Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Solutions for the New User Interface UI 11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the complaints about the new UI 11 focus on the controls that were removed from the main screen:
  • Driver Seat Heater
  • Front Passenger Seat Heater
  • Charging
  • Wipers
  • Windshield Defroster
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Trip Odometer
  • Dashcam Recorder
  • Driver Profiles
  • Tire Pressure
To make it worse, Tesla then disabled the Voice Commands needed to reach these basic functions.

What if there could be a simple way to still access our controls?
  1. Restore the Voice Commands.
  2. Enabled a way to get to the controls removed from the main screen.
Maybe long press Controls to get a popup menu like this:
2021.44.25-Simplified_Controls3.png

This is far from a perfect replacement for what was lost, but a start?
I don't think Tesla will ever go back to 11. So how can they move forward?
What are your ideas?

Last edited:
Eh... so we have to write a diff of how to get from v11 back to v10 so that Tesla can implement those changes? If there were a bunch of improvements in v11 along with a few regressions, perhaps I could understand this approach. In my opinion, not one thing was improved with v11... every single change was worse (except for Sonic and the Light Show, LOL... edit: editing waypoints is good, probably the only thing).

v10 *already* solved all of the problems with v11.

Reactions: K5TRX and sleepydoc
I've asked this question multiple times before and have yet to get an answer - "just how is V11 more convenient than it was before and what problems did it solve with the interface?"

Editable waypoints are more convenient than cancelling nav and starting over.

What problems did V11 solve?
  • Make drivers like V12.
  • Give drivers a new challenge to take their minds off the pandemic.
  • Recruit experienced UI designers and usability testers.
  • Build demand for a control accessory (wipers, defogger, etc.) since Tesla doesn't sell the game controllers.

since V11 allows us to drag and drop from one menu why not just expand that selection menu to allow us to put the seat heater and defrost down there? I dont use any of the other crap besides slacker (since its free and works great) so the "ability" to put more icons down there is annoying and also there is now a ton of empty space even after dropping the allowed number of icons. So if there is all that empty space why not fill it with stuff that is actually useful like the damn seat heater and defrost?

Eh... so we have to write a diff of how to get from v11 back to v10 so that Tesla can implement those changes? If there were a bunch of improvements in v11 along with a few regressions, perhaps I could understand this approach. In my opinion, not one thing was improved with v11... every single change was worse (except for Sonic and the Light Show, LOL... edit: editing waypoints is good, probably the only thing).

v10 *already* solved all of the problems with v11.
I like that the button bar at the bottom is black again like it was in V9. But yeah, that is about the only improvement I can think of 😆

I'm glad it works for you but it's hit-and-miss for me. Are there useful tips?

Enable recirculation. --> [Seconds later, a server error message probably due to spotty cellular.]
Enable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled.
[Later] Disable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled. [???]

Also not ideal when the spouse is in the car sleeping or talking.
With the onboard computing power available, why does using voice commands require a cellular connection? Shouldn't this be done locally, especially given the safety considerations?

Reactions: K5TRX
Agree with pretty much everything above. Also:
1. Two things that work very / somewhat poorly are,
a. Auto headlight dimming (which, since I have the FSD Beta I'm stuck with)
b. Auto vipers.
Every time you manually dim or click for a swipe when the "logic" (?) doesn't realize the windscreen is all covered in drizzle, a dialogue box comes up.
This is extremely annoying, NOTHING in the way of boxes should come up unless its an urgent WARNING, as a result of a routine action. Its distracting, takes your eyes off the road.
Very amateurish Tesla!
2. The selectable side view camera on blinker is a good idea. But in a bad place, right behind where my hand on the wheel is.
Even worse, at night the blinkers red light totally floods the picture giving you a flashing orange square. Once again, distracting.

Elon's got a big egg on his face this one. Just hope it gets fixed in the next update....

With the onboard computing power available, why does using voice commands require a cellular connection? Shouldn't this be done locally, especially given the safety considerations?

You can see on the screen that the car recognizes words and then asks a server to interpret the sentence.

Asking a server makes sense for finding navigation destinations and streaming music but it's bad for car controls due to spotty connectivity, delays, and the inability to search the USB drive.

But adding more toys and games remains higher priority than fixing this.

• Funny
Agree with pretty much everything above. Also:
1. Two things that work very / somewhat poorly are,
a. Auto headlight dimming (which, since I have the FSD Beta I'm stuck with)
b. Auto vipers.
Every time you manually dim or click for a swipe when the "logic" (?) doesn't realize the windscreen is all covered in drizzle, a dialogue box comes up.
This is extremely annoying, NOTHING in the way of boxes should come up unless its an urgent WARNING, as a result of a routine action. Its distracting, takes your eyes off the road.
Very amateurish Tesla!
2. The selectable side view camera on blinker is a good idea. But in a bad place, right behind where my hand on the wheel is.
Even worse, at night the blinkers red light totally floods the picture giving you a flashing orange square. Once again, distracting.

Elon's got a big egg on his face this one. Just hope it gets fixed in the next update....
Auto dimming never worked for me. I disabled it a couple of days after I got the car. Tried after each update and finally gave up on it.
Auto “vipers” never worked either. They are either too fast or too slow. My 2005 Audi had a trimmer to adjust sensitivity and they always worked well. A simple sensitivity bar would have worked but, I guess, the focus was on Sonic The Hedgehog.
Auto dimming of the screen never worked either. I was constantly playing with the right scrolling wheel until I simply disabled it. Now, I find that I adjust the brightness way less often than before.
Bottom line: Automation is a very tricky thing; it does not always work as advertised.

Reactions: K5TRX and smogne41
To me, the simplest solution which keeps software moving forward is to add all of the features mentioned in this thread (seat heaters, defroster, steering wheel heater, etc.) as options to be added to favorite features. Then everyone can decide for themself which are the most important.

Would also be nice to have more than 4 favorites.

Maybe also have an option to show "most recently used feature", because I would like to turn it off so that the extra space can be used to provide another favorite.

To me, the simplest solution which keeps software moving forward is to add all of the features mentioned in this thread (seat heaters, defroster, steering wheel heater, etc.) as options to be added to favorite features. Then everyone can decide for themself which are the most important.

Would also be nice to have more than 4 favorites.

Maybe also have an option to show "most recently used feature", because I would like to turn it off so that the extra space can be used to provide another favorite.
That would be a good solution if well implemented. I damn well want my seat heater controls in the fall/winter, but would not mind hiding them in the spring/summer and swapping in something else more useful. If V11 actually goes this way (and lets me shrink the useless car animation) I would go from hater to fan right away!

There's something to be said for hard wired buttons for things. The seat heater button in my Buick will not magically disappear one day. I don't think things being changed on someone's whim is a great idea. Never dawned on me that those convenient icons on the screen would vanish. I am not someone who likes changes. What am I getting myself into waiting for my refresh X to arrive. Keeping up with the S is enough.

There's something to be said for hard wired buttons for things. The seat heater button in my Buick will not magically disappear one day. I don't think things being changed on someone's whim is a great idea. Never dawned on me that those convenient icons on the screen would vanish. I am not someone who likes changes. What am I getting myself into waiting for my refresh X to arrive. Keeping up with the S is enough.
The only reason we have a physical hazard button in the 3/Y is because it was legally required. Perhaps we need a longer list of things legally required....