Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to lock M3 with cellphone in car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Looking forward to picking up a 22 M3LR in a couple months (hopefully). Plan to use they key card and phone app varyingly for car locking. Will always have PIN to drive enabled.

Question: do you need to do anything special to leave your phone in the car and lock the car with the keycard from the outside? For example, do you need to put the phone in airplane mode?

Thanks,

Todd

I leave my iphone in the car every day for work. I simply turn bluetooth off on the phone before I get out, the car beeps to alert me that I need to manually lock with the keycard. I have my keycard behind my drivers license in my wallet and I can lock/unlock the car just by holding my wallet up to the B pillar. When I get back to the car, I turn bluetooth back on on my phone and the phone functions normally to lock/unlock the car and connect to the car for calls/music. Never had an issue.

Reactions: pnwadventures

"When you turn on Airplane Mode, it turns off all radios except for Bluetooth. If you turn off Bluetooth while you're in Airplane Mode, your device will remember the next time you turn on Airplane Mode."

As it appears that the default action of enabling Airplane Mode leaves Bluetooth on, and it can be changed depending on the last usage, one should probably just disable Bluetooth by itself when leaving the phone in the car.

As mentioned, turn off BT and lock with the keycard.

Take note, though, when you subsequently exit the car with your phone, it won’t do walk away lock based on the phone as key since you started that drive with the keycard. Either lock it with the card or open the app and press the lock button. The next time you approach the car with your phone as key, it will work normally.

• Informative
Reactions: TheJDJ
Or if you want to be sure that the phone in the car will not keep it unlocked (versus wondering if airplane mode turns off bluetooth, etc.), just turn off the phone completely before leaving it in the car and locking with the keycard (or fob if you have one).

All great detail, thanks! Just to push on this last point a bit farther, if you disabled BT to leave your iPhone in the car, locked with key card, and unlocked with key card, once you’re back in the car, is there something you can do with the iPhone so walk-away locking will be active when you get out? Or, is that impossible because you got in the car with the keycard?

This is how it could work:

1. Open door with keycard.
2. Reach in and grab your phone.
3. Close the door.
4. Turn on BT.
5. Use the app to lock your doors.
Then use your phone to unlock as normal?

* step 5 may not be necessary.
All great detail, thanks! Just to push on this last point a bit farther, if you disabled BT to leave your iPhone in the car, locked with key card, and unlocked with key card, once you’re back in the car, is there something you can do with the iPhone so walk-away locking will be active when you get out? Or, is that impossible because you got in the car with the keycard?

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Looking forward to picking up a 22 M3LR in a couple months (hopefully). Plan to use they key card and phone app varyingly for car locking. Will always have PIN to drive enabled.

Question: do you need to do anything special to leave your phone in the car and lock the car with the keycard from the outside? For example, do you need to put the phone in airplane mode?

Thanks,

Todd
Curious as to why someone would leave their ‘phone in their car?

Once I get back in my car (unlock using keycard), I retrieve my iphone and turn BT back on before doing anything else. Then I can begin driving normally without using my keycard (never take it out of my wallet), and the phone is active for walk-away lock and calls/music in the car without taking any additional steps. It's pretty seamless. I do this every single day for work.

• Informative
Reactions: TheJDJ
Once I get back in my car (unlock using keycard), I retrieve my iphone and turn BT back on before doing anything else. Then I can begin driving normally without using my keycard (never take it out of my wallet), and the phone is active for walk-away lock and calls/music in the car without taking any additional steps. It's pretty seamless. I do this every single day for work.
Awesome, thanks!

Drive somewhere, then go running, swimming, kayaking, etc, etc?
Kayaking in my case. I'll probably take my phone with me - inside a small water resistant phone pouch, inside a dry bag, inside a not-waterproof backpack, in the hold of my Sit-On-Top - so I expect it will stay dry. If I find myself worried about my phone while I'm out there I'll bring a keycard instead. Thinking about that is what led me to this thread.

Well, crap. I've been leaving my phone in my car but not turning off BT. I just assumed it was smart enough to recognize if the phone was in the car but the door is locked with the key card, then it should only be unlocked by the key card or a different phone. Bad on me for assuming and not testing. Guess anyone could have gotten in my car and driven away with it... 😬

FWIW, I do this to go running, having the card jiggling around in my running shorts is a lot easier than my bulky phone... and less likely to inadvertently drag them down.

Thanks for posting this and saving me a stolen car AND phone.

Well, crap. I've been leaving my phone in my car but not turning off BT. I just assumed it was smart enough to recognize if the phone was in the car but the door is locked with the key card, then it should only be unlocked by the key card or a different phone. Bad on me for assuming and not testing. Guess anyone could have gotten in my car and driven away with it... 😬

FWIW, I do this to go running, having the card jiggling around in my running shorts is a lot easier than my bulky phone... and less likely to inadvertently drag them down.

I’m glad my ignorance/curiosity might have done some good! FWIW, I had a Model S once and thought the PIN to drive feature was essential. I recommend it no matter where you have your phone or key cards, but especially is one is in the car.

I think the key card will lock the car even if the phone key is inside. Walk away locking won’t work if the key is there.