Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to recalibrate Autopilot?

WileyTheMan

Peanut Gallery Member
Apr 20, 2016
Los Gatos, CA
So I got my 3 over the weekend and am incredibly happy with it. In my opinion, Tesla delivered on their promise even if their timeline was a bit off. :) Fit-and-finish is stellar; I cannot find any bad panel gaps or trim alignment issues, and it's as responsive in driving and handling as I anticipated.

My only slight issue is that after Autopilot became enabled, it loves to hug the left-hand side of the lane. Too close for my comfort. I was thinking maybe it was just my perception because I observed that the car believed it was centered, but passengers had the same observation as I did.

My thought was that its a calibration issue. Is there a way for users to recalibrate Autopilot? Or can that only be done by Tesla?

fseir

May 1, 2016
Honolulu
So I got my 3 over the weekend and am incredibly happy with it. In my opinion, Tesla delivered on their promise even if their timeline was a bit off. :) Fit-and-finish is stellar; I cannot find any bad panel gaps or trim alignment issues, and it's as responsive in driving and handling as I anticipated.

My only slight issue is that after Autopilot became enabled, it loves to hug the left-hand side of the lane. Too close for my comfort. I was thinking maybe it was just my perception because I observed that the car believed it was centered, but passengers had the same observation as I did.

My thought was that its a calibration issue. Is there a way for users to recalibrate Autopilot? Or can that only be done by Tesla?
Interesting. I also feel the car favors the left side, and thought maybe it was showing me how I’ve been favoring the right side of the lane, all these years.

When I took delivery, I drove home, about 20 miles. Of course, autopilot wasn’t available yet, due to calibration, but then as I was playing with the controls in the garage, I noticed that the option to turn it on became available, and I wondered if maybe it had prematurely activated, without sufficient calibration. Do the cars continue to calibrate over time? Or is it a one time thing?

Jeffcm3

Sep 24, 2018
California
I got my car in September 2018.

I feel like in hugs the RIGHT side of the lane.
It’s uncomfortable when there’s a car to the right hugging it’s left side

Here’s an image taken from the center console. The diamond marker should be in the center; it looks painted correctly.

Thoughts?
3849EA48-2DCE-402C-BA82-172441665F70.jpeg

Attachments

• DD732178-13BA-455F-A6DA-C7CEE1A5CB1B.jpeg
    DD732178-13BA-455F-A6DA-C7CEE1A5CB1B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Dana1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 20, 2018
Houston

Mine did this for awhile, though was always between the lines. After several hundred miles it’s still a little left of center. Not sure if I’ve gotten used to it or it’s more centered. There are other forum posts about folks wishing Car was more right, more left, blah, blah. If you’re riding the line though that sounds more serious.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC