Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Winter Delivery with Summer Tires? Refresh S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for you guys in cold weather states. Delivery with Summer Tires.?.?

My LR 21" has been pushed back to roughly end of November from September. I live in The Denver Metro area and we get cold and snow.

Pretty sure it is what it is...but how do you all handle delivery of a vehicle with summer tires that should be not be driven or kept in weather below 40 degrees. The Tesla center I will be delivered to does not have indoor storage as far as I know. I guess It will require a little bit of luck with the weather but I am keeping my fingers crossed that when the car arrives it's not a blizzard out and freezing. I do not want to damage my tires/vehicle.

I do put snow tires on all my vehicles and I planned to do something with the Tesla but was really hoping to have some seat time before immediately needing to swap tires and possibly wheels.

Anyone have any opinions?? I will eventually likely get a set of winter wheels/tires and keep the 21"s for summer duty. Thinking a set of 20"s or maybe 19"s for winter. Has anyone done any research yet for the refresh.

Reactions: MattMac
Question for you guys in cold weather states. Delivery with Summer Tires.?.?

My LR 21" has been pushed back to roughly end of November from September. I live in The Denver Metro area and we get cold and snow.

Pretty sure it is what it is...but how do you all handle delivery of a vehicle with summer tires that should be not be driven or kept in weather below 40 degrees. The Tesla center I will be delivered to does not have indoor storage as far as I know. I guess It will require a little bit of luck with the weather but I am keeping my fingers crossed that when the car arrives it's not a blizzard out and freezing. I do not want to damage my tires/vehicle.

I do put snow tires on all my vehicles and I planned to do something with the Tesla but was really hoping to have some seat time before immediately needing to swap tires and possibly wheels.

Anyone have any opinions?? I will eventually likely get a set of winter wheels/tires and keep the 21"s for summer duty. Thinking a set of 20"s or maybe 19"s for winter. Has anyone done any research yet for the refresh.
I can tell you from experience that Tesla will deliver your vehicle with Summer tires and it’s basically your job to “figure it out”.

When my MY was originally delivered, no one made a 21” winter tire option. Not Tesla, no 3rd parties. Hopefully things with the MS will be different but I’m not holding my breath.

I can tell you from experience that Tesla will deliver your vehicle with Summer tires and it’s basically your job to “figure it out”.

When my MY was originally delivered, no one made a 21” winter tire option. Not Tesla, no 3rd parties. Hopefully things with the MS will be different but I’m not holding my breath.
Yeah that is kind of what I figured....I suppose one option would be to have Tesla swap tires right at delivery but I do not want 21" winters. plus I am not sure they even make them in the size needed. Guess it will just be luck of the draw. Hopefully the car comes closer to September my original EDD. Hoping for a surprise end of quarter push..

Reactions: MattMac
Yeah that is kind of what I figured....I suppose one option would be to have Tesla swap tires right at delivery but I do not want 21" winters. plus I am not sure they even make them in the size needed. Guess it will just be luck of the draw. Hopefully the car comes closer to September my original EDD. Hoping for a surprise end of quarter push..
I also live in the Denver metro and had this exact issue when we took delivery of our LR X (with 22" summer wheels/tires) last September. I had ordered the Tesla snow tire/wheel package ahead of time, but they were either backed up or having delivery issues and it didn't arrive until 4 weeks later. We ended up driving to Grand Lake and through RMNP where the temps dipped quite low and hit winter conditions. The tires performed *poorly* in winter mix conditions, but they don't seem to be any worse for the wear nearly a year later. I figure I'll be through the tread soon enough and am not worrying about warranty or issues (fingers crossed!)

I've got an S on order set for delivery in March 2022 and will again roll the dice to try and time the order/delivery of a winter tire/wheel package around the same time (assuming they offer one) and be careful about the conditions I take it out in until delivery.

I took delivery of refresh Model S LR with 21" arachnids and realize I need an all weather or winter tire option. SC told me can't downgrade to 19" since calipers too big, etc. Living in New York, not sure this is viable in the months ahead. I'm trying to save the environment by going EV but at the same time rooting for global warming for the summer tires. Anyone have any ideas? Or interest to purchase my car with less than 100 miles? Black, garaged, delivered on Sep 18.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I took delivery of refresh Model S LR with 21" arachnids and realize I need an all weather or winter tire option. SC told me can't downgrade to 19" since calipers too big, etc. Living in New York, not sure this is viable in the months ahead. I'm trying to save the environment by going EV but at the same time rooting for global warming for the summer tires. Anyone have any ideas? Or interest to purchase my car with less than 100 miles? Black, garaged, delivered on Sep 18.
That is total BS regarding the calipers. Do they not know Tesla sells factory 19’s with this very same vehicle?