Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possibly trading my Lexus IS350 F Sport for used 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking to buy a used 2017 Model S 75D. The Carfax says it has been side swiped but the side airbags didn't deploy. I checked it out in person and I can barely tell the left side was repaired. I used to paint in bodyshops for roughly 20 years before I got into IT so I have a really good eye for shotty work. Every car site I see this particular car its listed as a "Great Value".

But is it?

The trim package is listed as a 60D but I checked it out and its definitely a 75D.

Should I pass on this or at least take it for a test drive?

Sales Ad Here

CarFax Here

Is this a great price or should I steer clear of it?

I didn't recall that Tesla even offered a 60D by 2017. I was thinking the smallest they had at that time was a 70. There were a few cars which werew sold actually as lower capacity but actually had the 75 battery pack. There was an option later where for a fee Tesla would unlock the extra capacity for you. That's probably what happened with this car, although I would have expected was more a 70 to a 75, not a 60 to a 75.

You show Noblesville, IN as your location. You might try contacting the Tesla service center over in Castleton area. I don't know if you explained you're evaluating buying this if they would confirm for you the history of any battery upgrade. I'd also want to make sure that given the extent of collision damage that the VIN is not blacklisted in Tesla system as salvage car. If it is, you won't have supercharging and I wouldn't touch it. They may not do this as they generally will not give out service history on car to anyone other than the owner, but in this case they be able/willing to tell you if the VIN is black listed.

If the car is local to the Indy area it may likely have been repaired at Connan's? If so, and you explained the situation to them, they might be able to confirm for you what level of repair they really needed to perform.

Good luck.

Well, I'd never buy any used car. But No warranty, small battery, still a good chunk of change. I'd pass.
You would probably still get some battery and drivetrain warranty 8 years or infinite miles.
You very likely would not get free supercharging because it passed through a dealers hands.
If you can find a private sale with some warranty left and free supercharging in that price range it would be nice.

I also found this one. I havent seen the CarFax on it yet but he came down to a price I can live with. The only thing is i have to drive 4 hours to go see it. He has a Model Y order so he's selling his 2017 Model S 75. It's just RWD but he did say it has FSD. I think I want the AWD over FSD anyway. This one still has at least 3 years left on the DU and Battery.

View attachment 789742
1649035193318.png

1649035223751.png

How about this one?

I went from a Lexus (GS350-Fsport) to a 2017 75D last year so Ive been in your shoes. Ill preface my statement by saying that there are folks on this site who know way more about Teslas than I do, so ask questions and someone will answer them. Here are a few things to think about as you embark on your search. I would say that the model 3 is similar in size to your IS. You could probably get a newer Model 3 with more warranty left on the car than an older S.
1. Wind noise - The lexus cabin is definitely more quiet than the S, especially at highway speeds, so just be prepared for lots of wind noise.
2. If you're into music and have the Mark Levinson system in your lexus, I would look for a Tesla with the premium sound system. The standard system is pretty weak.
3. Of the two vehicles you posted, I would probably choose the second with the white interior. Since you would be buying it from an owner, he/she could share their experiences with the car, and any known issues.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decided to buy.

Never understood why people mention F Sport with the model of Lexus they have as it's only a cosmetic package and adds 0 performance unless you just want to mention you didn't have a base looking Lexus.
I went from a Lexus (GS350-Fsport) to a 2017 75D last year so Ive been in your shoes. Ill preface my statement by saying that there are folks on this site who know way more about Teslas than I do, so ask questions and someone will answer them. Here are a few things to think about as you embark on your search. I would say that the model 3 is similar in size to your IS. You could probably get a newer Model 3 with more warranty left on the car than an older S.
1. Wind noise - The lexus cabin is definitely more quiet than the S, especially at highway speeds, so just be prepared for lots of wind noise.
2. If you're into music and have the Mark Levinson system in your lexus, I would look for a Tesla with the premium sound system. The standard system is pretty weak.
3. Of the two vehicles you posted, I would probably choose the second with the white interior. Since you would be buying it from an owner, he/she could share their experiences with the car, and any known issues.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decided to buy.
1) Agree my Lexus cabin seems to be quieter than my Tesla's
2) Can't say I ever been that impressed with my Mark Levinson so can't say if the premium sound is better or just the same but don't have a standard audio system to compare it to.

Well unfortunately I don't have the ML sound system and I am not a hard core audiophile. The FSport on the IS adds just the badging, different grille and the better wheels..that's it.

My Lexus mirrors whistle going down the highway at speed, and its very noticeable. When I turn the radio up for listening in the Tesla, I don't hear wind noise, when I do the same in the Lexus, I have to turn it up a little louder.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a buyer for the Lexus so it wont be too long before I get a Tesla from a private seller. These used car dealerships let their Tesla batteries die then you have to come back the next day for a test drive. They have no clue how to care for Tesla's. I'm done with that crap!!