Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to "convert" a Performance Y into a LR (82kWh pack + new Headlights)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently both the Performance Model Y and Long Range Model Y are being delivered with the 82kWh battery.

You can fit 19" wheels to the Performance Model Y provided the new wheels clear the brake calipers. I believe the 19" Tesla wheels will fit the Performance Model Y. What you are describing is the Performance Model Y without the performance upgrade package (PUP.) At one time Tesla would sell you the Performance Model Y with or without PUP for the same price. PUP included the performance 21" wheels, tires, performance brakes and the 1.1" lower performance suspension. If you ordered a Performance Model Y without selecting PUP you were basically paying for the increased power (more powerful motors and higher output power controller modules) and the spoiler; also red underline below the Dual Motor badge.

I haven't' seen any reports of the regular AWD having the 82kWh pack. I guess I'd better do more research.

Basically I want a long range highway cruiser....a LR RWD with the 82kWh pack ideally.
You would cruise further with the 19" wheels, the right tires and keeping your speed to under 70 MPH (65 MPH for best range and efficiency.) The extra 3 or 4 kWh is at best an additional 15 miles of range.

When planning road trips the phone app (also a web site) A Better Route Planner (ABRP) can help estimate the range you can expect under different conditions, provide recommended charging locations (Supercharger, also non-Supercharger locations.) With the ability to charge, add 150 or more miles during a 20 minute pit stop range is not foremost when taking longer trips in a Tesla.

Maybe you should wait and see if Tesla ever decides to deliver the Long Range RWD Model Y. On paper the Long Range RWD Model Y could provide up to 20 miles of additional range over the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y. Also, longer term, new battery technology (4680 cells), structural batteries and other enhancements will increase range.

The latest Long Range Model S, at 412 miles est. has the longest EPA range estimate of any current production Tesla vehicle but you already know that.

Last edited: