TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Possible Texas store locations

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by dsm363, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Has anyone watched the Tesla IPO presentation?
    http://www.retailroadshow.com/roadshows.asp

Not a lot of new news but very interesting. They do show a map briefly halfway through the presentation with future sites. It's a world map so Texas is very small on the screen but it looks like the locations are Houston and Dallas if I have that right. Can anyone verify that? Too bad it's not San Antonio or Austin but anywhere in Texas would be nice. Think the closest place now is 1000 miles.

Dave

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Here is a grab:

attachment.php?attachmentid=714&d=1277563706.png

Attached Files:

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Oft-overlooked factoid. . . Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA. Why is it taking so long, I wonder?

I also wonder how Tesla is going to work around the obnoxious dealership laws in Texas. Last I heard, it was illegal for car makers to sell directly to the public in Texas.

4. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

It's my understanding that those laws are exactly why Tesla doesn't have any stores there. Georgia, and another state I've forgotten have these same types of laws.

Aren't there lots of Texas politicians always going on and on about the free market? It don't sound so free down there to me...

5. dsm363

I've written to my state senator twice about this. It appears to be some law put in place to protect dealerships from competition. A bill to fix this was introduced last session (they only meet every 2 years here) but didn't make it out of committee. Texas is obviously an oil state and is really missing out on wind, solar and other green efforts from what I've gathered in the last year living here.

Dave

6. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Actually, Texas produces more electricity from wind power than any other state in the USA.

Source: Wikipedia

7. dsm363

Thanks. I get 100% of my power from wind (well, pay for it but the power can come from any source via the local power company) so that's good to know.

8. rhall

rhall Member

Don't' know if anyone else noticed the senior sales advisor for the dallas location in the job listings. Looks like Dallas may be first.

9. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

Note that the listing says that the sales advisor will not initially be supported by a store and will be working from a home office.

10. rhall

rhall Member

True, but it's a start to feeling out the market place before opening a store in the market. Might be because of the dealership laws in texas.

11. dsm363

I stopped by the store in Chicago and spoke with one of the sales people. Sounds like they're going to open a LLC that is wholly owned by Tesla to get around this direct ownership law.

Dave

12. kgb

kgb Member

This was my biggest reservation before finally leasing one (I'm in Houston). They send someone to your home for service, but charge $1 per round trip mile. The status last I checked is that they have someone in Oklahoma just over the border. So the round trip fee will be just around $1000 per service until they put a store in Houston. Even if they do Dallas first, it'll still be around $500 per service for me.

13. dsm363

So do I understand it correctly that in Texas you pay the 6.25% sales tax on the entire purchase price even if you only have the lease 2 years (of the 3 year lease)? That seems odd. Congrats on getting the Roadster.

14. kgb

kgb Member

#14 kgb, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    good question. not sure. I'll review my paperwork and get back to you.

UPDATE: When I reviewed my paperwork, I noticed that I was being charged "sales tax" and the paperwork was on "California Pre-lease" form. So I got concerned that I was paying California taxes, and that I'd have to pay Texas taxes when I attempt to register. I asked my salesman (Ross) about it, and he knew of this thread and had all my answers ready...
    1) I'm not paying taxes in California, only Texas.
    2) I am paying taxes on the whole vehicle price. Apparently Texas is one of 2 states that does this, even though the lease is for 3 years and the vehicle is not completely depreciated. I was advised to ask an accountant about it. My accountants are very busy with other issues with me, so I will ask them this low priority question later.

15. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

I wonder if there is a similar way to buy certified power generated by nuclear fission?

16. dsm363

Maybe the Roadster 3.0 will have an optional 'Mr. Fusion'

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2010/10/11/story7.html