TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Possible to disable auto presenting doors altogether?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NewCow, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NewCow

NewCow Member

I could have sworn that it was possible to disable the auto presenting completely. When I turn the setting to "off" the door handles still extend/retract, just not automatically when I approach the car. One of mine failed a few weeks ago, and another is now making a faint grinding noise, so I think I'd rather just have stationary handles to minimize wear and tear (if possible).

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

have you considered getting to a service center? AFAIK there in no way to completely shut the handles down.

3. tpham07

tpham07 Member

How does one open the doors if the handles don't present? im just curious.

Pretty sure they're designed to fully retract to while driving to not only lock the car but to improve aerodynamics.

4. BlindBanana

BlindBanana Member

You just need to push on them and they'll present (only if you have the key on you though).

5. Dbj77

Dbj77 Member

My back drivers side door doesn't always auto present, and the service center can't figure out why. When it doesn't auto present, I can still open the door by reaching through the front door or the window and pulling the door level on the inside.

6. tpham07

tpham07 Member

i misunderstood the OP. i thought he wanted the handles to stop popping out regardless, didn't realize he meant automatically.