Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible steering problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
Tesla recently replaced the low power switchpack - when I got the car back the steering wheel pointed a bit to the left to go straight ahead.

Not the first time. When they replaced the low power switchpack last year I got the car back with the steering wheel pointed left to go straight ahead.

Booked to go back in to Tesla next week.

Here is where things get interesting...

I jacked the car up (one side at a time) to swap the rear wheels out and to check the front + rear brakes. Front wheels removed and put back.

Jumped in the car - now the steering is straight! :confused:

There is no play in the steering. Are there any components that could resettle when the weight is taken off the suspension and lock down when weight is reapplied?

Many roads can play with your head to make you believe that the steering is off. I've been on roads where it felt like my steering was too much to the right, then the left. You have to find a truly level road in order to correctly feel if your steering is off. Most roads are cambered / slanted to the right for water runoff, so naturally you're compensating with the steering wheel by pulling harder to the left. Lastly, its difficult to get your steering perfectly centered. My Roadster's steering wheel is slightly favored to the left. I've fought this issue with other cars, honestly I just live with it. As long they dial me in to the numbers I want, and I have a printout of it, I'm happy.

Many roads can play with your head to make you believe that the steering is off. I've been on roads where it felt like my steering was too much to the right, then the left. You have to find a truly level road in order to correctly feel if your steering is off. Most roads are cambered / slanted to the right for water runoff, so naturally you're compensating with the steering wheel by pulling harder to the left. Lastly, its difficult to get your steering perfectly centered. My Roadster's steering wheel is slightly favored to the left. I've fought this issue with other cars, honestly I just live with it. As long they dial me in to the numbers I want, and I have a printout of it, I'm happy.
I know what you mean but I drive the same ~50 miles each day and it is quite distinct when it is wrong.