Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some pictures of the space on the left mirror where the wind blows through and makes the whistling noise. With the tape in place there is no whistling noise at all. So far it has not prevented the mirror from folding and unfolding.

Pictures speak a 1000 words. Thanks !!

I may try some painters tape first and see if I notice any difference. I've been pretty happy but always worth experimenting in case I can do better.

Here are some pictures of the space on the left mirror where the wind blows through and makes the whistling noise. With the tape in place there is no whistling noise at all. So far it has not prevented the mirror from folding and unfolding.

With the mirror in the normal position you can barely see the tape.
View attachment 494437
With the mirror folded, you can see the black duck tape covering the chrome metal.
View attachment 494438

View from under the mirror, folded.
View attachment 494439
View from under the mirror, unfolded.
View attachment 494440
Interesting. That’s the only place where they didn’t put the chrome delete film. Gonna see if I can get some from them and apply it. Thanks!

Thanks a million for this thread, especially the mirror tape pictures. I had previously taped the front of my driver's mirror which did not eliminate the noise, but taping up the front and bottom of the mirror appears to have helped greatly. It's not the prettiest solution, but at least it's something to tell my SC.

I'm worried this is a design flaw with the raven redesign, hopefully Tesla will put out a service bulletin with a reliable fix.

They must have forgotten to put a seal on the inside between the mirror arm and housing because I can't see anything wrong on the outside and the right side mirror has the same gap but does not make any wind noise. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is missing since the noise is now gone and the mirror works fine. The first time I have it in the service center I'll have them fix it correctly.

Reactions: davezforce
They must have forgotten to put a seal on the inside between the mirror arm and housing because I can't see anything wrong on the outside and the right side mirror has the same gap but does not make any wind noise. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is missing since the noise is now gone and the mirror works fine. The first time I have it in the service center I'll have them fix it correctly.

Did you ever take this and get it fixed properly fixed at the SC? I took delivery of my Raven X back in December and am experiencing the same issue as you (and others have had) with the wind making a whistle around the mirror. It took me weeks to figure out where the hell this noise was coming from but then stumbled on this thread. I didn't even consider it being outside the car. I was sure it was a leak in the window or windshield.

That said, I've been able to fold my mirrors in and the sound goes away so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I'm going to test it out with some tape tomorrow.

It's so weird that it would only happen on the driver side mirror and not the other one. They appear to be the same.

Thanks for the posting about the issue.

Chris

Did you ever take this and get it fixed properly fixed at the SC? I took delivery of my Raven X back in December and am experiencing the same issue as you (and others have had) with the wind making a whistle around the mirror. It took me weeks to figure out where the hell this noise was coming from but then stumbled on this thread. I didn't even consider it being outside the car. I was sure it was a leak in the window or windshield.

That said, I've been able to fold my mirrors in and the sound goes away so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I'm going to test it out with some tape tomorrow.

It's so weird that it would only happen on the driver side mirror and not the other one. They appear to be the same.

Thanks for the posting about the issue.

Chris

I haven't taken it in yet. I made an appointment but will probably cancel since it is a long drive and only during my work hours and they won't send a ranger for this. There is no wind noise now so I can wait until I have some other reason to take the car in.

Thanks for this thread. I have had the exact same issue since I got my Raven X Performance in August 2019 in Sweden and it drives me nuts since the car is extremely silent otherwise. Same here, it is only noticable between 20-50mph and it changes pitch when going faster. If I fold the mirrors the noise is gone. Problem only exists on the driver side mirror. Service centers have not been able to fix this and they said my chrome delete was the problem even though the noise have been there since day 1 (no chrome delete done then) when I got it.

The noise disappears as soon as it rains so it must be a very very small leakage somewhere. I tried to pour water at the same place and the sound also disappears for some time. I wonder if there will be a service bulletin for this going forward. Ill try to make sure the Service centre in Stockholm are aware about this thread. I am also guessing that a seal is missing. Ill ask them and I might try tape in the meantime.

Thanks again. This seems to be a common problem on Raven X.

We purchased a model X in southern California end of Nov 2019. We didn't drive it more than 5 miles and could hear a whistling noise coming from the passenger side. Drove it with a salesperson and tried to convince me that if you haven't driven an electric car before that noises from the road will be more audible. I told him I have a Tesla 3, so he changed his tune to it being a different shape than the 3 and was due to the shape of the car. I asked him if the shape on the right hand side was different than the right because it was only coming from the passenger side. We returned the vehicle and ordered a new one.
So now the new one is making a whistling noise but this time coming from the driver side. Again very audible, but the repair center again said it was the shape of the car and ignored that the noise is coming from only driver side. I don't understand why they insist that this should be normal for a $100k car

I wonder if what they mean by "this is normal" is "this is a design flaw and all of our cars have this behavior, so yours isn't an exception"?

My SC was able to solve my mirror whistling by putting some kind of foam into both mirrors (they were both whistling, although the driver's mirror was much worse). I don't know specifically *where* they put the foam, other than that it's nowhere visible, but it did eliminate the noise on both sides.

I can't say if my issue is identical to anyone else's, but generally, mirror whistling seems like a solvable problem and I know mine was thankfully solved, so I would keep pressing for a solution.

Reactions: wreighven
Stumbled upon this thread from a few months ago. I picked up a 2020 Model X LR+ a couple weeks back and ran into this exact issue. Brought it to the SC and the shop foreman did a 30 sec test drive and knew what the issue was immediately. They mentioned that this was a known service bulletin and had a straight forward fix.

Problem was fixed in a couple hours and picked up the car the same day.

Screenshot of my invoice (although not super specific) if helpful for anyone else.

Attachments

• 7BCA2D8F-528A-4FDD-9AE9-F11E7B526360.jpeg
    7BCA2D8F-528A-4FDD-9AE9-F11E7B526360.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ
Stumbled upon this thread from a few months ago. I picked up a 2020 Model X LR+ a couple weeks back and ran into this exact issue. Brought it to the SC and the shop foreman did a 30 sec test drive and knew what the issue was immediately. They mentioned that this was a known service bulletin and had a straight forward fix.

Problem was fixed in a couple hours and picked up the car the same day.

Screenshot of my invoice (although not super specific) if helpful for anyone else.

Do you have the service bulletin number? Or the actual information about what should be done?

I had a whistling sound coming from what appeared to be the front passenger side. I took it to the SC (for an unrelated issue), and asked them to look into it. They tried a few things, but it didn’t seem to help. Then, they told me they “lubricated the spoiler”. I have a 2017 100D with the fixed spoiler. Somehow, however, this actually worked! Problem solved. Strange.

Hey Guys, found this thread while having the same issue with my new 2020 Raven Model X (took deliver in Sept 2020). In my case I just got it fully wrapped and this same noise popped up. I thought the wrap guys must have done something wrong because it started after they finished the chrome delete.

After much testing and inspired by many here I found that, in my case, the whistling sound came from the seem underneath the sideview mirror. I tried the tape at the folding end of the mirror, but still got the whistle. To further test I applied tape to the whole seem at the bottom and BAM! no more noise. Perhaps one of the wrap guys didn't reassemble it completely or left a part off, but I simply do not care as long as the problem is found.

The wrap guys are going to take another look at it to at least give me a temp fix until my appointment with SC comes up at the end of Oct. (Most likely they will replace the whole mirror assembly I was told) See pics below for any with this issue that want sweet relief from the horrid whistle sound.

Attachments

• DriverSideFix1.jpg
    DriverSideFix1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 263
  • PassangerSideExample1.jpg
    PassangerSideExample1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 242
I had my drivers side window regulator replaced this week. After it was done, I noticed a whistling noise while driving. Slightly cracking the window down actually fixes the problem. Works for the passenger side as well (noticed it more now). I have an appt next week to hopefully get it adjusted

I had my drivers side window regulator replaced this week. After it was done, I noticed a whistling noise while driving. Slightly cracking the window down actually fixes the problem. Works for the passenger side as well (noticed it more now). I have an appt next week to hopefully get it adjusted

Great! This was exactly my problem. When I taped it today the noise was gone. Thank you. Let me know what happens later on. Thanks!

Hey Guys, found this thread while having the same issue with my new 2020 Raven Model X (took deliver in Sept 2020). In my case I just got it fully wrapped and this same noise popped up. I thought the wrap guys must have done something wrong because it started after they finished the chrome delete.

After much testing and inspired by many here I found that, in my case, the whistling sound came from the seem underneath the sideview mirror. I tried the tape at the folding end of the mirror, but still got the whistle. To further test I applied tape to the whole seem at the bottom and BAM! no more noise. Perhaps one of the wrap guys didn't reassemble it completely or left a part off, but I simply do not care as long as the problem is found.

The wrap guys are going to take another look at it to at least give me a temp fix until my appointment with SC comes up at the end of Oct. (Most likely they will replace the whole mirror assembly I was told) See pics below for any with this issue that want sweet relief from the horrid whistle sound.

Hm. I quoted the wrong message. This was the one I should have responded to. I also taped the same location and the noise were gone. Mine is also wrapped so the wrap guy probably did something. Tesla have not been able to fix this issue. Ill see what they say. Did Tesla fix your problem? Did they replace the whole mirror assembly? Or was it possible to adjust in another way?