Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to buy an aftermarket heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents have an early model Y without heated steering wheel. I saw there are all kinds of aftermarket steering wheels for Tesla's out there.

My question is, even if we purchased a steering wheel with heater, how would the car know? Would a tech need to program it in? Could we do it ourselves? Will car just recognize the new wheel and show the option on the screen?

Anyone done this?

My parents have an early model Y without heated steering wheel. I saw there are all kinds of aftermarket steering wheels for Tesla's out there.

My question is, even if we purchased a steering wheel with heater, how would the car know? Would a tech need to program it in? Could we do it ourselves? Will car just recognize the new wheel and show the option on the screen?

Anyone done this?
Hi, I´m new to this group but Im about to retrofit heated steering wheel on my late 2014 model S

I have read that the steering wheel of the model 3 & y has heated steering wheel and that you have to talk to tesla to order it. You will pay for the subzero winter package, and get heated rear seats a n d steering wheel.
Talk to Tesla and let them decide the outcome of this topic. Otherwise, you must change the sccm, wheel, install a heat ecu and a cable harness made for heat.

Good luck !

It has already been pointed out in prior threads that the wiring harness on MYs prior to the availability of the heated steering wheel have fewer contacts. It will require more than just swapping out the wheel.

It has already been pointed out in prior threads that the wiring harness on MYs prior to the availability of the heated steering wheel have fewer contacts. It will require more than just swapping out the wheel.
this is what I understood as well. mine actually came with the heated steering wheel but is not and can't be active because the car is on the old wiring harness. I guess during the refresh when they ran out of old steering wheels but still had old wiring stock to get rid of? I would pay a bit to get it unlocked if they ever figure out a retrofit for the wiring harness