembling betas until they have 21-70 battery cells. That's later this year. The first betas should start showing up early next year.

If this were an actual spotting, it would have to be an early prototype.

16. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Are you sure the prototypes shown at the unveiling did not have 21-70 cells produced as test-cells at Panasonic in Japan?

I am at least confident that they have access to some such cells for testing.

17. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I'm sure they have some cells, but if they're going to make 300 prototypes/betas, that's something like 1-1.5 million cells.

And I'm sure I've heard that Tesla will prioritize Model 3 prototype cells at the Gigafactory once cell production starts, but I can't find it right now.

18. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Hehe - no, I do not suggest that they will build 300 prototypes with this test cells. :) But I'm pretty sure they have *some* cells of this type now, and that they may be building a few prototypes with them.

Btw: Yes, I read about buying parts for 300 cars, but I do not expects them to build anywhere near that number of prototypes. Maybe 50 - 100? Most to be build with cells from GF-I. But if unveil event #2 happens this year - as a lot of persons seems to guess it will - I think they will show us a few (2-5?) new prototypes there, and that will probably be before they will have new cells - done testing - from the GF-I.