Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to Maintain Place in USB "Song" (Lecture)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jim Holder

Keep calm and trade on
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2017
Mars
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been addressed yet (couldn't easily find via search). I listen to long lectures during my drive. In ALL my ICE cars, when I navigate away to Radio or BT, etc and comeback to the USB it continues playing from where it left off.

Not so my 2017 Tesla running the latest FW (xx.7.2). It "forgets" what was playing and I have to select the track and start all over again. Arrrgh...

Any known workarounds?

If not, is there a way to request this "fix" in a future release?

Thanks

Not in the current software.

The 8.0 software release was a step backward in multiple areas for the media player.

WIth the latest software, you not only lose the position in the current USB file being played, I've found the media player completely forgets what it was doing with USB and you have to reselect the file.

Plus, the car seems to forget the USB position after resuming from sleep mode (whether it's the forced overnight sleep that can't be turned off, or by using the power settings and allowing sleep during the day).

The media player in 8.0 has some features that approved the appearance, but the media player is less useful, at least for how we were using it.

8.1 is supposed to address media player problems - which was supposed to be released late last year. We're still waiting - so all we can do is hope that these problems will be fixed this time.

What's surprising is how any beta testers would have missed the number of problems introduced by 8.0...

There is a workaround though. Instead of using the USB source on the media player, put the file on a smartphone and use the smartphone to play the file over Bluetooth.

4 years ago, that's what I discovered was the only solution for listening to audio books. And 4 years later, the media player still provide acceptable support for audio books.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Three years ago today I got my car (having ordered it three months prior) and with every update the media player, and user interface in general, has got worse. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it remembered where I was when I first got the car. That only seemed normal since a $20 media player can do that. But then it updated, and not only did it not remember, but it would play them all by itself overnight. Plus, with no AP available when I bought, we didn't have a dumb cartoon toy car in the dash, that serves no purpose. We had actual convenient to view data. Then came AP and our cartoon car appeared.. The only thing that has improved is the garage door opens and closes without pressing the screen. But I'd trade that in a heartbeat for v.6.1.

I set it to repeat for podcasts, then pause it and remember the time when I leave the car in case it resets to the beginning, which it does a lot.

Hi,

I discovered that if I pressed mute on the left screen button before I leave the car, category (USB) and track location picked up where it left off next time I arrived. I don't know if perhaps it's because I have my car on the *stay awake* option (not On though) and/or it was because I was gone for maybe an hour or so so the system didn't shutdown the media player.

I will see tomorrow morning if it still kept the place overnight by just pressing the mute button before I left the car tonight.

If you switch audio sources, the current software doesn't provide any way to go back to the same USB file and position - you have to manually select the audio file you want to play and then manually position to where you want the playback to start.

This is a "feature" added in 8.0, when they "improved" the user interface to add the merged favorite icons. Selecting the "songs" favorite doesn't resume playback of the last audio file.

These are really basic problems - either the beta testers aren't paying attention - or Tesla is ignoring problem reports on the media player.

Hoping 8.1 will fix these problems. Though I've been hoping the next release would fix media player problems - for every release in the last 4 years...

Hi,

I discovered that if I pressed mute on the left screen button before I leave the car, category (USB) and track location picked up where it left off next time I arrived. I don't know if perhaps it's because I have my car on the *stay awake* option (not On though) and/or it was because I was gone for maybe an hour or so so the system didn't shutdown the media player.

I will see tomorrow morning if it still kept the place overnight by just pressing the mute button before I left the car tonight.

UPDATE
When starting up car this morning the track and ergo the place in the track was lost even with mute pressed last night before parking for the night.

There is a correlation between time returning to the car and doors other than the drive side being opened. I have weeks of data I'm going through.

It's almost like if you return to the car within 60 min but you open a door other than the drivers first, it restarts, but if you return to the car between 1-6hrs, it doesn't. But if you return longer than 8 or overnight, it does.

I'm trying to nail down the definitive circumstances.

My car always remembers a pause on USB and slacker.

Really? So you can be listening to a podcast on USB, pause it, check the radio for say, traffic conditions, then go back to your USB podcast and it remembers where you paused it? If so, you seem to have got some secret update that no one else did.

How nice it would be to be able to do something as simply as this. I'll be driving listening to a podcast, then see it's the top of the hour, and think I'll listen to the news headlines but decide it's not worth it since I then have to find my way back to my podcast, and I keep a ton of different ones on my USB. Yet my cheap little media player that I walk my dog with can do this. It never forgets where I left off. Why Tesla can't get this right is beyond me.

Pause seems to work, as long as you don't change sources - or the software doesn't lose it's place when resuming from sleep.

But if you change sources, the current software doesn't appear to save the USB file/position information - something the 7.x releases seemed to do better.