Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Brexit Price Increase Due 1st October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

New to forum...

I've been considering buying a new Model S 75 and my local showroom said today that there is a significant price increase coming on the 1st October, owing to the post Brexit $/£ exchange rate. This absolutely makes sense (my business buys mainly US product and we're really feeling it) but could see no mention of it on here. Wondered if anyone else had heard similar?

I'm almost ready to push the button but need a little longer to get my head around charging (I can't charge at home and am concerned about causing myself stress I don't need!).

Thanks,

James

Hi all

New to forum...

I've been considering buying a new Model S 75 and my local showroom said today that there is a significant price increase coming on the 1st October, owing to the post Brexit $/£ exchange rate. This absolutely makes sense (my business buys mainly US product and we're really feeling it) but could see no mention of it on here. Wondered if anyone else had heard similar?

I'm almost ready to push the button but need a little longer to get my head around charging (I can't charge at home and am concerned about causing myself stress I don't need!).

Thanks,

James
Hi James,

Yes a price increase is imminent , another UK poster has been given the same info . In regards to charging , do you have an option at your place of work? If it's a no I would seriously question buying a Tesla .

Kind regards
Tanflado

Thanks Tanflado.

As for charging - I have 3 phase power at my office but my business designs, installs and supports home technology systems (cinema, lighting, audio, Wi-Fi, etc) which means I cover approx 15k miles a year. Today I'm at the office all day, but Tuesday-Thursday I'm working in client homes, which isn't unusual. Friday I'm staying at home with the kids. This week would be a charging headache for me...

As a little experiment, recently I have been resetting the trip meter of my current car every time I spend 6+ hours at the office and 70% of the time it works out fine, but the other 30% of the time would require me to start earlier and/or finish later to allow for charging time at a local (ish) Supercharger. And my days are long enough already.

In fact, writing this out has been quite cathartic - you've helped to make up my mind, Tanflado.

Thanks... I think! ;-)

I can't charge at home

I don't think charging somewhere you have to drive to, i.e. like filling a car with petrol, is workable for a Tesla. Either charge at work, or home, but not at a public charger. Even if you had a Supercharger 5 miles down the road, and could charge for free, sitting there for an hour a week, or whatever, would just not work. 25,000 miles a year on a decent off-peak price, is only about £ 500 a year, so charging for "free" at a supercharger isn't really much of a saving for anyone who values their time.

There may be OLEV grants, might also be local council grants??, to install a charger at work so worth checking that and asking your employer what they can do (assuming you aren't the boss?!!)

Sorry, crossed with your reply ...

Tuesday-Thursday I'm working in client homes

Plug in 13 amp when you get there? that is only, what, 4 MPH? but that's still 30 miles per day.

30% of the time would require me to start earlier and/or finish later to allow for charging time at a local (ish) Supercharger

What sort of speed can you do when visiting clients? If it is 50 MPH, rather than 80 MPH :) you'll be surprised how much extra range that is.

I see advice given, for long-distance journeys, to watch the Energy Graph, and moderate speed if it is yellow, but if / when it changes to Green (because you have been frugal) then speed up.

I take the opposite view :) which is to start off at my max cruising speed as in UK I'm almost bound to encounter 50 MPH roadworks or a traffic jam, and that usually takes care of my range, so I prefer to cruise at speed (with higher energy use) when I can, and if necessary slow down for the final leg if the road was, miraculously!, clear all the way. I am pleasantly surprised, when I encounter some roadworks, how much my range increases.

The other thing is to get a 90 ( or a P100DL!!) rather than a 75 for the extra range

Reactions: callmesam
I'm wouldn't be comfortable asking my clients to charge my car at their house. I'm sure some of them would feel a bit put-out, even if they might not actually say it and making my clients feel uncomfortable is the opposite of what I spend my life doing! ;-)

And for me, changing my driving style considerably just to drive a cool car would detract from the cool factor.

If I was made of money I might pay the extra to a 90/100, but... and even then I don't think the extra 40 miles or whatever would make a huge difference (certainly not for the extra cost), given my lifestyle and potential opportunities to charge. I'd be far better off putting the £50k difference towards moving to a house where I could charge! :)

I think I got sucked in by the below when I started looking into this but the more I delve into it, sadly it's a problem that would make Tesla ownership for me too restrictive and frustrating.

Tesla Charging Story

I'm wouldn't be comfortable asking my clients to charge my car at their house. I'm sure some of them would feel a bit put-out, even if they might not actually say it and making my clients feel uncomfortable is the opposite of what I spend my life doing! ;-)

And for me, changing my driving style considerably just to drive a cool car would detract from the cool factor.

If I was made of money I might pay the extra to a 90/100, but... and even then I don't think the extra 40 miles or whatever would make a huge difference (certainly not for the extra cost), given my lifestyle and potential opportunities to charge. I'd be far better off putting the £50k difference towards moving to a house where I could charge! :)

I think I got sucked in by the below when I started looking into this but the more I delve into it, sadly it's a problem that would make Tesla ownership for me too restrictive and frustrating.

Tesla Charging Story
Yes it has to fit in with your lifestyle/routine , being able to charge at home/work for 90% + of the time works well but anything less than that could prove problematic I think ?

I'm wouldn't be comfortable asking my clients to charge my car at their house.

I can see that ... the reality (costwise) is different of course - indeed, you could pay them for the juice, perhaps they would be surprised how little it actually was and thus you would also be widening the EV education. I was wondering whether, given that you are selling AV home entertainment solutions, your clients would actually think it was cool? Perhaps the package you install should include an EV charging point - and then avail yourself of immediately :p. But I do understand that some, many, maybe even all, your clients would turn their nose up.

changing my driving style considerably just to drive a cool car would detract from the cool facto

Yup. Coolest thing for me is leaving home with a full tank of fuel each day. Conversations with non-EV people about spending 30 minutes charging, and their inevitable negativity to that, I follow up with "How often do you do more than 250 miles in a day? I leave home every day with a full tank of fuel, so the occasional 30 minute [yeah, bit economical with the truth there!!] FREE refuelling stop every 3 hours on a long journey is about when I need a break anyway".

even then I don't think the extra 40 miles or whatever would make a huge difference (certainly not for the extra cost)

Absolutely 100% my thought too. I was very tempted to take early delivery of the 85 instead of paying for the 90 on the grounds that I had already had that thought when I placed my original order and my reasons for NOT buying the 90 where "too expensive for just a few miles". Of course now I've paid the money anyway and my thinking is coloured by having the use of it rather than the prospect of a big purchase price :); I've never been in a situation where those few miles would have made the difference to getting home, and not, but every week they make a difference to how long I have to charge and, perhaps more importantly, to how quickly I can gain miles at a supercharger. The 90 charges significantly more miles (from "empty") in the first 30 minutes than a 75 will do. But, yeah, its a depreciating asset and paying off debt, or buying a house, is a better use of the money if you can only spend it just the once ...

Tesla Charging Story

Interesting read, and the pain associated with being an early adopter. My wife has two comments about the S: its too wide to park at the station and there aren't enough superchargers (not sure that anything less than every street corner! would swing her on that point ...)

My only thought would be that you look into location of, say, Ecotricity chargers. They are £6 for 30 minutes, which is probably about the same price as Petrol, so not brilliant, but if they are in locations that suit you when travelling back from clients AND if you can use 30 minutes to do EMails etc.? then the time is not wasted. I have a Driver setting called "Charging" that moves the seat back and the wheel up for max working space. Worth considering that you do not have to stand there pumping petrol, nor queue to pay, so if you can use the time whilst charging it is better than the time lost fuelling an ICE.

All valid points, thanks for your input.

One of the other factors that I hadn't mentioned is that I'm currently in a lease agreement that would have cost me around £5k to get out of. So the sensible thing to do is wait another 18 months until that lease is up and review the situation. It's just that the Model S is the kind of car that can make a tech-head make not-very-sensible decisions! ;-)

With a bit of luck in 18 months I'll either have moved to a house with a driveway or Elmbridge council will install electric charging points close to my house (which is in right in the middle of Weybridge town centre, so it's a decent possibility)

Hello, new here as well. Just been for a test drive of the Model S today, awesome car. The guy at the showroom told me the same thing regarding the October price increase and I'm now itching to get an order in as well.
There are tons of great deals going on now. Looking at the cars in Great Britain at TeslaInventory.com, I'm seeing over 30 cars with discounts from £1,900 to £23,900 off! Of course the biggest discounts are on the most expensive cars but maybe a £23,900 discount would help soften the blow somewhat. Any idea what trim/features you're looking for?

Apart from 2 cars, all the UK showroom stock seems to be taken off sale.

Strange.
Yeah. It looks like they just recently dropped from 50 cars down to 41.

Here's what was previously available:
2016-09-21_1318.png

Maybe they are actually selling the cars? GB used to have 80+ listed vehicles a few days ago and the numbers have been dropping steadily ever since.

Currently:
2016-09-21_1326.png

I was actually looking for inventory cars, which they had about 20 or so yesterday but today they have 2!

If you click on the link VIN number, you will see that most are not available
Yes. It looks like they only have 2 Inventory still available. The other 39 cars are all CPO.

It's interesting that the CPOs in GB aren't going down in price as miles are added to the odometer. In the US, it seems the prices automatically go down after every trip is put on the car.

Cant imagine they would have sold about 18 overnight - wonder if they are holding these back to increase the price.
I suppose that's a possibility. Perhaps we'll see them show up again in the future.

The discounted refreshed cars in the US have been selling like hot cakes. There aren't any more non-performance S 90s available online but still plenty of 75s. Unfortunately, it looks like the S60 available in Heathrow is an older 2015 model and can't be upgraded to 75. Several buyers in the US are switching from 60 to 75 or 75 down to 60 since it's the same car and they swap out the badge and update the software to go from one to the other.

You might still try giving the local store a call. They might have some unlisted cars available.

Last edited: