Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to drive from USA to Chile in Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I am new to this forum and soon to be new to the Tesla owner's community (finally)!

I'm planning a work-while-traveling trip where I'll be living in cities and countries from Mexico all the way down to Chile over the next couple years, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to take a Tesla that far? I was planning to buy a model X due to the cargo space, but I'm concerned about the lack of EV charging stations in some countries (specifically in South America), and then repairs if something goes wrong - like say if I'm in Medellín, Columbia and something happens to the battery... lol could you imagine?

I will be living and working in most countries 1-3 months, and then driving between all of them - starting with Mexico.

Can anyone lend any insight here? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Dustin

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hello - I am new to this forum and soon to be new to the Tesla owner's community (finally)!

I'm planning a work-while-traveling trip where I'll be living in cities and countries from Mexico all the way down to Chile over the next couple years, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to take a Tesla that far? I was planning to buy a model X due to the cargo space, but I'm concerned about the lack of EV charging stations in some countries (specifically in South America), and then repairs if something goes wrong - like say if I'm in Medellín, Columbia and something happens to the battery... lol could you imagine?

I will be living and working in most countries 1-3 months, and then driving between all of them - starting with Mexico.

Thank you,
Dustin
I don’t know how you would charge it on the way to your destinations, or how to charge it when you’re there. Seems like an ICE car would be better suited for this kind of travel.

So, technically, the answer is obviously yes, as all you need is consumer electrical infrastructure and that's available everywhere in the world you find people.

In practice though, there are no superchargers south of Mexico. I do see a few CHAdeMO ports scattered around Costa Rica and Venezuela, and two more in Quito Ecuador. Those would help you out some. But really this is going to be a VERY slow trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: mathwhiz
You should watch Long Way Up where they ride from Argentina to LA on Harley LiveWires and use prototype Rivians as their support vehicle. It came out last year and charging seemed to be a constant problem. Sometimes they had to have someone tow the Rivians to charge the batteries.
I was going to suggest the same thing 😁 Great show, but clearly charging was a big problem even though Rivian did set up some charging stations on the route in advance. What the show never made very clear was that obviously the riders and the drivers spent a LONG time every day charging because the available chargers were slow. They also carried a generator with them and used that for charging.

To the OP: I would not recommend trying to drive an X to Chile. Very limited charging and absolutely no Tesla service support anywhere. It would be a nightmare.

Before you set out to try to drive between Central and South America, you might want to research how to bypass the Darien Gap (it won't be by driving, the lack of roads trumps the lack of charging).
I agree, this zone has no motorable road and is a paradise for drug runners and with practically no law enforcement. I am told it is too dangerous. EV or ICE cars , it does not matter if you are not alive to drive the car.

Thank you,
Dustin
You're kidding right?