Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to recalibrate Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WileyTheMan

Peanut Gallery Member
Apr 20, 2016
Los Gatos, CA
So I got my 3 over the weekend and am incredibly happy with it. In my opinion, Tesla delivered on their promise even if their timeline was a bit off. :) Fit-and-finish is stellar; I cannot find any bad panel gaps or trim alignment issues, and it's as responsive in driving and handling as I anticipated.

My only slight issue is that after Autopilot became enabled, it loves to hug the left-hand side of the lane. Too close for my comfort. I was thinking maybe it was just my perception because I observed that the car believed it was centered, but passengers had the same observation as I did.

My thought was that its a calibration issue. Is there a way for users to recalibrate Autopilot? Or can that only be done by Tesla?

So I got my 3 over the weekend and am incredibly happy with it. In my opinion, Tesla delivered on their promise even if their timeline was a bit off. :) Fit-and-finish is stellar; I cannot find any bad panel gaps or trim alignment issues, and it's as responsive in driving and handling as I anticipated.

My only slight issue is that after Autopilot became enabled, it loves to hug the left-hand side of the lane. Too close for my comfort. I was thinking maybe it was just my perception because I observed that the car believed it was centered, but passengers had the same observation as I did.

My thought was that its a calibration issue. Is there a way for users to recalibrate Autopilot? Or can that only be done by Tesla?
Interesting. I also feel the car favors the left side, and thought maybe it was showing me how I’ve been favoring the right side of the lane, all these years.

When I took delivery, I drove home, about 20 miles. Of course, autopilot wasn’t available yet, due to calibration, but then as I was playing with the controls in the garage, I noticed that the option to turn it on became available, and I wondered if maybe it had prematurely activated, without sufficient calibration. Do the cars continue to calibrate over time? Or is it a one time thing?

I got my car in September 2018.

I feel like in hugs the RIGHT side of the lane.
It’s uncomfortable when there’s a car to the right hugging it’s left side

Here’s an image taken from the center console. The diamond marker should be in the center; it looks painted correctly.

Thoughts?
3849EA48-2DCE-402C-BA82-172441665F70.jpeg

Attachments

• DD732178-13BA-455F-A6DA-C7CEE1A5CB1B.jpeg
    DD732178-13BA-455F-A6DA-C7CEE1A5CB1B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139

Mine did this for awhile, though was always between the lines. After several hundred miles it’s still a little left of center. Not sure if I’ve gotten used to it or it’s more centered. There are other forum posts about folks wishing Car was more right, more left, blah, blah. If you’re riding the line though that sounds more serious.

Hello all,
I am ready to purchase a perfect condition 2018 Model 3 with the Enhanced Autopilot but not the FSD feature.
For some reason, the autopilot will not engage, puts up a message something like "try it again after a restart" bu tthat doesn't help after a few restarting of the car. No error messages, just won't engage. Also, I am not able to see the correct "Road Visualizations" I see the street lines but no other cars, signs or obstacles. It does show the curb and side close proximity highlights, however.
Anyone have any explanations as to what this could be? Hoping it isn't a total failure.
Thanks a million!!

Hello all,
I am ready to purchase a perfect condition 2018 Model 3 with the Enhanced Autopilot but not the FSD feature.
For some reason, the autopilot will not engage, puts up a message something like "try it again after a restart" bu tthat doesn't help after a few restarting of the car. No error messages, just won't engage. Also, I am not able to see the correct "Road Visualizations" I see the street lines but no other cars, signs or obstacles. It does show the curb and side close proximity highlights, however.
Anyone have any explanations as to what this could be? Hoping it isn't a total failure.
Thanks a million!!
@SkyPilotLA Seems sketchy. I'm not sure I would call that a "perfect condition" car to be honest. Is it under warranty?

Even if this car is under warranty, if the issues turn out to be from a collision (signs of impact damage to any AP related hardware), that would not be covered under warranty.

Hello all,
Thanks a million!!

Im guessing that it has does not have the FSD 3.0 computer (full self driving computer) if it has enhanced autopilot but not FSD. Whomever owned the car probably paid for EAP but not FSD, so the car has the older 2.5 computer. My car came that way, but I bought FSD so got the 3.0 computer installed when that became available for my vin.

I dont think the visualizations are the same on 2.5 as they are on 3.0, so I would say that is probably "normal" for that version of the hardware if it indeed has hardware 2.5. Cant help you at all with the other part but if those features are important to you, I would recommend targeting a car with the FSD computer (hardware 3.0) showing in the "additional information" screen.