TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possible to recalibrate Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by WileyTheMan, Apr 23, 2018.

1. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

So I got my 3 over the weekend and am incredibly happy with it. In my opinion, Tesla delivered on their promise even if their timeline was a bit off. :) Fit-and-finish is stellar; I cannot find any bad panel gaps or trim alignment issues, and it's as responsive in driving and handling as I anticipated.

My only slight issue is that after Autopilot became enabled, it loves to hug the left-hand side of the lane. Too close for my comfort. I was thinking maybe it was just my perception because I observed that the car believed it was centered, but passengers had the same observation as I did.

My thought was that its a calibration issue. Is there a way for users to recalibrate Autopilot? Or can that only be done by Tesla?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Call your local Service Center to set up an appointment. It's not a user-addressable thing.

• Like x 1
  3. fseir

fseir Member

Interesting. I also feel the car favors the left side, and thought maybe it was showing me how I’ve been favoring the right side of the lane, all these years.

When I took delivery, I drove home, about 20 miles. Of course, autopilot wasn’t available yet, due to calibration, but then as I was playing with the controls in the garage, I noticed that the option to turn it on became available, and I wondered if maybe it had prematurely activated, without sufficient calibration. Do the cars continue to calibrate over time? Or is it a one time thing?

4. Jeffcm3

Jeffcm3 Member

I got my car in September 2018.

I feel like in hugs the RIGHT side of the lane.
    It’s uncomfortable when there’s a car to the right hugging it’s left side

Here’s an image taken from the center console. The diamond marker should be in the center; it looks painted correctly.

Thoughts?
    3849EA48-2DCE-402C-BA82-172441665F70.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Mine did this for awhile, though was always between the lines. After several hundred miles it’s still a little left of center. Not sure if I’ve gotten used to it or it’s more centered. There are other forum posts about folks wishing Car was more right, more left, blah, blah. If you’re riding the line though that sounds more serious.