Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible upcoming events: Autocross

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Recently a couple of our club members attended an autocross event. They had a great time and suggested that perhaps our club membership would be interested in participating in a similar event.

I did some research and learned that the Porsche Club of America (PCA) regularly organize these events. There are several PCA clubs in the state broken down by region. I contacted organizers in two of their largest regions, the Suncoast and Gold Coast regions. In both cases their organizers welcome non-PCA members and non-Porsche vehicles to participate in their autocross events.

By way of example, here is a link to the Suncoast region autocross upcoming events.

Suncoast Florida Region - Autocross

Here is a link to their next event:

Autocross – Tampa Bay Downs

As you can see the cost to non-PCA members is $40 for those that pre-register on-line and $50 to register on the day of the autocross.

The Gold Coast region doesn't currently list their autocross events on their website, but hopefully we will be able to obtain their schedule and participate assuming there is interest.

So, to gauge interest if you are interested in participating in an Autocross event (either on the east coast or west coast of Florida) I would appreciate it if you would let me know by posting here.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them as well.

Thanks.

Larry

Love to try this but I am wary of it being a competition sport and the inherent danger of inexperienced drivers (me) not knowing how to drive in a competition setting and damaging my car (The wife would divorce me)

Hopefully the Drag racing will wet the appetite of some of the members enough that they may want to try this:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/products-page/events/june-28th-2014-homestead-miami-speedway/

Once I have the Drag race over I would be happy to arrange the PDG experience although it is $300 it will be a great way to get to know your Tesla and doing 120+mph round the Homestead track is a great way to spend an afternoon (I know as I have driven the track a few times) :scared:

Love to try this but I am wary of it being a competition sport and the inherent danger of inexperienced drivers (me) not knowing how to drive in a competition setting and damaging my car (The wife would divorce me)

Hi Steve,

I understand your concern. However, in the case of the Porsche Club events instruction is available.

I have not attended an Autocross event, but it is my understanding that you are not racing against other vehicles. For short Autocross courses you are the only car racing the track. On longer distance Autocross courses the cars are spaced out along the course.

Here are some additional links describing the Autocross events.

Autocross Guidelines

What is an Autocross?

In particular, here's an excerpt from the link above. This is from the Gold Coast Porsche Club Autocross organizers.

Q. What about new comers? Can I get some instruction?

A. Glad you asked! Newcomers are encouraged to get involved and instruction is provided at each event by some of our National Champion instructors. Here’s some of the details about our AutoX instruction that is offered at each event to 1st timers which is designed to get more new comers out to the Autox site and watch, participate, and hopefully become regular competitors. In a nut shell, here’s how it works. Potential newcomers are identified during the Pre registration process. In most cases, e-mails or phone calls are exchanged to help take the edge off. A special run group/class is available for new comers called our S/N class for stock novice. This means no significant past motor sport experience and a completely stock car. After the driver meeting, all newcomers meet with the event chair for a special meeting to make sure all is ok, and an instructor is assigned to ride along and assist. In most cases a student will get input from multiple instructors and let the student ride with the instructor when they run. We even have special awards for newcomers!
Soooo. What are you waiting for. Come one out to our next AutoX and join in the Fun check the Kassette or Gold coast region website for event dates and locations.

Hopefully the Drag racing will wet the appetite of some of the members enough that they may want to try this:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com/products-page/events/june-28th-2014-homestead-miami-speedway/

Once I have the Drag race over I would be happy to arrange the PDG experience although it is $300 it will be a great way to get to know your Tesla and doing 120+mph round the Homestead track is a great way to spend an afternoon (I know as I have driven the track a few times) :scared:

I want to thank you again for taking the initiative regarding the drag racing event. I think it is useful to mention the PDG experience here so others know of other racing events.

When you are ready to arrange the PDG experience, please start another separate thread for it.

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:

Similar event, I went road racing about 7 years ago at Sebring Raceway with the Porsche Club (okay, I was in a Miata, not a Porsche, but they didn't laugh at me.....much). Since the car I was running on the track was my only way to get from Sebring back to Tampa, and my only way to get to work on Monday, I had some concerns myself. But it was definitely a safe event, nobody is looking to end up with a mangled vehicle. To put it in perspective, if someone has come up behind you, you give a hand signal to let them know which side you want them to pass you on, and if you are the car in back, until you get that signal, you are not allowed to pass, so everything is kept safely within people's comfort zone. It's really a great opportunity to do what you probably want to do every day with your car, without the fear of getting a ticket. I'm too far from Miami or I'd love to come out.

Larry's first post has a link to a Tampa event in August. I might be up for that one even though it's technically ladies day. Jaguar had a promotional event at Tampa Bay Downs a couple years ago where they let you drive all the models and it included a short autocross. We did it and had a blast. Will probably be a little more careful with our own car though. ;)

My wife and I attended the St Pete Porsche Club Autocross a few weeks ago and I had one of most fun days of my life. I mostly drove my Roadster Sport and my wife drove my Model S. I can't believe I never did this before!! My wife was very nervous about the event at first. (She only started driving a few years ago) The instructors and everyone were so helpful and supportive that by the end of the day my wife had chopped a huge amount from her lap times and was having a blast. Her confidence and skill as a driver has improved greatly and it was a great shared experience. I have owned and loved my Roadster for 2.5 years now and this event was the first time I felt like I really got to drive her and begin to know what she is capable of and more fully appreciate what an amazing vehicle she is. Aggressive driving in a safe ticket free environment with talented instructors and enthusiastic nice people for $40 felt like a huge bargain and was a really amazing way to enjoy a beautiful day :). I'll try to post some video. I encourage everyone to give it a try. I can't wait to do it again!!

I'm too far from Miami or I'd love to come out.

Hi Bob,

I want to emphasize that I coordinated with both the Suncoast and Gulf Coast Region Porsche Clubs of America and Autocross events are available to us on both Florida coasts. As Rick points out the next Suncoast Region event is at Tampa Bay Downs.

I'm just trying to gauge overall interest to see if there enough interest to warrant coordinating a meet-up at one of these events.

Larry