TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possible to use Tesla Wall Charger to charge our CMax Energi as well?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by FlyErik, Dec 15, 2018.

1. FlyErik

FlyErik Member

We plan to have a Tesla 240v wall charger installed in our house and we also own a Ford CMax Energi. Does an adapter exist which would allow us to plug the CMax in when we're not charging the Model 3?
    Info seems very scarce online so I haven't had any luck finding the reverse of the adapter we all got with our Model 3s.
    Thanks in advance for any guidance!!
    Erik in the Bay Area

2. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

I use the JDapter to charge my Bolt with a Tesla HPWC. Available here JDapter Stub

• Helpful x 2
  3. FlyErik

FlyErik Member

Excellent info! I appreciate that! I'll have to put that on my wish list as it's pretty pricey for now, but at least there's an option! Thanks again!

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

It'll be cheaper to have the Tesla charger (sounds like a hpwc) installed with a 240v plug adjacent.

5. saltsman

saltsman Member

Why not just install a NEMA 14-50 plug and use the Tesla Mobile Connector and something that does J1172? Swap as needed. Or just install two 14-50 plugs and leave both plugged in?

Adapt at the plug end, not the connector end.

6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Hpwc allows 48 Amp charging and is a more durable device. And, 14-50 plugs are not designed for repeated plug-in and plug-out (Will need to replace the outlet)... That being said, if neither matters, yeah get a plug and switch off evse's... Still recommend two plugs or a hpwc plus a plug

7. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Does anyone have two HPWCs daisy-chained with one using the JDapter? Will the units still load share if it is not two Teslas?

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Good example what I try to point out to people that its not a wall charger. Its just a cord or cable.

9. notAnExpert

notAnExpert Member

If we are going to be pedantic, it isn’t “just a cord or cable”. It is electric vehicle supply equipment or charging equipment.

10. notAnExpert

notAnExpert Member

@FlyErik
    How do you currently charge the Ford?

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

The other option is to install a regular J1772 EVSE and use Tesla’s adapter to charge the Tesla. That would probably be cheaper than buying a wall adapter and a J-adapter. Also, other companies make chargers with more features than Tesla does, including the ability to schedule charging and track energy usage.

• Like x 1
  12. miimura

miimura Active Member

Yes, this configuration works. Others have posted on TMC that they do that. One specific case I recall was a Model S and a Bolt EV. You can also buy a Wall Connector with the connector changed to J1772, sold by the same company that makes the JDapter.

• Helpful x 1