Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Solutions for the New User Interface UI 11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the complaints about the new UI 11 focus on the controls that were removed from the main screen:
  • Driver Seat Heater
  • Front Passenger Seat Heater
  • Charging
  • Wipers
  • Windshield Defroster
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Trip Odometer
  • Dashcam Recorder
  • Driver Profiles
  • Tire Pressure
To make it worse, Tesla then disabled the Voice Commands needed to reach these basic functions.

What if there could be a simple way to still access our controls?
  1. Restore the Voice Commands.
  2. Enabled a way to get to the controls removed from the main screen.
Maybe long press Controls to get a popup menu like this:
2021.44.25-Simplified_Controls3.png

This is far from a perfect replacement for what was lost, but a start?
I don't think Tesla will ever go back to 11. So how can they move forward?
What are your ideas?

Last edited:
To me, the simplest solution which keeps software moving forward is to add all of the features mentioned in this thread (seat heaters, defroster, steering wheel heater, etc.) as options to be added to favorite features. Then everyone can decide for themself which are the most important.

Would also be nice to have more than 4 favorites.

Maybe also have an option to show "most recently used feature", because I would like to turn it off so that the extra space can be used to provide another favorite.
It depends what you mean by ‘moving forward.’ V11 moved backwards IMO. The only real improvement was the ability to add waypoints on the map. Some people like the blind spot camera and the auto seat heaters I’ll be generous and give 3 improvements. Pretty much every other change was either neutral or a regression.

It’d be nice to have more than 4 favorites But first you need more than 4 items that are worth pinning to the bottom bar. Right now I have the Radio, Bluetooth, backup camera and messages and even messages I don’t really need to have there. There’s nothing else in the list of choices that’s worth pinning as a favorite.

Reactions: Sporty and K5TRX
There are also some easy UI possibilities that are overlooked. Why not turn off lights when you tap the lights icon? Similarly, have fog lights controls when you tap below the lights icons. Would be a logical place to put it.
Or just enable voice commands to "turn on frong fog lights". Should not be that hard.

Reactions: K5TRX
You can feel for the bottom corner and then it doesn't take long to learn how far the icon is away from there to blindly press it. On a model 3 or Y it's about a finger width from the side and one or two finger widths from the bottom. I find it easiest to find the screen corner with my hand and press the icon with my thumb.
I think Tesla run out of time to include a game with every new release of their GUI to help train the driver to press buttons without looking. Level one shows you buttons as usual and just tells you via voice what to press. Level 2 the buttons get blurred out but you still see the shapes, Level 3 the screen is off. Only limp mode driving allowed after update until you can clear level 3 with 90%+ accuracy - it would be unsafe otherwise to have people looking for things like the "where did the rear window defrost button go" while in driving in challenging winter conditions.

Agree, had the same problem in the mountains with no cell reception for voice commands. Defrosters need to be accessible with one click. It's a safety issue. There's plenty of room along the top edge of the screen for more dedicated or user-selectable buttons, that would be a good place for them that's easily accessible with minimal driver distractions.
Elon is Tesla's chief architect and final QA. He only drives in California and Texas, where defrost button is not needed at all, so he doesn't want to waste any screen space for it (Elon is all about "form over function", must look good is priority #1). Tesla might even be using telemetry data from drivers, with a large portion of them being in California, which told them the most drivers don't ever use this button, so they feel they made the right decision. Perhaps the regulations don't require a rear defroster, or at least are open to interpretation as far as how accessible it must be to the driver (Elon is very good at finding loopholes).

PS> You might not remember, but there was a time where California allowed car manufacturers to sell cars without a rear defroster at all. Perhaps they still do? A friend had one of those (Toyota or Honda, I don't remember, it was circa 1999).

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
Just drove my wife's V11 car, another thing they screwed up is profiles. Switching took multiple tries, it kept on stopping part way through the transition, it said "saving" if I switch in the middle of a transition, but I don't think it actually saved since switching again didn't stop where it said it saved. It's a mess.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
When this update appeared I immediately went to the "Introduction" videos to learn about how to control my car again. To my great disappointment considering all the work expended to update the operational software of the car, there were no revised instructions to teach a user how to navigate this new interface. Proficiency in operating my vehicle is very important to me and I expect it of other drivers also.

This is a catastrophe of an update, badly implement and introduced. It would be very helpful if Tesla were to show the changes a software update will create in the operational environment and allow a customer to determine if they want it.

If we take into account the direction of development of Tesla's technologies as TeslaVision, then I would offer them a compromise version of the driver's ergonomics.
You can make all the necessary switches (glass cleaner. glass heating, turn signal switches and so on .... Especially for the new Model S and X.
But.... In order to simplify the design of the car, all these physical switches should not have any contacts and wires. Let a separate camera monitor their position).
How do you like this idea?

Elon is Tesla's chief architect and final QA. He only drives in California and Texas, where defrost button is not needed at all, so he doesn't want to waste any screen space for it (Elon is all about "form over function", must look good is priority #1). Tesla might even be using telemetry data from drivers, with a large portion of them being in California, which told them the most drivers don't ever use this button, so they feel they made the right decision. Perhaps the regulations don't require a rear defroster, or at least are open to interpretation as far as how accessible it must be to the driver (Elon is very good at finding loopholes).

PS> You might not remember, but there was a time where California allowed car manufacturers to sell cars without a rear defroster at all. Perhaps they still do? A friend had one of those (Toyota or Honda, I don't remember, it was circa 1999).

So much in the post…

Even if they got some telemetrics (which I doubt) they need to be understood properly. I don’t need defogging, or wipers, on the majority of my drives during a specific time of year. The need to understand many things… including people have personal preferences. So many issues.. how do you get telemetrics on glances to an icon?

I like Elon and am very impressed. But that doesn’t mean he’s perfect. There are a couple of things he should be doing other then deciding the disposition in some of these buttons/features. Put someone else in charge of them.. give them decision making power and hold them accountable. If he’s already done that, then now is the time for some accountability. If he’s making these decisions it’s time to hand this level of thing off to someone. He’s clearly smart enough to figure it out.

I suppose if he never does then sooner or later the competition (or something) will make it less fun and he’ll move onto something else. Note I think the competition taking a big enough bite to make the job less fun is likely to take a really long time. Tesla (highly due to Elon) is generations ahead the competition. And for how impressive Tesla has been the competition is almost a polar opposite. They’ve done very little very slowly.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Model 3 Owner's Manual 2021.44.25.2 (now available, but not as a PDF) says how to turn it on but doesn't explain the distinction:

[Blue and yellow?]
I have the same question about Blue and Yellow. When is it blue and when is it yellow? I also experience the high heat and high fan when I was trying to defog the window. The next time, I will try using using an unambiguous voice command like "defog on". I hope the video gamers did not program the "defog on" to some cute words that I would never think to use. Bigger font for the response to the voice command is needed.