Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Solutions for the New User Interface UI 11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the complaints about the new UI 11 focus on the controls that were removed from the main screen:
  • Driver Seat Heater
  • Front Passenger Seat Heater
  • Charging
  • Wipers
  • Windshield Defroster
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Trip Odometer
  • Dashcam Recorder
  • Driver Profiles
  • Tire Pressure
To make it worse, Tesla then disabled the Voice Commands needed to reach these basic functions.

What if there could be a simple way to still access our controls?
  1. Restore the Voice Commands.
  2. Enabled a way to get to the controls removed from the main screen.
Maybe long press Controls to get a popup menu like this:
2021.44.25-Simplified_Controls3.png

This is far from a perfect replacement for what was lost, but a start?
I don't think Tesla will ever go back to 11. So how can they move forward?
What are your ideas?

Last edited:
There's a lot to say for making and user-testing incremental changes. I agree it'd help if we could open a panel like this without taking eyes off road (maybe swipe in from the steering wheel side of the screen?), assuming it's discoverable and it stays up while you deal with curves.

The driver profile choices could all appear while in Park so it only takes 1 tap to stop the "Star Wars trash compactor" and pick your profile. (I know there's another way to do the first half.)

Also restore text, map, & backup camera readability from Nov. 2020 (or make it an option), and the secondary nav direction location back at the top of the digital twin area.

Don't hide the cellular connectivity indicator when it has bars, tire pressures when there's no data, superchargers when not finding a destination, ... That hurts discoverability and clarity, like a traffic light that's either RED or off.

Many of the complaints about the new UI 11 focus on the controls that were removed from the main screen:
  • Driver Seat Heater
  • Charging
  • Wipers
  • Windshield Defroster
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Trip Odometer
  • Dashcam Recorder
  • Driver Profiles
  • Tire Pressure
To make it worse, Tesla then disabled the Voice Commands needed to reach these basic functions.

View attachment 754007

What are your ideas?
I totally agree with this. These are some key and routine features most people use--even give us the ability to customize. We need this desperately.

Reactions: K5TRX
  • Driver Seat Heater
  • Charging
  • Wipers
  • Windshield Defroster
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Trip Odometer
  • Dashcam Recorder
  • Driver Profiles
  • Tire Pressure

View attachment 754007

What are your ideas?
The defroster voice commands are still there. I can confirm this because I only started to use these defroster voice commands after the v11 update.

• Helpful
Reactions: K5TRX and T-Mom

What previous voice commands have been disabled? The replacement voice command for showing the tire pressures is "show service settings". The only command lost, that I know of, is to show the now removed trip card, so they need to restore "show trip". Have any others been removed?

[...]
View attachment 754007
I agree it'd help if we could open a panel like this without taking eyes off road

(A long press on the Controls icon is already assigned to saving a diagnostic report for display problems.)

Assuming the goal is to easily expose now hidden controls and indicators, without taking your eyes off the road for the additional press, I don't see how this is currently much of an issue. Addressing the functions listed in the original post (Known quick access techniques, such as pressing the wipers button, notwithstanding):

Charging:
You can still press the battery icon at the top, so it's still a single press.

Driver Seat Heater, Front Passenger Seat Heater, Windshield Defroster, Rear Window Defroster and let's add Steering Wheel Heater:
You can swipe up from anywhere along the bottom edge of the screen to bring up the climate control panel. You can easily feel for the bottom edge of the screen and swipe up without taking your eyes off the road.

Once the climate panel is displayed, the driver and front passenger seat heater buttons are then pretty much where they used to be. The defroster buttons are now higher up, so you don't have to look as far away to find them.

Driver Profiles plus the Bluetooth, Network, Alerts, etc. icons that used to be always visible at the top:
The Controls (car) icon is (still) located first, directly in the bottom corner of the screen. This location makes it easy to press without having to take your eyes off the road to look down. You can feel for the bottom corner and then it doesn't take long to learn how far the icon is away from there to blindly press it. On a model 3 or Y it's about a finger width from the side and one or two finger widths from the bottom. I find it easiest to find the screen corner with my hand and press the icon with my thumb.

Once the Controls menu is up (which you can verify by seeing its movement out of the corner of your eye, again, without taking your eyes off the road), the the profile and icons are along the top, pretty much where they used to be.

Dashcam Recorder and Sentry:
These are now farther down on the Controls menu but they're much larger, so easier to press, and the presence or absence of red color makes it easy to see whether they're active or not.

Wipers:
Wiper controls are in the middle of the Controls menu.

Trip Odometer, Tire Pressure:
Instead of a left or right swipe to bring up their cards, these are now a single tap once the Controls menu is displayed. Admittedly, these may a bit harder to visually locate and tap than swiping may have been (although there are people who complained that it was difficult to find the proper location to swipe from).

So in summary, since the climate control panel and Controls menu can both be brought up blindly, by feel, without taking your eyes off the road, items that are now hidden are just a single "eyes off the road" tap, as they used to be. I don't see how any of the proposals in the original post are an improvement on this.

It might be nice to have the driver profile and top row icons restored to being always visible but personally I really only used the Sentry icon to any great extent, to verify that Sentry mode was enabled before leaving the car.

What I would like to have changed is that bringing up the the climate control panel doesn't automatically turn on climate. If it's on, leave it on. if it's off, leave it off. Let me decide to manually turn it on or off (and the manual or automatic setting). This would address the complaint about not being able to activate or deactivate the seat and steering wheel heaters without having climate turn on.

Last edited:
There is a difference between available and convenient. Yes, I can find the controls in V11 but in V10 they were one touch only. Also, I could see whether something is on or off by just glancing at it.
Yes, some people probable never use seat heaters and they could care less. On the other side, I could care less for games but use seat heater consistently. I thought I bought a car, which it was until V11, not a game console, which is where it is heading to.

• The removal of many one click/one swipe access to functionalities can potentially impact driving safety. Here is my own scenario - I was driving on a winding downhill mountain road at below freezing temperature after a ski trip. The road had no road lights and it was after sunset. The climate out there was changing fast. I found the windshield started to fog up, and I need to turn on the defroster. In the old UI I could just slide my finger along the bottom edge of the touch screen and tap the button that I knew the position by muscle memory. In the new UI, I had to bring up the climate control view, then float my finger in the middle of the screen hoping I could tap the right spot. So I had to remove my eyes from the road to do this (while I was on a winding dark mountain road). The road was single lane so I had no option to pull over and do it. The cell signal was also spotty on that road so voice commands did not really work.
I'm quoting my own words from another post. I bet most people would agree that they don't want to get themselves into such a situation.

I'm quoting my own words from another post. I bet most people would agree that they don't want to get themselves into such a situation.
Agree, had the same problem in the mountains with no cell reception for voice commands. Defrosters need to be accessible with one click. It's a safety issue. There's plenty of room along the top edge of the screen for more dedicated or user-selectable buttons, that would be a good place for them that's easily accessible with minimal driver distractions.

Agree, had the same problem in the mountains with no cell reception for voice commands. Defrosters need to be accessible with one click. It's a safety issue. There's plenty of room along the top edge of the screen for more dedicated or user-selectable buttons, that would be a good place for them that's easily accessible with minimal driver distractions.
I just found 2021.44.30 gets uglier (yes, I'm polite) with the front defroster. The front defroster voice command now will only turn it on to High, which will also turn the climate temperature to HI and slow cook everyone in the car. If I then turn the temperature back to where I normally set, it will turn off the defroster!

I just found 2021.44.30 gets uglier (yes, I'm polite) with the front defroster. The front defroster voice command now will only turn it on to High, which will also turn the climate temperature to HI and slow cook everyone in the car. If I then turn the temperature back to where I normally set, it will turn off the defroster!
say defogger instead of defroster. defroster is for when you have ice on the outside of your windshield and need to melt it.

say defogger instead of defroster. defroster is for when you have ice on the outside of your windshield and need to melt it.

Thank you!

Model 3 Owner's Manual 2021.44.25.2 (now available, but not as a PDF) says how to turn it on but doesn't explain the distinction:

The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns blue) (the icon turns yellow). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield (the icon turns red and the heating and fan operate at maximum levels). Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating, and fan to their previous settings. In cold ambient temperatures, the exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the windshield defroster is operating.

[Blue and yellow?]

Hmmm, I must be misunderstanding something here. I am able to still use voice commands on my MX, so I practically never use the menu while driving. I'm not saying this is the solution. Just stating I am not having issues with voice commands on my trip down to Fremont a few days ago.

I'm glad it works for you but it's hit-and-miss for me. Are there useful tips?

Enable recirculation. --> [Seconds later, a server error message probably due to spotty cellular.]
Enable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled.
[Later] Disable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled. [???]

Also not ideal when the spouse is in the car sleeping or talking.

Reactions: K5TRX and lensovet
I'm glad it works for you but it's hit-and-miss for me. Are there useful tips?

Enable recirculation. --> [Seconds later, a server error message probably due to spotty cellular.]
Enable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled.
[Later] Disable recirculation. --> Recirculation enabled. [???]

Also not ideal when the spouse is in the car sleeping or talking.
We probably need a dedicated thread for the sloppy voice command implementation.

For me, "set wiper to 1" will be recognized as "set wiper 21", and the car will set wiper to the highest speed (probably the car is thinking 21 >= 4 so it is maximum).

Wow, you're a life saver. How could you figure out the defogger vs defroster commands? I have never seen it mentioned anywhere.
immediately after taking delivery i drove straight into a snowstorm and drove for 12 hours using the defogger, wondering why it was making me cold rather than warm and seemingly not doing very much to melt the snow on my windshield. at some point later i read online about the fact that there's the defogger and defroster as described in the manual above and have memorized the difference since. ironically, 3 years later, i have yet to ever need the front defroster.

What previous voice commands have been disabled? The replacement voice command for showing the tire pressures is "show service settings". The only command lost, that I know of, is to show the now removed trip card, so they need to restore "show trip". Have any others been removed?
Some of the UI V10 Voice Commands Disabled in V11:
"Tires" "Show Tires"
"Odometer" "Show Odometer"
"Driver"
"Charging" "Charge"
"Wipers" "Wiper"
Ironically, "Show Driver Menu" brings up the Pedals menu.

Last edited: