Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to turn off passenger face vents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about 3 weeks out from receiving my Y and understand that the passenger side face vents don't blow air when there is no weight detected in the seat. Is there a UI option to turn them off when there IS a person in the passenger seat?

My wife hates this about our Model 3 because she doesn't like the air blowing on her.

Obviously no one at Tesla working on this UI/AC system is married lol. This would have been the first thing they put in if so.
For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single is that they took away the ability of the passenger to use voice command. I have great difficulty touching the screen accurately (I'm right handed, the car is in motion AND the screen is tilted away from me. Voice command meant I could change my climate settings, send a text, or operate the navigation system on my own. Now, I have to ask the driver to give me permission to use the voice command system by pressing the scroll wheel because the driver hates it when I lean over and push that scroll wheel myself.

WTF was Tesla thinking?

For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single (and destined to remain so), is that the voice command to open the charge port is "Open butt hole." Plus, you can have a fart sound for your horn.

For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single is that they took away the ability of the passenger to use voice command. I have great difficulty touching the screen accurately (I'm right handed, the car is in motion AND the screen is tilted away from me. Voice command meant I could change my climate settings, send a text, or operate the navigation system on my own. Now, I have to ask the driver to give me permission to use the voice command system by pressing the scroll wheel because the driver hates it when I lean over and push that scroll wheel myself.

WTF was Tesla thinking?

For me the proof that all Tesla UI folks are single (and destined to remain so), is that the voice command to open the charge port is "Open butt hole." Plus, you can have a fart sound for your horn.
So you can’t click the fan button on the bottom of the screen (which isn’t tilted) and adjust the settings? I mean I know you’re right-handed but we’re not talking about pushing a lot of spots....

So you can’t click the fan button on the bottom of the screen (which isn’t tilted) and adjust the settings? I mean I know you’re right-handed but we’re not talking about pushing a lot of spots....
Actually, no. I can hit the fan button but can't adjust the fan speed with any accuracy. Same with hitting the temp +/- accurately, repeatedly.

Volume control is nearest me, and I can pull it up so I see the volume slider but not slide it over consistently. I'd love a mute button to hit but that's not in the UI either, again it is only on the steering wheel. The only solution to the audio system frustration is to stream from my phone so that I can control mute and easily jump between things being played.

On the whole, as a passenger, the car totally sucks. Most of the time I just stare out the window or play games on my phone.

My husband recently had open heart surgery so I had to do all the driving and he is now getting a sense of how frustrating the driving experience is for the passenger, especially in the rear seat, where you can't control anything but the window and the view is partially blocked. Other cars with rear heat seaters allow those passengers to control that feature for themselves without having to bother the driver. Not Tesla.

I love driving the car. And I find the seats leave me less stiff and sore after long drives than our Prius seats did. But, in general, I was happier as a passenger in the Prius V.

On long drives in the Prius, I was very productive, using the rear seat as a work space so I wasn't bored. I would slide the passenger seat fully forward, remove the front head rest and have an unobstructed view along with a ton of leg room and was able to spread out my work on the seat beside me. If I wanted to doze, I would convert the rear passenger seat to a chaise lounge, my legs stretched out on the fully reclined front seat, with my seat back slightly reclined (as the Tesla rear seat does) still held safely in place by my seat belt. I knew the Tesla didn't have the chaise lounge option but the obstructed view because the front head rest can't be removed, is disappointing.

My girlfriend controls the sound levels, sound source and fan speed and destination all from the front passenger seat, and has never complained once. The voice control activation was also on the steering wheel in my previous car. It's the whole point of voice command: The driver shouldn't be messing around too much with the controls while driving, so you do the voice command. The passenger doesn't need to keep their eyes on the road, so you can use the screen. Not sure what's shocking there.

I do agree that turning off the passenger side air should be something easy to do though.

Reactions: AlexHung
Actually, no. I can hit the fan button but can't adjust the fan speed with any accuracy. Same with hitting the temp +/- accurately, repeatedly.

Volume control is nearest me, and I can pull it up so I see the volume slider but not slide it over consistently. I'd love a mute button to hit but that's not in the UI either, again it is only on the steering wheel. The only solution to the audio system frustration is to stream from my phone so that I can control mute and easily jump between things being played.

On the whole, as a passenger, the car totally sucks. Most of the time I just stare out the window or play games on my phone.

My husband recently had open heart surgery so I had to do all the driving and he is now getting a sense of how frustrating the driving experience is for the passenger, especially in the rear seat, where you can't control anything but the window and the view is partially blocked. Other cars with rear heat seaters allow those passengers to control that feature for themselves without having to bother the driver. Not Tesla.

I love driving the car. And I find the seats leave me less stiff and sore after long drives than our Prius seats did. But, in general, I was happier as a passenger in the Prius V.

On long drives in the Prius, I was very productive, using the rear seat as a work space so I wasn't bored. I would slide the passenger seat fully forward, remove the front head rest and have an unobstructed view along with a ton of leg room and was able to spread out my work on the seat beside me. If I wanted to doze, I would convert the rear passenger seat to a chaise lounge, my legs stretched out on the fully reclined front seat, with my seat back slightly reclined (as the Tesla rear seat does) still held safely in place by my seat belt. I knew the Tesla didn't have the chaise lounge option but the obstructed view because the front head rest can't be removed, is disappointing.
Double tap the volume to mute.

Does anyone know why older Model 3s never got the update to disable passenger vent with nobody in the passenger seat? I can’t imagine it’s a hardware limitation, but I’m not 100% sure. I’d definitely like to be able to turn it off when I’m driving alone so I can keep fan speed down as more air blows on the driver.

My girlfriend controls the sound levels, sound source and fan speed and destination all from the front passenger seat, and has never complained once. The voice control activation was also on the steering wheel in my previous car. It's the whole point of voice command: The driver shouldn't be messing around too much with the controls while driving, so you do the voice command. The passenger doesn't need to keep their eyes on the road, so you can use the screen. Not sure what's shocking there.

I do agree that turning off the passenger side air should be something easy to do though.
If you’re on the phone the voice commands do nothing. If you have no internet connection they do nothing. It’s also faster to just press a button than wait for the voice assistant to be called up, speak your command, verify it heard you correctly and wait for it to actually do what you asked. I use voice commands almost never except maybe to input a destination into the navigation while driving. For everything else it’s much faster to just tap the screen.

Does anyone know why older Model 3s never got the update to disable passenger vent with nobody in the passenger seat? I can’t imagine it’s a hardware limitation, but I’m not 100% sure. I’d definitely like to be able to turn it off when I’m driving alone so I can keep fan speed down as more air blows on the driver.
Maybe ask on the M3 forum? Although I doubt anyone would have a definitive answer.

My theory - and this is purely a theory - is that they added a servo-controlled louver inside the passenger side duct and didn’t add one to the driver’s side. This would explain why older 3s don’t have it, and also why it’s not controllable in the UI, because you can’t also toggle the driver’s side (would be silly to only be able to toggle one side).

The energy benefits would come from being able to run the driver’s side at a lower fan speed to achieve the same level of air flow.

Sad but I’m thinking about printing something like this with the air venting up to the windshield instead of your face. That way the auto mode set and forget is useable again.