Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to upgrade MS 100D to P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been asking different reps and so far only one has said that there is a future upgrade. Does anyone know if this is true or when this may be offered? Looking to upgrade an already great car... hoping that just like the software upgrades we'll be able to have some modular HW upgrade options as well!

definitely possible to upgrade - via trading in the car and purchasing the performance version.
If you mean, can you get an upgraded inverter, drive unit, cabling, and software: that's only possible in theory or if you can hack the car... not supported by Tesla

There may be some third party upgraders someday, but the S 100D and S P100D have different hardware. At one time the 90D and P90D had the same battery pack, but I believe they only put the upgraded fuse in the P100D pack now. More importantly the P100D has the larger rear motor and the 100D has the smaller rear motor. The drive unit would have to be replaced.

I strongly doubt Tesla is ever going to offer this kind of upgrade. The P100D is the special hypercar version of the Model S/X and they aren't going to let the riff raff (like me) upgrade willy nilly. The P series cars are always the cutting edge of performance and they go obsolete the fastest. If you want a used P car that is a little behind the cutting edge, you can probably find one fairly cheap. Due to supply and demand the large pack S cars without performance tend to hold their value better than the P cars. Large pack non-P drivers tend to keep their cars longer because they aren't chasing that extra 0.1s 0-60.

Personally, I'm happy with the better range. I get motion sick launching too hard and never do it in my S 90D. My SO did and loved it, my dinner started coming up. She wanted to be a race car driver though. Feeling that kick of acceleration can be kind of fun sometimes, but all in all, the longer range is more useful and the standard S has more than enough passing power.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18