Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post delivery after market Must Have's????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of a Model Y, AWD Long Range, White on White in a couple weeks. I have seen several aftermarket options that all seem great and important.

I am particularly concerned about two things. First is the white interior. My wife said she wanted black because she is convinced the white is going to be a train wreck. How can I prove her wrong?

The second thing I am concerned about is rusting. I live in the Chicago area and sleet/salt/snow is a real threat.

If you were me, what things would do to your new Model Y and in what order assuming price is a concern and I cannot afford to drop another 10K in crazy protections/options.

Curious what people think is the must vs. the wants???

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this one...

Dave

I think people put ceramic coating for the white seat to protect it. You can try that. This is the exact reason we decided not to get a white interior. It looks awesome, but don't want to bother with the upkeep especially with a 4 and 1 year old. I heard blue jeans can stain it too, so be careful if you are wearing jeans.

Actually, everything I've seen suggests that you don't need to do anything to the white seats. They clean so easily already that ceramic coating them is just a waste of time and money. I've had the white seats in my model 3 for almost 2 years with no signs of discoloration. I just get the veining on the seat supports which I'm sure is just as common for black seats.

I live in FL and my wife has a M3 and I have a new MY. Both have the white interior including the white dash strip. We find the white seats are fine (2 yrs for hers) but we are past the kid stage. (Grand kids not yet tested.)

We wrapped her center console but left the white dash on my wife’s car as it looks good but drives me crazy because The white dash strip reflects against the side tinted windows right where the side view mirrors are. The first thing I did on my MY is buy a plastic console cover in matte carbon fiber (instead of a 3M wrap) and matching dash trim. The installation on the console was much easier and the reflected glare on the dash is greatly reduced!! Available on Amazon sold by LMZX. M3 and MY are the same.

Last edited:
The first thing I did on my MY is buy a plastic console cover in matte carbon fiber (instead of a 3M wrap) and matching dash trim. The installation on the console was much easier and the reflected glare on the dash is greatly reduced!! Available on Amazon sold by LMZX. M3 and MY are the same.

Thanks for pointing this out. My current DD is a ‘13 Toyota Avalon with chrome accents on the dash - give it the right angle, right sunlight and BAM your blinded. I wont miss that. That covers been added to “the list”

I live in FL and my wife has a M3 and I have a new MY. Both have the white interior including the white dash strip. We find the white seats are fine (2 yrs for hers) but we are past the kid stage. (Grand kids not yet tested.)

We wrapped her center console but left the white dash on my wife’s car as it looks good but drives me crazy because The white dash strip reflects against the side tinted windows right where the side view mirrors are. The first thing I did on my MY is buy a plastic console cover in matte carbon fiber (instead of a 3M wrap) and matching dash trim. The installation on the console was much easier and the reflected glare on the dash is greatly reduced!! Available on Amazon sold by LMZX. M3 and MY are the same.

Is there any chance you might be able to provide the link on Amazon? I saw several options and would be curious which you picked.

Is there any chance you might be able to provide the link on Amazon? I saw several options and would be curious which you picked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZTF9T2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081CDHMY2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also took off the Gemini wheel covers and added lug nut covers and wheel centers. It dresses up the stock wheels, saves you the upgrade cost to bigger wheels and reduces the chance of curb rash.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081M6L5S5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun

I was in the furniture business for 50 years. Also owned Mercedes with tan interior.

I've never seen a light colored leather or vinyl (old term for vegan leather) that did not allow blue or black jean dye transfer. Once the stain is there, it can't be removed. I got dinged on my Mercedes lease return because of it.

Unless they've done something special with the vegan leather to prevent dye transfer, I wouldn't buy light colored jnteriors.

My first purchases after the MY:-

Tesla tire repair kit
Jack pucks
Microfiber cloths
Tesla garage door opener
SD card and reader
Couple of console wraps - not successful, will try ABS ones next

After driving decided against:-

Screen protector
Lug nut set (keeping aero hubcaps on)
Floor mats

I was in the furniture business for 50 years. Also owned Mercedes with tan interior.

I've never seen a light colored leather or vinyl (old term for vegan leather) that did not allow blue or black jean dye transfer. Once the stain is there, it can't be removed. I got dinged on my Mercedes lease return because of it.

Unless they've done something special with the vegan leather to prevent dye transfer, I wouldn't buy light colored jnteriors.

It seems they've done something special. Before I ordered my Y with White seats, I watched 10+ YouTube videos who abuse their white seats and yet after 2+ years it still is white with no color transfer, including one guy wearing his jeans every week day for two years in his M3. Then I decided to order white and couldn't be happier. It looks absolutely awesome.

Reactions: db93
Easy options are baby wipes when you notice transfer right away. I've had success with raw denim but ymmv as Tesla is committed to CI. Haven't tried it yet but using a diluted de-greaser to clean heavy/set stains will work.

You can check out Like Tesla's videos with your wife for a Women's perspective on the white seats.

The obvious negative for white is that you can't hide dirt/mess. In a different view it makes cleaning obvious. I find you end up taking 2-5 minutes every other day tidying up to maximize the white interior. It helps with establishing the habit, becomes automatic and you capitalize. Cleaning the Tesla is a legit excuse (potential currency) to spend time to chill and be inspired. Enjoy and congrats!

The white seats reflect light which will create an artificial sense of more space which is amplified with daylight. You will have less privacy as a result and you may lose that enclosed cockpit feel.

I had full body PPF and Ceramic applied to my car. Trying to document the details and my thoughts but will need some time. If maximizing exterior quality and maintenance against the weather is high value and financially viable - do it, cut other options.

You could try partial PPF (Full Front) with the addition of PPF on the rear passenger doors + Ceramic. The PPF protects the hardest hit areas. Ceramic will provide some protection but more importantly a consistent glossy, shine and ease of maintenance. Dirt, grime, bug guts wipe off with little effort. Reputable shops will also provide warranty coverage.

The white seats are awesome. Screw black seats.

The first things I bought were a thumb drive for sentry mode, a usb hub, a matte screen protector from Abstract Ocean (super easy to install with included frame that clips on during installation), a couple usb-c to lightning cables, all weather type liners for the frunk and trunk and ppf for the front bumper/hood/fenders/headlights/fog lights/mirrors.

Next is ceramic tint for front windows and roof.

It seems they've done something special. Before I ordered my Y with White seats, I watched 10+ YouTube videos who abuse their white seats and yet after 2+ years it still is white with no color transfer, including one guy wearing his jeans every week day for two years in his M3. Then I decided to order white and couldn't be happier. It looks absolutely awesome.

Glad to hear. Trying to explain that Jean dye transfer was permanent, and we couldn't warranty or remove was a tough sell to my customers.