Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible To Add More Panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
I'm currently working with Tesla to get solar installed on my house. I've received the first design and they dropped my desired 9.6kW system down to 4.8kW (which will only offset 48% of my usage). I requested a design change with more panels and was almost immediately told that they couldn't satisfy my request. I have a phone call scheduled with a project advisor on Thursday - does any one have any advice on how to get them to consider a bigger system?

I've gotten several other quotes from other solar companies, and none of their designs seem to have a problem fitting more panels on the roof (they are, however, $15k-$20k more expensive...).

Here is the Tesla design. The house faces east.
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 6.52.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 7.03.12 PM.png

Thanks!

That is interesting because a co-worker of mine whose sister lives in Riverside, CA said that she wanted a 9.6kWh system, and Tesla was willing to install that even it produces about 125% offset of what her current usage is. Unfortunately it was the city of Riverside that refuses to permit Tesla to install such a system, citing that her usage does not warrant such a large system (125% offset), even tho she said that she will buy an EV in the immediate future. So she has to settle for a 4.8kWh system.

With the offset of 48% for your case, I would imagine Tesla would be more than happy to install a larger system for you (more $$ for them). Don't know why they would refuse to install bigger system for you though.

I, myself, am currently waiting for a 4.8 system to be installed (waiting for an assessment from Tesla in Oct.)

Looking at your roof drawing I bet that is why Tesla will not do you and why other companies will and cost more because the roof is all chopped up, have a number of penetrations that one has to work around. That gets expensive.
When the house was designed and built, solar was not in the designer's vocabulary, I think.

I'm currently working with Tesla to get solar installed on my house. I've received the first design and they dropped my desired 9.6kW system down to 4.8kW (which will only offset 48% of my usage). I requested a design change with more panels and was almost immediately told that they couldn't satisfy my request. I have a phone call scheduled with a project advisor on Thursday - does any one have any advice on how to get them to consider a bigger system?

I've gotten several other quotes from other solar companies, and none of their designs seem to have a problem fitting more panels on the roof (they are, however, $15k-$20k more expensive...).

Here is the Tesla design. The house faces east.
View attachment 841729 View attachment 841735

Thanks!
I have 4.08kw system with one Power Wall. I originally wanted the next size up solar with two Power Walls, but Tesla said I don't even use 1/2 of what I'll end up producing and told me no. It's a paid and not leased. I had no idea why they wouldn't just sell me the bigger system with two Power Walls at the time. It's my money! lol

I am looking to maybe buy some used panels that came off commercial buildings and source my own storage system. Perhaps to use it to charge my car and random in my garage, but not tie it to the grid.

Thank you for all the responses!

@charlesj was 100% correct - Tesla was having problems fitting additional panels on the roof. After several back and forth communications with them (yes, communication with Tesla is as bad as everyone says it is), I was able get them to understand that I was in the process of replacing the roof and I could have vents and other obstructions moved. I just needed to know exactly which ones to move in order to fit additional panels. They finally sent me a schematic showing 5 obstructions that needed to be moved, which I was then able to get approved by the roofing company. So now I'm waiting for what is hopefully the last re-design from Tesla with the requested size.

In the meantime I've received 4 other solar quotes, and only one other company is even in the ballpark in terms of price. They're about $10k more for a 1.2kW smaller system, but they use micro inverters, higher quality panels, and have better roof placement (Tesla wants to put 5 panels on the North roof face).

To be honest, if the other solar company could close the gap by even a few $k I would probably go with them just to avoid the hassle of dealing with Tesla's terrible support.

Reactions: charlesj
Thank you for all the responses!

@charlesj was 100% correct - Tesla was having problems fitting additional panels on the roof. After several back and forth communications with them (yes, communication with Tesla is as bad as everyone says it is), I was able get them to understand that I was in the process of replacing the roof and I could have vents and other obstructions moved. I just needed to know exactly which ones to move in order to fit additional panels. They finally sent me a schematic showing 5 obstructions that needed to be moved, which I was then able to get approved by the roofing company. So now I'm waiting for what is hopefully the last re-design from Tesla with the requested size.

In the meantime I've received 4 other solar quotes, and only one other company is even in the ballpark in terms of price. They're about $10k more for a 1.2kW smaller system, but they use micro inverters, higher quality panels, and have better roof placement (Tesla wants to put 5 panels on the North roof face).

To be honest, if the other solar company could close the gap by even a few $k I would probably go with them just to avoid the hassle of dealing with Tesla's terrible support.
BUt you get 30% back, so closer already